Votes: 0 0.0%
  • L4

• U2

• Total voters

JMagic

Newly Enlightened
I am new to the forums, and have been reading lots, and want to make my first surefire purchase, but which one?

L2 - Can be very bright, and has a high and low beam. Cannot take rechargeables, and long (~$135)

L4 - Not as bright, can have two beams (McGizmo E2s ~$50), shorter, can take rechargeables (~$130 + $50)

U2 - very adjustable, somewhere between the L4 and L2 in brightness, long, not sure about rechargeables (~$220)

my thinking is this, i wish the l2 was shorter, but once i get the l4 and switch, it becomes close to the u2 price. i wont consider the l4 without the switch, so i cant decide!

clays

Newly Enlightened
I'd definitely go for the L4. Actually, I did!! The versatility is nice in that you can put the different heads on the L4 body, or mix and match with with the custom pieces such as the two stage switches. It also runs great on rechargeables so you won't mind using that super bright beam a LOT.

JMagic

Newly Enlightened
what rechargeables are everyone running on the L4? i have read about the pilas, is this the only one that works? (or the best one if not?)

where can you order these?

clays

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure if the Pila's are the only ones, but I think they're the best ones. You will get nearly the runtime of disposable batteries at full brightness when running the Pila's, without the guilt and expense of disposables, which will pay off if you use the light regularly. I did not end up buying the Pila's or any add-ons for my L4 as I soon discovered other lights that ended up being better for my original purpose (backpacking, multi night trips) than the L4, hence my L4 is on the B/S/T board right now for a great deal as the L4 almost never left its box except to test in the yard. If the L4 had been "the light" for my intended purpose, I definitely would have purchased the Pila's. I just have too many lights so while I feel bad selling the L4, I know most likely I'll have one again in the future for some other "justifying purchase". If you get a pre-owned but still perfect L4, then you could use the saved money towards the Pila's or else a lot of disposable Surefire batteries or a dual stage switch. You can get the Pila's from JS Burly's or (I believe) bugoutgear usa.

Bradlee

Enlightened
The Surefire U2 actually can take rechargable lithium-ion batteries. It will in fact run on bare (18650 size) cells, which are much cheaper than Pila cells since they are not protected against under and over discharge. Almost any li-ion charger you use will ensure they are not over-charged and, in this case, the U2 itself will cut off before the minimum discharge voltage of the cells.

I found jtice's review very helpful when deciding on the U2:
U2 review

The only place where he reported a difference when using an 18650 as opposed to 2 CR123A's was on level 6, when the output was 1496 as opposed to 1777 lux.

Hope this helps,
-Brad

Edit: BTW, welcome to CPF! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi JMagic-

Welcome to CPF from another newbie but long time lurker who has had the flashlight jones for a long time.

I have two of your possible choices-L4 & U2. The L4 came first and I chose it instead of the L2 based on its smaller size and great flexibility. There are dozens of optional pieces and parts-you can make an incan if you are so inclined. I only have the McGizmo two stage tailcap which is beautifully made and makes a great light better.
The L4 is a good front pocket fit for EDC.

The U2 is amazing, both brighter and dimmer than the L4. It is IMO, one of the best combinations of throw and flood that there is. I carry mine in a Ripoffs holster as I find it too big for comfortable pocket EDC.

You did not say if you have a specific need or purpose for your first SF. That might influence my vote or your choice.

You should know that on CPF the correct choice is never either/or, but both or all.

That said I vote L4 for your first. You can always add the U2 next month. I would not part with either.

Mark

Dadof6

Enlightened
Could somebody please tell me why you can't use rechargeables with the L2. I have one and use rechargeables. What am I doing to my light?

The-David

Flashaholic, Formerly KE7AYF
I am kind of suprised that no one else has stated this yet but there is a saying around here...

Bye them both!

I have a L4 that I love.

I have a L4 that I love.

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Bradlee said:
Can anyone post (or direct me to) a direct size comparison picture between the L4 and U2?

Thanks,
-Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

Go to www.surefire.com - click on LED Lights at top of page.
Then click on Comparion Chart.

This flashlight stuff is intoxicating ..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy23.gif

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
JMagic,

Over the 4th of July weekend I got to play with my new Surefire /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif U2.
The U2 is an outstanding tool while playing in the dark ! The very bright
and very useful combination beam has great throw and good spill. The
multiple level beam is easy to use and very task friendly. I can easily
identify objects out to 150 feet with the high beam. The low beam is
more that enough to navigate and ID stuff inside a dark building and
doesn't destroy your night vision. With six brightness levels, it is indeed
very task friendly. The size, weight, and balance make it very comfortable
to use. A great tail cap clicky switch and momentary on / off. A Great clip
for carrying without a holster. It also runs very well on the Pila 168s
Li-ion rechargeable battery. I noticed that the lens is slightly convex,
this must help with the smooth transition from the tight hot spot out to
the corona. A very well balanced beam.

A fantastic, well designed, rugged peace of equipment ! ..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

The U2 will become my over all general use light of choice for
that walk in the woods, or on the beach after dark and any other
time while playing in the dark. A GREAT LIGHT !!!

Go for the U2 and get it all !

This flashlight stuff is definitely intoxicating ....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy23.gif

Bradlee

Enlightened
Thanks for the direction, pwdrkeg, and for the little review. (I am waiting for my U2 to arrive, and am glad to read such positive things about it).

-Brad

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
JMagic said:
what rechargeables are everyone running on the L4? i have read about the pilas, is this the only one that works? (or the best one if not?)

where can you order these?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Pila batteries are the best because they have a circuit that protects the battery. The battery would be dammaged by over charging or discharging the battery to low. The Pila battery & charger prevent this from happening.

Pila batteries can be topped off without dammage. This allows you to keep your Pila battery fully charged.

J.S. Burly is the place to get your Pila's. The Pila 168S is the one you want for the L4. The Pila 168A is the one you want for the U2. The 168S will fit and work in the U2, but the 168A has more capacity.

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're going to carry it on your person a lot, then get the L4 and the 2 way switch. It'll fit in your back pocket without a problem and won't be noticed. If it's going to be a utility light around the house, car, shop, campsite, backpack etc. then I'd vote for the U2.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Welcome to CPF, JMagic, and why dontcha stay awhile!

Howzabout an E2e and a KL4, for both incan and LED. Then McGizmo's tailcap and an E1e body, as has been suggested. You'd be buiding a flexible, interchangeable set of lighting tools.

Or you could just get the L4.

welcome again,
daloosh

JMagic

Newly Enlightened
i ordered a U2, and i ordered the rechargeable 18650 and charger. the free lumens is what sold me, and the 18650's being so much cheaper than the pilas also helped sway me.

If i got the L4 it woulda been 125 + 50(switch) + 100 (2 pilas and charger)
-which is 275

the U2 was 215 + 60 (4 batteries and charger)
-which is also 275, and now i get more batteries (and they are cheaper if i need more later), and 6 levels of light!!!

i do have a problem though, i bid on a L2 before i posted on here because that's the light i thought i wanted, and i won it!.....(oops), it's no big deal though, i'll just have to sell it again, and maybe take a little loss. anyone interested in a brand new L2? (PM me)

thanks for the help everyone, i'm already trying to think of what light to get next, either an L4, or an L1, or a Q3, or an EDC or......i'll just wait til i get my U2, and decide later