How long since you had a battery blow up?

drizzle

Enlightened
I just discovered a battery in my "good batteries" drawer that had burst and was covered with the usual powder. You all know what I mean, you've all been there. It suprised me since I now pay more attention to batteries than I used to. The last time I remember seeing this was about a year ago in an old headlight I hadn't used in years. At least this time I only have to clean up the drawer of batteries not any device it could have been in.

So when was the last time you discovered a burst battery? How bad was it to deal with?

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found my last bursted battery in my microwave, I'm pretty sure it was user error. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found one in an old battery powered toy that had been in the closet for about 4 years. This was i think about 8 months ago

Shane

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only battery I have had ever blow up was one my brother put in a fire. It wasnt as loud or exciting as a can of butane he burned, but it was second best.

The rest just seem to go dead and or go dead and leak a fluid that dries to a white powder.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I have had a lot of them leak, but no evidence of ever having one "blow up". I hate it when the batteries leak. It's time to change them all again.

This thread reminds me of a phone call I got from my wife a few yaers ago. My reaction got me in trouble...

Her: You have to come home. The water heater blew up!

Me: (envisioning flames and general destruction) You're kidding!

Her: (coldly) no. I. AM. NOT!

Me: (stupidly) Blew up? Really?

Her: (Icily) Yes. There's water on the floor. The boxes are wet.

Me: (comprehension) Oh! It burst. (small laugh of relief)

Her: (frigidly) That's what I said. It blew up.

Me: I was afraid it really blew up!

She still has not forgiven me for that laugh, and it's time to replace the heater again.

Back On Topic;

I had one Cr123 cell split in a Dorcy Spider stored in the car. No leakage, no other damage. It still lit up. That was two years ago.

Daniel

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I knew a lady who had a bar with a mini hot water heater in it. She said it looked like a bomb went off. The over pressure valve failed and it just built up too much steam and bang. That was the middle of the store, but she said the whole place was a mess.

Never had one myself go off, usually the copper pipes that link it to the house spring a small leak that only I can hear.

drizzle

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
gadget_lover said:
I have had a lot of them leak, but no evidence of ever having one "blow up". I hate it when the batteries leak. It's time to change them all again.

<snip>

Daniel

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, I shoulda said "leak" as that's what really happened.

and now I'm worried about my water heater (or is it hot water heater, oops different thread /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleye11.gif ). I haven't changed it since I moved in 7 years ago; and it wasn't new then.

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a car battery blow up once. It blew the hood of the car up too. Couldn't see where I was going..lol.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a NiMH C cell take the roof off part of the house when it exploded, and the subsequent fire burned the rest of the place down...

No, just kidding. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The reality is that a few months ago, one of my NiMHs being charged started to fizzle and emit some kind of light blue substance around the top vent and I immediately stopped charging. The fizzling died down half a minute later, I tested the cell and found it was registering 150 millivolts, so I threw it away. The total opposite of the first paragraph - a complete non-event /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mednanu

Enlightened
Years and years ago - the last time I tried to recharge a non-rechargable button cell watch battery. Those things go off like an M60 - nice an loud !

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I had a cheap camera in my pantry that had a pair of duracells in it. One of them sprung a leak but I caught it a little early 2 weeks ago. I tried to clean up the liquid from the battery but the contacts in the camera still oxidized. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Well just on July 4th, I made a little fire in a soup can with paper towels soaked in WD-40 and I tossed a few objects in. One thing I tried was a CR-2016 battery from my Inova Microlight that was dead. It poped and a peice of the battery flew out of the can and went about 5' into the air.

Of course, after the the battery, I threw in a 12 gram co2 cartridge. The neighbors thought that was an M-100 firecracker (LOUD!)

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Opps, you forgot to warn the young folks; Always gotta warn the young folk.

Putting things in fire to watch them explode is neat and exciting but dangerous. Very dangerous. The expolding CO2 cartrige could send pieces of metal in all directions, sort of like a buch of random bullets. Even if they are not deadly, they can leave permanent injuries and scars. In a land mine or grenaade it would be called "shrapnel".

Batteries also contain chemicals that are poisonous. They are not dangerous when used as batteries, but when used as explosives you can end up breathing real nasty stuff that will damage your health for a long time. Exploding batteries can send "shrapnel" coated with ugly chemicals in unplanned directions.

So all I'm saying is to be careful and don't burn things that say "keep away form flame" or "don't incinerate".

Daniel

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I already knew what would happen if I burned stuff like that.

The Co2 Cartridge took one minuite to explode and I knew it will throw out shards of metal so I had it in the far corner of my yard. The delay gave me time to go back inside the house and sit down at the computer then get up and look out the window to see if it had gone off yet. Right when I looked out the window, it went off. I also had my camera running nearby as well and got it on video.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing like drinking beer and watching stuff blow up during July 4.

Latest posts