PayPay - Payment Method Question

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Let's say, for example, I had a $500 balance in my PP account. I want to pay someone, however I want to use a CC-funded PP payment, as opposed to the cash balance in my account. Can I do that and if so, how? I haven't been able to find a way to do this.

SolarFlare

Enlightened
Yeah when you get to the payment part it asks what source you would like to use. The confirmation step I think it is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have cash in the account, you CANNOT use a CC funded payment, period, end stop. You can only use CC or Instant transfer to cover funds needed above and beyond the cash balance.

My advice is that you never ever pay with a cash balance . If there is a problem, your only recourse is through PayPal, and PayPal was deliberately created to exist in a regulatory black hole. IT is neither a Bank or a Financial Service Company, so the normal rules don't apply.

Any transaction involving a bank or a credit card has specific mechanisms mandated by Law to deal with fraud etc.
If you send money from a cash balance to someone, and they abscond with it, you are likely to get a lovely message from paypal when the smoke clears. Yes, you got 'screwed', but no, we cannot get your money back!

Been there, done that. Fortunately it wasn't a lot of money, but I learned the important lesson.

The reason PayPal doesn't like you to fund transactions with Credit cards is credit cards are by definition, a transaction that can be reversed. If you dispute the charge, and the credit card company agrees you were defrauded, they do the charge back, and if PayPal doesn't like it (and they sure don't), it is too bad for PayPal.

If it is a transaction that was funded by a balance in a PayPal account, PayPal can tell you to take a flying leap.
As for the buyer protection, read it carefully. Screen doors have fewer holes in them.

drizzle

Enlightened
Wow! Thanks Matthew! I had no idea Paypal was so slippery.

So far I only buy things with Paypal via CC and have resisted giving them access directly to my bank account(s). I was thinking about changing that as I've seen some vendors that tack on a charge for CC funded Paypal transactions, which FWIW I think is completely fair.

Now I won't ever change from what I have now.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before joining CPF I use my credit card with the most reputable mail order companies such as Amazon.
Since joining I have placed 2 orders through paypal credit card.
But most of the smaller companies/individuals on CPF just post:
Paypal: [email protected]
Without opening a paypal account (and I don't really want to), how do I order/pay these people?

-----

A collegue of mine told me of a site called NO PAYPAL
I just googled it and the discription is
paypalsucks.com, aka No PayPal, is an anti paypal site to expose the nightmare of doing business "the paypal way.
One of these days when CPF postings are slow I will go take a look.

drizzle

Enlightened
I do have a paypal account. It's just that it's only tied to my credit card. So I contact the seller and pay with Paypal then Paypal charges my credit card.