Which is better for 2D host? EverLED or TerraLux?

GiveMeLight

Newly Enlightened
After finding CPF back in February and picking up numerous small,pocketable lights since then, I'm now interested in moving into some larger sized models. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Looking to start with a 2D or 3D host (mag) and drop in a LED.
Which is better EverLED or TerraLux? (Are there others I haven't heard of?)

The biggest light I have right now is the Princeton Tec Surge. Some others I have in the pocket size; G2, L4, E1L, Q3, Orb Raw, UK 4AA-LED, Gerber Infinity Ultra

Thanks,
Gabe

greenLED

Flashaholic
Re: Which is better for 2D host? EverLED or TerraL

Get an EverLED. You can use it in lights anywhere from 1-6 batteries, IIRC. More than 3 batts and it won't be brighter than the stock bulbs, but it'll run longer.

oh, wait... what's this in my crystal ball?... you'll be doing a search for tri- tri- trilux? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Welcome to CPF!

AuroraLite

Enlightened

I too got an Everled and think that it is a worry-free led replacement for mags. It is indeed very versatile and can be used for different battery settings.

On a side note, one could also get 2 3AA to D adapters for 2D mags, and make the Everled even brighter.

Btw, did anyone try overdriving the Everled with 7 cells? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you want to go with the 3D host or re-sleeve your 2D with 3C cells (as simple as rolling and taping some paper), you can try b2eze's drop-in. This beats the stuffing out of the other mods, because it has proper heatsinking, it can tolerate extremely high drive levels, and it gives you your choice of reflector/optic combination. Plus you can choose your own premium Luxeon emitter.. or even some NON-Luxeon emitters if you prefer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It only requires soldering one line, but he offers pre-assembled TK units with no soldering required. Send him a PM, username b2eze .

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

There is also Tectite, LEDvorp and Diamond

http://www.pocketlights.com/ledbulbs_for_maglite.asp
http://www.led-replacement.com/index.html

Beware side emitters.
I have a Tectite LPR-113 (4 cell) and LPR-2 (2 cell) in fixed focus flashlights and the beam pattern is bad. There is a light ring (like a defocussed mag) a central hotspot with a big black band in between. Diffusion filter required.
If you buy the everled get the domed Lamberton version instead of the basic side emitter. Same price.
The LPR-2 does not seem to be that bright. Beats my 1,2, and 3 led lights but feels slightly dimmer than my 7 led nightbuster aqualed.

Terralux also makes the quadstar with 4x3mm leds. Very bright for 4 leds with no hint of blue. Unfortunately I smoked both mine the day I got them so is unable to comment further.

Check out the replacement bulb section of
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews_index/reviews_index_ledbulbs.htm
Mostly minimag bipin modules but quite a few PR base bulbs as well.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have the Diamond 1W regulated module in a 2D Maglite and I really love it! Really brighter than the stock bulb and a really long runtime. Probably I would try the everled too if I were to choose another drop-in.

GiveMeLight

Newly Enlightened

Thanks to all for the informative responses!
I just ordered a LEDBeam 3C.
I'm thinking I will go ahead and get an EverLED and lens also to give my father (he has several mags and the versatility of the drop-in will serve him well I think)

(greenLED; You are evil /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif now I have to read up on trilux!)

(KevinL and LEDNinja; thank you for listing some alternatives, I will explore these options also as they sound promising)

Gabe

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast

You will be very happy with the Ledbeam. It puts out a great beam for the price.

dsc007338jp.jpg

I swapped out the stock lens for a UCL lens.

dsc007356gp.jpg

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

CLHC

Flashaholic

The Diamond 3 Watt DB-3W works very well in my 3D cell Mag-Light especially with the replacement UCL lens and a LOP reflector from Light-Edge. And that's just using alkaline batteries! It sure has a long way to go before the batteries completely dead.

By the way, check this out if you have not as of yet since GreenLED whetted your appetite. . .

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1553220