be quiet tom cruise

raggie33

*the raggedier*
man he is not so smart telling folks not to take there meds. i been in a few mentle hositals i see people who go off meds they are trully scarey/ then the docs get em back adjusted its like night and day like there a difrent person. i wont ever watch one of his movies again he seems irepsnable

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two of my best friends are both married MBA psychologists. They say little frustrates them more then to see patients go off their meds and try strictly herbal or vitamin supplements and then see months or years of progress unravel right before their eyes.

If Tom Cruise is saying this, I bet he isn't speaking from experience.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cruise is a Scientologist with little to NO real experience or training in any of the specialty fields he is talking about.

He claims to have studied the "history of Psychiatry" and that it is a pseudo-science with no evidence for using the meds that are used. He actually states, "there is no such thing as a chemical imbalance"! He believes that exercise and vitamins will get you through anything! (Well, those two and enough money, anyway!!!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

His recent interviews are causing huge discussions in all kinds of forums, including here, my wifes favorite photography forum, and so on.

One of the big problems with celebrity is that it allows someone who is famous for one thing to have a huge pulpit for something else, regardless of their training or experience. We have seen huge disservice done to varied interests by celebrities who actually know nothing about what they are saying but think they do! Meryl Streep on Alar in the late '80's was another example.

While undoubtedly a fine actor, Mr. Cruise has a long way to go before he has any chance at actually BEGINNING to understand depression and other mental illness. Brooke Shields had a very good response to Mr. Cruise's criticism of her use of Paxil for treatment of her postpartum depression that is available elsewhere on the Web.

Finally, it's interesting that Mr. Cruise's conversion to Scientology occurred because he claimed it helped him overcome his lifetime problems with dyslexia, leaving behind his supposedly devout adherence to Catholocism. He actually was studying to be a priest at one point before his conversion. Now he says Scientology is a religion, but that you can be both a Scientologist and a Christian, however he couldn't explain how to do that during his recent interview with Matt Lauer.

Leaving out his religious beliefs, which is hard to do since they impact his beliefs on medical and psychiatric care so heavily, he seems to have developed a chemical imbalance of his own lately! His actions on the Oprah show would seem to confirm that!

Bill

Darell

Flashaholic
Considering he's slamming Shields for taking meds for post-partum depression, I'd say he'd pretty much HAVE to be speaking from inexperience. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

If there's nothing wrong with mending a broken arm, then there's nothing wrong with mending a chemical imbalance. But what do I know? I'm not a movie star. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
interesting how someone can say things that are so obviously wrong in every way and still have people paying attention.

The blanket statements are so utterly and completely wrong, and not even arguably wrong, that you know the rest is derived from them.

It's a shame that he's opened his mouth and removed all doubt.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apparently being in love seems to give one the right to behave like an idiot, annoy the crap out of others, be as arrogant as possible, and act as if they are oblivious to the world. If that's what it's all about, I don't think I want to be involved. And I'm not talking about just this example either.. I am starting to see a pattern.

raggie, glad to see you're all right. TAKE YOUR MEDS. There is nothing wrong with acknowledging there is a problem, for denial is far worse. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

And take heart - like we say on CPF, give them enough rope and... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The First Amendment, like another famous one that might come to mind, does also allow oneself to shoot themselves in the foot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:
...The First Amendment, like another famous one that might come to mind, does also allow oneself to shoot themselves in the foot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

May be a problem, if said foot were stuck in one's mouth. Then again, it may not be, depending on your point of view. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

drizzle

Enlightened
I have a mid-life crisis, I buy flashlights.

Tom Cruise has a mid-life crisis, he starts dating a woman that idolized him when she was a little girl, makes an *** of himself in front of the entire country over this girl, and starts to preach his prejudices on things he doesn't understand.

I think I'll stick to flashlights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

EDIT: raggie, I was making a joke about it but you are right that it is actually serious. The tragedy will be the people that listen to him, and many will, and stop taking their meds.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I agree 100%, he's acting like an attention ho.

And that ridiculous tirade with Matt Lauer - he kept harping about "you don't know the history of psychiatry." What he doesn't get (or is unwilling to admit) is that it's not about history - it's about the results, and the results are proven. He offers no contemporary facts to argue with, while there is a metric cr*pload of evidence to counter his empty argument. Psychiatry works and has saved countless lives and families.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
At the rate much of Hollywood changes their spouse, orientation, hair, body and so on I wouldn't be surprised to see Cruise denounce scientology and his new child bride in the next 2 years but I wish him well. As an actor I enjoy his movies. I saw War of the Worlds last night and thought it was very good. I feel when an actor attempts to speak as an expert on any topic other than acting, consider the source, their experience as a so called expert and usually it's best to ignore them. I think Cruise is getting wacky but he has a long way to go to catch some of those other nuts in Hollywood.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally think he's a great actor, but I also personally think he's just plain stupid sometimes.

leadfoot

Newly Enlightened
Hanging on my living room wall is a copy of my sig line. Cateorgizing(sp) people might be nonPC, but it works for me.

Leadfoot

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two observations.
One of the problems with todays 'celebrity' oriented society is nobody ever says 'NO' to many of these people. As a result we often see really strange behavior,and 'weird' belief systems. I don't know if Michael Jackson is sex offender or not, but his behavior is certainly 'strange' by most standards. Listen to interviews with many celebrities, and you are forced to conclude that many of them don't have their heads screwed on particularly straight. In part is because no one says no, no one says you are way off base, no one says you are wrong.The people they pay to look after their affairs are never going to bite the hand that feeds them.

Because no one says anything to them to correct the various errors, they start believing it is all true.

As for Tom Cruise, keep in mind that L. Ron Hubbard who founded the Church of Scientology had a real thing for the Psychiatric profession. I don't think the profession is made up of Angels, but I doubt it could possible be as dishonest and dishonorable at L. Ron Hubbard claimed. The reality is attacks on psychiatry is DOGMA to the Church of Scientology, and Cruise is simply repeating the DOGMA from the church. He has no factual basis on which to know whether it was true or false. It is like a Catholic reciting Hail Mary's. He's been told it will do him good. It is an article of faith. But just because it is an article of faith is no assurance at all that actually has any real impact on anything!

Is there any proof that Muslim terrorist who die in a Jihad actually go to paradise? Is there any proof they go to hell? Is there any proof they do anything other than die when the blow themselves to bits? That's the basic problem with Dogma and articles of faith. Just because you are taught it is true, does not make it true.

The Scientific world is littered with 'conventional wisdom' held to be true for hundreds of years before eventually being proven to be false. The Physician who suggested most stomach ulcers were related to a bacterial infection was just about laughed out of the Profession 25 years ago. His career was just about destroyed. Nobody is laughing anymore because it turned out he was correct, it took a long time to prove it to everyone's satisfaction.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I tend to believe in that which is observable and repeatable by scientific observation, but I'm funny that way. Must be a chemical imbalance.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
people in fact do listen and pay attn to celebs i for one would only listen to people such as dan marino in his area which is throwing a football or lance armstrong on how to win races i sure wont liten to tom crusie for anthing other then actin.but it is sad it is a fact some people ill listen to tom cruise he is on tv all the time voiceing his opions and stateing em as facts

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mattheww50, very well put, thank you!

And yet, what so often draws people to the initial levels of Scientology are the real results obtained with his having stolen so much from the psychiatric literature of the time. Steal real scientific medicine techniques and claim them for your own and then tell everybody that the original developers of said techniques are full of it so that none of the faithful will look too closely at his sources...

I know which group of people I'd rather have messing with my head, even if I got one too many pills at the beginning.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Anyone remember their "E-Meter?" It was alleged to be this magical device that could read things from deep within your soul. I got into an argument with someone from "S" one time about this magical meter and I told him that I suspected that it was a plain old ohmmeter, and they used it to measure small changes in skin resistance while they took the interviewee through a range of emotionally charged questions. He insisted that it was something far more sophisticated than that.

So I found one at a garage sale once. Opened it up and... yup, it's just an ohmmeter. A rather simple one at that.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't really think he's a great actor. Whenever I see him in a movie, I think "Hey that's Tom Cruise playing such and such" instead of getting lost in the character itself.

Gotta admit, I did like Risky Business a lot though.

[ QUOTE ]
MaxaBaker said:
I personally think he's a great actor, but I also personally think he's just plain stupid sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]