Is $120 Gateway to "Superlights"?

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is $120 Gateway to \"Superlights\"?

Does the HDS EDC B42 seem like the least expensive "Superlight"? The "super" term may not mean the same to everyone, especially if maximum brightness is a necessary feature. Multiple levels, build quality, switch, small size, and usefullness equal a "super" rating for my descriptive purposes.

Are there any great (or super) lights that comes close, in price, to the HDS lineup? I don't have the time to be everywhere on the CPF and I'd hate to be missing out on other "affordable", really good, lights.

What is YOUR "gateway" light to the realm of THE BEST?

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Is $120 Gateway to \"Superlights\"?

i guess i would have to agree with you. i thought about it and for your descriptive purposes (similar to mine) it seems that the hds edc 42 is the way to go. i also would consider the firefly for the same price range and features.
i have an arc4rev1 which is great and has had no problems but i actually wanted something smaller so i got myself a firefly. a plus of the firefly is that it can always be updated with newer brighter luxeon sandwiches.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's a great question. It may vary from person to person as to what constitutes a "superlight". Of course there are those cheap imports that have the brightness and features of some of the currently accepted "superlights", but their quality is often suspect.
It's been my opinion that the $100 mark is a nice divider between the "superlights" and the rest. For $100 you had better get a truly super light, I've always thought. Not that some cheaper lights can't be "superlights", of course.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast

No the real SuperLight cost twice that and was very limited edition. Not something made by the millions cheap and bright like a $29 Thor. Super Lights are somewhat exotic like a Porsche.

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast

IMHO superlights have to be exceptional in one way or another. They don't have to be small - eg. the beast. But they have to be bright and innovative. eg. USL.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Superlight category is wide ranging and includes large, very bright, lights as well as tiny custom jobs. My definition was only one of many.

I'm curious what least expensive, top notch, very well built lights, exist.