Can a Tigerlight mess with P91? Need help...

HEK_Hamburg

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I asked this question in a Pila post before.
I need a new light for service.

I like the fact that I dont have to buy batteries for the Tiger Light. And I cant use my Pilas for my SF Z3 anymore. They are too old.

My Problem is that I dont want less light than I can get from my P91!

Can anybody tell me if the hotspot of a Tiger Light is as bright as the hotspot of a P91?
Is the hotspot as big as the one of a P91?
Does it have at least the same throw?
Does it have at least the same sidespill?
Are there any holes in the beam?

May anybody has a beam pic for me?

I hope you can help me...

Thank you, Metin

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Metin:

WIth a 2.5+ inch reflector, and running 7.2 volts on high current cells, the tigerlight eats the P91 for breakfast pancake.

THe throw is not remotely comparable. The hot spot....well, the P91 has bigger(read: more dispersed) hotspot that is useless beyond 40 yards or so with any time of light from other sources, where as the tigerlight casts a long beam that can be used for 100+ yards.

Hoep that helps.

Nick

HEK_Hamburg

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your answer!

Can you tell me if there are rings or holes in the beam?
Has it a good sidespill? I need lot of sidespill. Its important when whe stop cars at night... I want to see everything in the car. Thats why I love the P91...

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Tigerlight will definitely light up the whole car. There are some rings in the Tigerlight beam, but no real dark spots. A turbohead with a flip up beamshaper on a rechargable surefire would work well for this purpose too, but it'll cost a lot more.

Reptilezs

Enlightened
the mag charger has more throw than a tigerlight but the tigerlight puts out more light than the mag charger

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
HEK and Pipesmoker,

Here is a great thread on the Tiger11 and Mag60, the most common mods to each:

The outputs are higher than the stock, but the comparisons are essentially the same if you throw out the higher outputs. The stock MC does slightly outthrow the stock Tiger, though it does the Tiger11 and MC60 are closer.
tiger11vsmag60

Bill

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a Tiger74 with a OP Carley reflector and you will be VERY happy in your job.

js makes the mod

makar

Enlightened
Hi Metin,
I'm the TigerLight dealer in Germany. You can contact me through my website www.yllux.com
Feel free to call me (Impressum).
The Tigerlight will eat the P91, I second this. The TigerLight is more in the Surefire M6 category.
You can read more about the Tigerlight written in german in the
Messerforum.
Marc

Size15's

Flashaholic
The TigerLight is about the same size as the M6 but it's beam doesn't have as high output as the M6's MN20 Lamp.

The TigerLight's beam is different from SureFire's beams in that it's focused to an intense tight beam (which can be very good).

I don't know how much Marc will charge you for one - I paid about £100 for mine a couple of years ago and it is well worth £100.

I guess the most similar SureFire beam to the TigerLight is the old 9NT or the 12PM with 3" TurboHead and MN60 lamp.

Al

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK,

I didn't say it previously because I didn't want TO MUCH yelling about "Where is it". But I'm about to finish a Tigerlight vs. MagCharger vs. M6 review.

I was hoping to also do a mini-review of the Tiger11 vs MC60 vs M6-R at the same time, which is why I've held it up. Jim now tells me the M6-R pack should be here soon, so I'll post the review of the Stock lights in the next 24-48 hours or so and then add the non-stock at the arrival of the pack.

Bill

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a stock Tigerlight with the latest lamp/reflector assembly. This light has served me VERY well while I was in college working as a night time security patrol. My Tigerlight has the usage marks to prove it, dropped dozens of times, banged up against stairway railways and such.

The Tigerlight outthrows my Surefire M6 with HOLA (no LOLA yet, but when you got HOLa why LOLA right??) BUT the hotspot is only 1/4 of the size and the side spill is a little less. The beam on the M6 is much prettier too.

The Tigerlight's beam is a batwing type beam (at least mine is) with fiarly bright sidespill, but the beam is focused into a rather tight beam so it can be very blinding and throw quite a far distance.

I'll try to get a picture up tonight, the only two lights that I have that are in the same category is my Mag 2C running of 3X CR123's (dimmer) and the Sf M6 with HOLA (brighter.)

Were you looking at the FBOP model without pepper spray or the one with the pepper spray?

I paid $125 for mine I think, and I think it well worth it.

makar

Enlightened
I second what Jason wrote. I have a similar comparison-result in mind. I'm looking forward to the beamshots /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif
Marc

HEK_Hamburg

Newly Enlightened
Jason,

a picture would be a big help.
Im still not sure becuz the rings in the light.

I would not be allowed to use the light with pepper spray during service. Im only allowed to use the OC of my department.

Man I feel so stupid... i just cant decide. argh!

HEK_Hamburg

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
bwaites said:
OK,

I didn't say it previously because I didn't want TO MUCH yelling about "Where is it". But I'm about to finish a Tigerlight vs. MagCharger vs. M6 review.

I was hoping to also do a mini-review of the Tiger11 vs MC60 vs M6-R at the same time, which is why I've held it up. Jim now tells me the M6-R pack should be here soon, so I'll post the review of the Stock lights in the next 24-48 hours or so and then add the non-stock at the arrival of the pack.

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it hard to get this M6-R?
Is it that "legendary" digital regulated one?
Its very rare, right?

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hek_H: Just get Jim's Carley OP reflector with WA01274 bulb and your done. Great beam, lots of light and relatively cheap. Maybe around $40 without a battery upgrade. Need to PM js to see if he has any extra reflectors and bulbs laying around.

Here's a link that you've probably seen of a review I did with a lot of pics. It's the Tigerlight Vs the Tiger11. The Tiger74 is in between these two. Review Link

Here's another link you've pro'ly seen, with a lot more technical detail Tigerlight Custom upgrade thread

Enjoy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
(You'll have to bear with the pictures, only to be used as a estimated guide. My camera skills aren't that good, neither is my camera, I tried to capture the pictures as they looked in person, the beams may look good, but the Tigerlight has some minor ring's/darkjer spots in the hotspot, but for the camera its so bright it is taken in as a fairly filled in hot spot circle. The Mag 2c and M6 have nice beams due to orange peel reflectors, so no major issues with dark spots and rings.)

My camera isn't all that good, either is my skill. So here goes. Its a Konica Minolta DiMage X20. The setting for the Tigerlight, Mag 2C, and blank wall settings are no flash and -.03 exposure. The Surefire M6 had to be shot at regular exposure because it was so bright the camera didn't have to compensate for it.

Here is my test; wall at a distance of 19.5 feet. Flashlight set on de-humidfier with camera in directly to the left of the flashlight for left column shots. 2.5 feet up off the ground.

The right colum of picture was when the camera was moved back another 12 feet and set atop a home gym at a height of 4 feet.

(The measurements or approx. didn't break out a tape measure because I don't have one and I eyeballed it with the help of 12 inch floor tiles.)

The lights

Mag lite 2C - runs on 3 X CR123's, with a Perfect Mag Reflector made by Otoykoyama (sp?) with slight Orange peel, Magnum Star 6 cell bulb (rated at 9 volts, ran out of KPR112's rated at 7.2), Flashlightlens UCL lens.

Tigerlight - SI UCL from Flashlightlens

Surefire M6 - stock.

(All light's batteries have less than 10 minutes of usage so it should be fine, BUT they haven't been touched in 3 weeks, should fine fine even with the NiMh discharge rate in the Tigerlight.)

151526040_l.jpg

The first row is the Tigerlight, the second is Mag 2C, and the last row is the Surefire M6.

151517660_l.jpg

Hope this helps a little,
Jason

EDIT: You can also see the amount of sidespill coming out of the flashlight by looking down the second column of pictures and seeing that object (cardboard box) being reflected more on the left side of the photo.)