those rare BRIGHTER THAN NORMAL luxeons

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi there, every now and then i hear about a luxeon with superior brightness, and those few luxeons from a batch of hundreds that are superior in brightness. kinda like the ones that went into the arc4x. since i'm pretty sure i won't get my hands on one since i usually buy second hand lights, i would love to here about others that have one in their lights and how it compares to an average luxeon. does it have a wow factor when compared to your average luxeons? i remember CM telling me about one he had that was way brighter than the others and had a green tint, i think he had it in a kl1 mod. i would appreciate it if others would share.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
unfortunately I don't have one either (guess you're not talking of an X-bin LuxV?) ... but I am just as curious as you are /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernie

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Day... I think you are talking about the higher flux Luxeons like W or X bins for LuxeonV and U bin for LuxIIIs

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
The inspiring Luxeons are out there and they are rare. Like Kessling alluded to...are you talking about Lux III or V emitters?

I don't have any inspiring Lux V...they are normal, bright, emitters.

In the Lux III category I do have rare emitters. I have a couple of UX1J that are white and bright. And I have a very overachieving TX1H emitter that is just a hair less bright than my UX1J emitters are.

ultraemitters2qo.jpg

To find out which light has which beam and a lux reading at one meter you'll have to click on the smaller picture below.

I do have a LongBow Mini with a Booster Head, Downboy 1000 and a white UX1J but I've never been impressed with the beam that comes out of the optic. Oh, it is good but the reflectors are better.

I also have a KI light with a slightly boosted by 50mA converter and a UX1J. It outclasses the standard KI light by over 45% brightness. The light is cute and great in the pocket power department. I didn't include a beam shot of that one. If you do a cpf search for the name The Last Samurai you'll find the KI-plus light.

I'll soon have a matched black and natural anodize set of #21 KI-T lights with a super-super converter with white beam UX1J emitters. They should knock the KI-UX1J off the #1 pocket rocket list.

Edit: Oops...the center beam has a reading of 3360 lux at one meter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
My UWOK Aleph 3 and Superlight III UX1H are like those above. The "U" in the bin code tells you what they are made of ="Unobtanium"

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifyes i was refering to the luxIII and specifically the overachieving luxIIIs.
i remember the superlight also having the overachieving t-bins that performed like u-bins.
TrueBlue and NikolaTesla, you have some pretty impressive stuff there.
so do those u-bins really outdo any of your average t-bins or is it just a slight difference by the naked eye.
...is such a thing as an x-bin luxIII?

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uhhhh...yes. The beams in the U and overachieving T are visibly noticeable in brightness but are not a noticeably strange tint.

But it depends on what you put around the "brights." In my KI light the reflector is small. Compared to a standard KI emitter the UX1J is very noticably brighter. But if the KI-UX1J is held next to a light, like an Aleph3, a light with a big reflector and using a normal TW0J then you'd swear the TWOJ was brighter. The UX1J is putting out more light but a bigger reflector light is concentrating more light.

But comparing a 'apple to apple' light side by side the U or overachieving T bin light will be noticably brighter. You'd never mistake the brighter of the two lights.

This is snipped from THE LAST SAMURAI thread.

The stock #107 light with the ARCMania SCIII converter and a TW0H emitter with a rechargeable CR2 cell put out a respectable 930 lux at one meter. The light with reflector has an intense hot spot with a decent spill light. With the new converter and UX1J emitter The Last Samurai lux reading jumped to 1350 lux. That is a very noticeable increase of light. 45 percent more light for 50mA more current and a UX1J emitter. The Last Samurai is brighter and the beam is a nice frosty white.

ki_5.jpg

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Here's a shot of a stock SF L4 (unknown bin) driven at approx. 660mA
rl_led_06_l4.jpg

... vs. an X3T at 750mA in a 27mm reflector (more focussed beam).
rl_led_11_pr_x3t_750.jpg

Sorry, I do not have an exact match of another LuxV at 750mA in a 27mm reflector. But you get the idea ...

bernie

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Paul, they are still binned and we have yet to discover those new super-bins.
However ... the R-bin LuxI was and is still one of my favourites for low-current applications as it seems to be available more readily than the U-bin and is plenty bright and efficient. I haven't yet heard of an S-bin LuxI though ... drool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif
bernie

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot about the R-bins. I have two of those and, again, like Kiessling said, they are bright, efficient and a white output too. They are great for low mA use.

The emitter are still rare since we haven't found better...yet. Like...try to find a UX1J. You won't find them at the corner store, you don't see them at LumiLED and you don't see them for sale at B/S/T.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gotta love those "brighter than normal" Luxeons!
All my Luxeon driven lights are special ones, two minimags with R bins, a MicroIlluminator (single AAA light) with an R bin, 2D Mag overdriven R bin and a nFlex 8AA "2D Mag" throwing out W bin love.
Keep sniffing around the CPF as TrueBlue said, on occasion they show up so get your modding skills ready (or pay a modder to build it for you)
The folks have recently learned not to look at the LED when it turns on.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got some RY0Js from the Sandwich Shoppe and refitted a low-dome second gen KL1-SG with those.. the difference is just unbelievable. Even with the stock NX05 optic in place (left the head open so I could change at will), it is totally awesome. Amongst the whitest beams I have ever seen - and I have seen quite a few!

Wayne did well getting his hands on these, and the $17 purchase price is WELL justified.

I wanted a Lux1 for this application because, remember, the tint bin is only characterized at a specified drive current - in this case 350mA for a Lux1, which is exactly what I would be using. I didn't tweak the KL1's drive current because I value the long 2hr+ burntime of the KL1 on low Vf emitters. If I wanted wicked crazy bright I have other lights to do the job.