Recommendation for 1x123A w/longest runtime?

hrbngr

Newly Enlightened
hello,
I am looking for a recommendation for a LED 1x123A light that has good throw and will run on a 123A battery longer than other lights. Basically, I am trying to get the most out of the 123A batteries before letting them go. My SF L4 quits on batteries pretty quickly, my Streamlight Scorpion does so as well. Kevin @ BatteryStation recommended a LED light as they will continue to run on batteries that incandecents scoff at--but I am not clear which light would run the best--would it depend on the assembly?

a possible candidate is the Inova T1 for its' affordability.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this $21.50 1W light has a pretty good run time (3 hours to 50%) based on this review. I've got one (in the form of the Sharper Image 1W luxeon) and it is bright, has good color, a tactical clickie, and very nice workmanship.

matthewdanger

Enlightened
Would the low setting on the Surefire L1 be any good for squeezing the last drop out of batteries?

Lumen

Newly Enlightened
Yes, my L1 on low setting will burn for at least 24 hours straight. Found this out by accident. Left my light on low all day, spent the night at a friend's and came back to see that the light was still burning, and high beam still bright when turned on high!

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
The big question here is what price range you are looking at. Both the HDS and the L1 have fantastic runtimes on their lower settings, and the presence of lower settings definately add to these lights usefulness. However, these generally go for over $100.

If you don't want to make that kind of investment, I'd also look at the Tekna Splashlite LED ($20 at batterystation)- its very small for a single CR123 based light and very lightweight. As the name implies, the Splashlite is waterproof and the lensed LED throws farther than you would expect. Runtime is in the 6-8 hour range for the regular LED version. Interestingly, the regular LED one appears brighter to me than their side emitter luxeon version which, although it has better tint, has only about half the battery life.

Another good option is the Luxeon I version of the QIII- the QI. These can be had for around $25 and the slightly underdriven luxeon will give you around 3 hours of light.

You can't go wrong with the Inova T1- its a very good light. Just note that as the Lux I is pushed a bit hard, I wouldn't consider the runtime to be all that great on this one- 1 to 1.5 hrs max.

hrbngr

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the recommendations so far! So, it looks like lights w/multiple settings are very friendly to batteries, but are there any other underdriven production lights available? I already have a QIII and I would be very interested in a Q1--how is the throw on the Q1 btw?

I found the page for the Tektite light here:
http://www.batterystation.com/splashlite.htm
Does this have a clickable switch?

Finally, this light is for my grandfather who just turned 88!!! so I wont be getting any lights w/multiple settings for now--unless that is by far the best option. Under $100 is definitely preferred.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, the Splashlite uses a good old fashioned head rotation to turn on and off. While I understand this could be a concern with severely arthritic hands, note that its plastic compostion makes the operation much smoother and easier than most aluminum lights. If it's screwed to "almost on" a press on the edge of the bezel will work for momentary.

Since the QI is housed in exactly the same body as the QIII, the beam pattern is the same, but because the light isn't as bright, you won't be able to see quite as far.

Another one I just thought of is the advancedmart chromed brass CR123 light ($20). It's got a pushbutton switch on its rear but it's not recessed like the QIII/QI so it may be easier to press. Runtime should be similar to the Splashlite. I have the AA version, and while I like it, there has been an issue with the light flickering. As I don't have the CR123 version, you may want to check with someone who does to see if the problem is present in that version.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wrangler hit the nose on the head. In fact, get a QI and the switch, use the switch in both your QI and your QIII, and tell us which arrangement you prefer, and why!

It would be great if someone came out with a 2-level switch for Nuwai's ALX-2611X.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Peak sold 1xCR123 lights with 5mm LEDs some time ago ... you can try catching one with a 1x5mm configuration for the real runtmie overkill.

On the other lights ... there are lots of possibilities with the switching method being the most deciding factor. I'd first choose between uC-switching (single button with multi-click action) and manual switching (easy activation but no fancy functions) ... and then choose a light.

Prototype of a uC light would be the HDS EDC Series or the old Arc4, and for the manual switching it's the SF L1 or McGizmo's McLuxIII-PD (42 hours on low).
Cost, of course, is another factor to consider ...

Also ... there's the Li-Ion possibility which would open yet another possible path to follow ...

So ... there are plenty of options, now you have just to ask the right questions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bernie

weaponlight

Newly Enlightened
The new Surefire L1 has excellent throw on high, but the spot is small and square on low. The older L1's have a beautiful spot on high (about 10 yards) and low. The L1 on low seems to last forever on a 123. I have used an older L1 on low for short periods evrey night for two months + here in Iraq, both clipped to my helmet, and by my bunk. Still using the original battery. Surefire says 50 hours of constant runtime. I just got the new L1 a few weeks ago, and like it too - but it is a very different light from the old one.

Galiphrey

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Kiessling said:
Peak sold 1xCR123 lights with 5mm LEDs some time ago ... you can try catching one with a 1x5mm configuration for the real runtmie overkill.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually they still sell them today: Peak McKinley Collection

Here is Peak's runtime plot for the 1x5mm McKinley. That is a long-running light! (It might be available from their "custom design center.")

matthewdanger

Enlightened
That Peak would make a great camping light with runtime like that. But I would have a hard time spending $50+ on a light with a single 5mm LED.