Dude that is just Sweet

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wrangler

Enlightened
Looks like a copy of the ORB!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
BTW the ORB can be bought with LuxIII Led and uses 2 cr123a`s.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
i still dont own a 123 :-(
and the ORB is 100$ although its awesome looking.
i need power using the AAs that i got sitting here for everything else.

i aint paying more than 50$ for lights that in 2 years are gonna go for 10$, that would just put regret things into my life /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
well specially when i can have 4 for the same money /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
well its no wonder why they cant sell anything
they have a FLASH web site . . . Duhhh.

http://www.shingfung.com.hk/

anyways here they are, looks like they have nuwai "look alikes" course beings they are Hong Kongs BIGGEST light manufacture and have been in business longer than mag, mabey all the stuff is comming from them through the many hands distribution $$$ systems anyways.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Note the light i posted is (originally) a combo light, incan and led.
(that is why i posted in "general")

but this one, that i have been looking for forever at a reasonable price
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5196187146

is strictally led, dont know if its a REAL 3W, because the original nuwai thing was a 1W, but i like the design, and MODDING it should be easy

Anybody know about this light?
he had it listed as a AAA, but i asked him if that was correct and he changed it to AA.
i would ask him if its a 1W or a 3W , or if its really a luxeon , if i really cared , because its the form factor that i needed.

Hopefully i can mod this with:
Direct drive of a 3 watt
2 position switch type , or using that new flex bad boy.
lithium AAs and or ni-mhys
Mabey a better powered led.
possible optics changes
glow stuff anywhere the light (charging the glow) wouldnt be strictally wasted

does anybody HAVE one of these, and have the shredded it yet?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
VidPro, I just purchased one of these flashlights from the listing you furnished, so I ought to have it within a couple of weeks. I bought it for CPF sakes, of course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow cool, if you test it, and find out the actual output, or manage to tear it to pieces , and can still reassemble it , be sure to PM me with the location of your review.
Because i got it to alter, but if i shouldnt alter it, then thats ok too.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Once I finish up the evaluation to publishability, I'll see if it can be relatively easily disassembled and then reassembled, and post my findings in this thread.
The link to my evaluation will be posted in my thread in the Reviews forum, as usual.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
I Got mine, in today
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5196187146

fired up the cheap 3X AA carbon batteries in it, and after a while it looked about like a 1W, stuck a meter on it, and it said about 500ma.
put ni-mhys off the charger on it, and it overdrived hard, then settle down on About 1000ma rate.
compared it to a stock dorcy AAA and it looked about 3X as bright, so it does seem to be pumping 3W through the THING that is in there.

the body is awesome , and the switch is not going to turn on just from being bumped. it looks rather slick, and has a quickdisconnect laynard, but the connection to the tail for the laynard looks a bit weak.

The reflector seems to lose a bit of light , and the beam was off a bit. the color of the led in it was great.
the beam pattern is somewhat tight, although messy on the one i got.

SO, i just had to crack it open, to find that the heat sinking is barely adequite. and the star is not tied down well, which means i can probably relign it a bit.

Then i looked closer, and i would swear that Luxeons have a LUMILEDS written right on the stars ?

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the true luxeons I have around do indeed have LUMILEDS on them, usually above the + contact.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
""All the true luxeons I have around do indeed have LUMILEDS on them, usually above the + contact.""

mine too, but they could have made thier own Base i guess, to save 30c ????

some (loose) specs.
its going to be hard to find stuff to FIT in this thing.

front plastic lens dia 24.6mm
Lens height 1mm
Reflector height 22.7 (reflector dropped OVER the black pastic on emitter)
Reflector Hole dia 24.1
Switch plastic body space dia 23.25
switch plastic barrel height 19.3mm
Approximate total head Cavity space height 50mm
height of heat sink plate .5mm (no misteak, its a piece of steel looking sheet metal)

Slightly ground edge 4* 26MM carlco optic would fit ohh and what a great beam. ok this is working out so good, i am modifying it in seconds as we speak.

take the top lip ring around the diamater of the carlico 4* optics off with a sander, or something, and it becomes a perfect fit.

by using the calico 4* thing, i could use IT for the lens itself, that would save 8% loss from a secondary lens , the 4* is not very tall either, Calico height 14MM . that leaves 10MM for the copper heat sink.
note 10mm WHEN the optic drops partly over the emitter black plastic.

Heat sink pill thing 10mm high, would be in a threaded area , where the threaded star top Ring holder was.
a copper disk 25mm in dia, would jam into the thread area there quite nicley. that would then conduct heat to the heads base, and carry to the slick body quite nicely.

so i am short 1 or 2 parts.
i will need the copper sink, and a 3 way switch would also be nice, but unnessisary.

HA HA, now they are going to have to move this thread again, to Modified.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok i am almost finished with the mod of the above thing.
i tried to figure out what hunk of copper already comes this way at the hardware store (25mm round).
there was 2 things. brass end caps with threads, for screwing in as an end cap into a valve or coupler.
and Copper end caps for 1/2 inch pipes.

i found the end cap for the 1/2 copper pipe, and pasted an emitter on the top of it, almost had the sucker glued together, when i shorted out the emitter base to the ground , with ni-mhy batteries in it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

i had to test to insure it worked, before the glue dried.

the switch got the worst of it, and that is OK, because the switch that silveron sells will do a 2 level anyways.

so i had to smear all the glue off and start over again.

at any rate i did find a copper disc thing for it, by using a copper pipe end cap, that will conduct heat to the walls, i shortened it by cutting it bascially in half, making it about 10mm long.
So basically there is not a Pill or a full disc, but the WAY the end cap is, the thermal speed, and the length of the side wall connection, it should work 4-5x better than the almost nothing that was in there.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I tried to disassemble mine, and found that only the bezel comes off without tools (it unscrews). There is a thick metal ring above the LED board, but it appears to have been glued into place.

Other than the fact that this flashlight looks a little bit like a urinator, I think it is at least relatively decent.