HDS EDC basic Any Problems?

adimag

Newly Enlightened
I am familiar with the problems that the Arc 4 had with the switch. Since the EDC is very similar to the Arc, has anyone had any problems with the switch or any thing else? I want to order one, but would like to hear from anyone with experience before I do since the cost of the EDC is at the limit of what I can afford.

Thanks!!

W4DIZ

Enlightened
The switch is fantastic.The switch on the HDS EDC is what the ARC should have been.I have had no problems with my basic 60.With that said,it dose not seem like 60 lumens to me.I have no way of checking the output other than by eye.It may very well be 60 lumens but it does not semm that bright to me.The primary setting is very usefull and has good run time.

sbebenelli

Enlightened
I just got the basic 42 on Thursday. I really like it. I have read all the threads I know of about the HDS EDC and I don't recall seeing anyone with problems. It's still new so only time will tell.

Sarius

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
W4DIZ said:
...With that said,it dose not seem like 60 lumens to me.I have no way of checking the output other than by eye.It may very well be 60 lumens but it does not semm that bright to me.The primary setting is very usefull and has good run time.

[/ QUOTE ]

No problems here with my U60. As to the brightness, I can shoot through the closed window of my 2ed story bedroom and brightly illuminate the end of my property well over 60' away. Outside it shines across our pond to the point that I can both see color and count leaves about 75 yards out.

How bright should 60 lumens be??

luxlover

Banned
adimag,
Like Sarius, I have an Ultimate 60 light. I can answer your switch question by describing it using the word FLAWLESS. As for a general description of my light, I can think of no other word than PERFECT!

In fact, if anybody saw how many times I have customized the light in both the Options and Brightness Menus since I received it on May 9th, that person would have me committed to a loony hospital. I am a serious fanatic about my light, and I am learning how my eyes and brain perceive light from the many brightness levels available. I am also learning how to match an output to a task.

My point is that if as a result of the heavy duty use (abuse?) I am exposing the light to, the switch still works perfectly, then imagine how dependable it will be when used moderately such as in a Basic series light? Both Basic and Ultimate series lights use the same switch, and since the Basic series has no customizable functions, the switch may even outlive the owner!!! Long life to both you and the light, adimag!

Sarius

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
luxlover said:
adimag,
Like Sarius, I have an Ultimate 60 light. I can answer your switch question by describing it using the word FLAWLESS. As for a general description of my light, I can think of no other word than PERFECT!

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW- while I tend to be a bit low key, I completely agree with luxlovers comments. This is the best thought out light I've ever seen- it does exactly what I'd want a light to do, and in fact, is pretty much an entire flashlight collection in one.

Also, if you have any concerns about the fact that you're talking to a computer which is then controlling the light rather than a direct mechanical connection. I'd remind you that pretty much every car on the road for the last 20 years has depended on computers. I bought a Toyota Camary in 1984 that had several microprocessors without which it would not run, and drove it for 17 years without any failure. The F16, which is over 30 year old technology is entirely computer driven- that is the pilot's controls are only computer interfaces. So this is very reliable and mature technology.

The HDS's are remarkable flashlights- you won't be sorry.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
adimag said:
I am familiar with the problems that the Arc 4 had with the switch. Since the EDC is very similar to the Arc, has anyone had any problems with the switch or any thing else? I want to order one, but would like to hear from anyone with experience before I do since the cost of the EDC is at the limit of what I can afford.

Thanks!!

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no issue with the EDC switch. It's smooth, works flawlessly and allows for tail-end standing. On another note, don't be so quick to compare the EDC to the Arc4. The EDC has advanced to the point where its no longer comparable to the Arc4. They are two different lights, with the EDC being superior in every way.

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 3 of them, does that say anything?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Lisa

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
The B60 I have is pretty good. I can't find any issues with it at all except the clip, and that is known/documented very well so I won't repeat it again. But after a local CPFer's quick fix, that is no longer an issue.