Do you say 'water heater' or 'hot water heater'?

How many do you own?

• Water heater

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hot water heater

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Do you say \'water heater\' or \'hot water heater\'?

Independence Day is over, most of the Black Cats, Whistling Moon Travellers, and Bumblebees have been lit, so I thought I'd ask the question: do you call it a ''water heater'' or do you call it a ''hot water heater''?
I've heard it called both, even by anchors on respected news programs.

LaserFreak

Enlightened
Re: Do you say \'water heater\' or \'hot water heater\'?

I think "hot water heater" would be an oxymoron, since hot water is already heated.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast

perhaps because it's purpose is to maintain hot water by continuously heating it really is a hot water heater, or a warm water heater at the least.
It would be a water heater the first few minutes of operation, then the water would be hot, therefore "hot water heater.
I think I call it both.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

LaserFreak

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Pydpiper said:
perhaps because it's purpose is to maintain hot water by continuously heating it really is a hot water heater, or a warm water heater at the least.
It would be a water heater the first few minutes of operation, then the water would be hot, therefore "hot water heater.
I think I call it both.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm...interesting point...now I'm totally confused, thanks alot man!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast

well then its a "Cold Water Heater" and if i call it that, then NOBODY will know what i am talking about.
so better to be a oxymoran, than a real one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

i vote both. communication isnt based on accuracy, its based on a transferance of thought recognized by the transferee. so untill some brainiac starts confusing us with all the facts, its whatever its been called for 100 years, and whatever they will call it 100 years from now.
the nuclear rod cooling tank, or something. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

next I'd like to discuss if you turn the heat up and the AC down. My wife and I are always arguing about that. I turn the AC down meaning that I turned it up to run more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Where she turns the AC up meaning turn the temperature down, but it runs more, thus up.... or something....

Oh, and I call it just a "water heater" cause that is what it does. It doesn't heat warm water, it re-heats less hot water while it's sitting there and heats cold water as you're taking a shower. It just does it too slowly...

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Do you say \'water heater\' or \'hot water heater

HWH is redundant ie. "at this point in time". It's either: "at this point", or "at this time". "irregardlessly" should be, simply, regardless. "In no way, shape, or form" is another obnoxious cliche. And furthermore.........................

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

I say "hot water heater". Okay, maybe it doesn't make sense, but neither does the phrase "I could care less", which, it turns out, actually means "I couldn't care less".

What about lights ... do you say "shut the light" or "turn off the light"? I say "shut the light".

idleprocess

Flashaholic

Economy of language: "water heater" - but I don't claim to be 100% consistent.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

i call it mr love puddles