News on RAW 123 tubes and LionCub bezel opening

ArsMachina

Enlightened
Hi,

after I posted about my homemade ORB RAW 123 battery tube and my LionCub bezel opening mod I got many PM from people being interested in them.
Thanks again to all showing interest in my work!

I had to check out some things before I could tell if I would be able to offer my work to the public or not.

With few words, I will not offer any of them, with one little exception, but here are the details:

I got in touch with Rob from ORB to ask him for permission to make some RAW 123 tubes and he kindly allowed me to do so - thanks Rob!
When I went in my workshop to set up the lathe for making a prototype I had to realize that my lathe is not able to cut the needed 26 threads per inch. I gave it a try using 1mm threading (26 threads equals 0,97mm) and it worked, but not good enough for my taste to offer the result to the public.
Uncoated Al threads are always dangerous to get chewed up, and the danger increases when the threading does not fit perfectly.
So I decided not to offer RAW 123 battery tubes to the public, but very soon I will offer a very tiny light made out of TI and using 123 cells, so watch out at CPF for it ;-)

For my LC mod the main problem are the german customs, which are billing me around 25% of the value of every insured parcel being shipped to me.
I went to the customs asking how this would be in the case I am not buying the things being delivered to me but just will do some work on them and then sending them back.
There would be a possibiliy that I do not have to pay taxes on such items, but the way to do so it far to complicated to be usable.
So I decided not to offer the LC mod to people outside Europe, everyone interested in the bezel opening and living in Europe can get in touch with me and I will be happy to enhance the performance of his cub :)
But I am sure US people should find someone in the US having a lathe and being able and willing to do this little job on their bare metal cubs.

I am sorry it did not work out better, but on the other hand I am not to unhappy about, because so I can use all my few resources on my upcoming 123 TI light. Today some TI material arrived at me and I believe tomorrow there will be the first pics of the first completed light.

Jochen

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
I for one do appreciate you taking the time and effort to see if it was even possible to make these mods a reality for us here in the states.

Thanks again.

Curtis

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Thanks for the update and the time/effort spent evalating this. I was really looking forward to a 1x123 adapter for the Raw. Maybe Orb will craft a version in the future, however it does take away from the "small" concept of the Raw.