AA luxeon III

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
I was wondering if there are any 2AA luxeon III lights? I dont want to spend too much money. I was thinking of getting a QIII with the 2AA mod. are there any other options around at that same price level? i kinda like the gerber 3 watt, except that it takes 3 AA, i think it would be a bit too long. regulated would be nice, which I think the QIII is?

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is Lux III essential? The Streamlight Jr. Lux is only Lux I, but has the same output numbers as the Elektrolumens XM3 according to flashlightreviews.com. and it's only $29.00.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
and LONG they are :)
here is another cheepie
http://www.eliteled.com/products/flashlights/1wfl3aa.html

wow talk about fast shipppin.
i can tell you HOW to THINK of how long this thing is.
its 1HAND (old measurment used for horses) long. strech your hand out and from thumb to pinkey its that long. mabey as long as a 2c longer than a 2$ 2D.
with a end switch with momentary.

anyways i hope to mess it all up in 2 seconds :) with a LuxIII DD mod.

Krit

Enlightened
I think 1 watt and 3 watt with AA body might make no difference light output. Real 3 watt output make a lot of heat generate from the emitter to the body. I use 1 watt with 400 mA current is OK for general work and make long run time.

The_virus

Enlightened
Electrolumens XM-3, I don't own one but apparently the LuxIII doesn't run quite as bright as LuxIII's are capable of, but it's economical with the AA cells.

I thought Longbows could be outfitted with Lux III's from their site, maybe I'm mistaken there though. A Longbow Eco would be way more expensive though, and that would just be for the stock light, which you'd then have to upgrade to the Lux III! It's regulated though.

There aren't that many 2AA LuxIII lights, many use 3AAs, regulated ones are even rarer. A Q3 mod might be your best bet.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Q III with 2AA extender.

dsc007364gp.jpg

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
ya to put or use a 3W then run it with the same curcuit, or drive it the same way has no value, might as well stick with the 1W.
but 3 batteries means a simple way to DIRECT run the thing, and that makes it a good BASE, for tossing out the curcuit, and sending the power STRAIGHT in :) nuk nuk nuk

edison

Enlightened
Just rambling here.......2xAA lights generally use a stacked cell (series) configuration to reduce manufacturing costs and they therefore stretch beyond the limit of dimensions that I deem suitable for a light only capable of producing an "at or near spec" current with an exotic and expensive boost circuit. AA cells are an inch and a half long. Great Ah capacity, unergonomic dimensions. UK makes a really nice side by side 2xAA and 2xAAA light; but the 2xAA model is only available with an incandescent bulb right now.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drunk.gif

Outside of the category dominated by sub-size exotic li-ion cells; there simply isn't anything commonplace and affordable in bulk that doesn't require specialized charging equipment. Face up. AA cells outside of the "go to Wal-Mart" and buy a big pack of duracells are the only way to power a high amperage drawing LED with AA diameter cell(s). At this point in time it takes Amps to make photons; be it an incandescent or a diode source.

To satisfy your stated requirements; I recommend one of the more exotic sandwiches for the 2AA minimag. Get one that is designed to burn NiMh Amps. They help the current flow.

Pricey at first, but virtually free thereafter if you invest in a solid charger.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny you should ask, offroadcmpr. Just today, these forums began displaying ads for an Asian dealer, Etendue. They sell a 2AA Luxeon III flashlight; click on "NL 3 Watt Luxeon Fla..." and you'll reach the English page, model number VTNL-3H2A.

Looks like the XM-3 but, I think, a bit shorter.

wojtek_pl

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Paul_in_Maryland said:
Funny you should ask, offroadcmpr. Just today, these forums began displaying ads for an Asian dealer, Etendue. They sell a 2AA Luxeon III flashlight; click on "NL 3 Watt Luxeon Fla..." and you'll reach the English page, model number VTNL-3H2A.

Looks like the XM-3 but, I think, a bit shorter.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, you're right. This looks exactly as XM-3 ! Schocking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

AuroraLite

Enlightened
offroadcmpr,

There already plenty of good suggestions for AAs lights, and I am a Minimagaholic, so I naturally would be inclined to recommend 'sandwich' in use with a Minimag(which is a 'drop in' usually comes in 'ready-to-run' or DIY package. Personally, just to mention a few, MM lite Lux I RY0J sandwich, or BBNG 500 TxxJ sandwich, Lambda MP III sandwich or the new POP2 sandwich(which has to be used with Li-ion) are all really good choices.

And for more details these 'drop-in' or 'sandwich', please kindly visit my post-- Dummy Reference Guide to Minimag Modding

Good luck with your search! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DaMeatMan

Newly Enlightened
I love the Blaster Jr. and like paul say's it's very short because of it's 1D form factor. It runs on 3 AA's and will give you about 3 hours of full output runtime. Just as bright as the 3D Blaster but in a much smaller package. You gotta love that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

lamperich

Enlightened
Unfortunatley it seems there is now Company(Philips Zetex orMaxim) that offers a Regulation that boost only round about 2,1V to 2,7V U(in) to attention please

--- 700mA I(out=@LED) at round about 3,8Volt U(out)---
a XXXJ Bin is not usual it´s rare. And don´t forget that Every LED is unqiue.

My Xm-3 Clone is in my Eyes very inefficient but it really will work good with Alkalies too. Such a U(in)= ca.2,4V Flashlight with real Lux3 Output will NOT work with Alkalies for a long time! You need at least 2 good AA NiMH´s or better C or D Size NiMH´s. Of course you don´t have to store the Rechargables to long.
Maybe silverfox will test the Voltages at Highcurrents (0,5 & 1 C) after maybe 40 and 60 days storage @room Temp for Nimh´s and Li ionen too.

by the way
Such a Regulation will drain up to 2 Ampere if good 1,6Ampere if very good Efficient, Low Vf Bin and good Batteries Voltages at high loads than maybe 1,3A.

Now you see that it´s only a little market for such a REAL HighCurrent Flashlight. The LED´s are availables, the Rechargables are good what You and I and a few boardis too are looking for is the efficient regulation that is abled to handle the Vf behaviour of course with overdischages Protection.
The new LRI proton maybe will be the first REAL highcurrent Flashlight.

I would like to have a 2C with real 650-700mA@ the LED Flahlight too but i think it´s a too small market.

You have to know that such a Flashlight have big problems
-with the Battery Source
-needs a different switch construction.
-needs buyers that know what they buy. Normal Buyers don´t know what the difference is between Carbon Zinc and Alkalies primaries! :-D
-buyers needs a big wallet . I think such a flahlight will be hard to build for 30-40 EUR. i think round about 40-60 EUR will be a cheap price.

When i can decide i would like to buy Li ionen Rechargabels like i can buy NiMH´s right now.

Already One Li-ionen Cell is closer to the Voltagesneeds for a LED than 2 NiMH singel Cells.

That are the problems with such a construction. :-(

kd7kmp

Newly Enlightened
I agree with AuroraLite. I have used many different AA configs. I always come back to my modded MiniMags. They are easy to get, very durable, there are a TON of mods out there so you don't have to do any custom work on it. And the cost is very reasonable. You can throw together a killer light for around $50. I EDC a modded MiniMag with a Lambda MiniPro III. It runs a TW0J with a Kroll clickie. This light is used in all sorts of environs: mechanicing, caving, mine exploring, work, and general purpose use.

Kevin

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
a stubby AA driven light like the jrblaster (link doesnt work) should be better than these long things.
if this long thing i got was pumping a full 3W the HEAD isnt good enough to dissipate the heat :-( and it isnt making it to the body well :-(.
(NEXT)

3AA nimhys should be able to pull the 700ma EASY, and 2 should be able to do the 1000ma just fine, but most of the curcuits are not pushing full to the 3W. (wont mention the heat from the curcuits themselves)
that is why i would prefer a Cheezeball direct driving of 3 to a lux3, why blow power out anything that isnt putting out light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

3AAAs even in nimhy, is a bit harsh for the 3W but for small power house with short run its still possible.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
VidPro said:
a stubby AA driven light like the jrblaster (link doesnt work)

[/ QUOTE ]
Evidently the entire Elektrolumens site is temporarily down. I did find this link to the Blaster Jr order page, which says "SHIPPING WILL BEGIN AUGUST 1, 2005" at $38.99.

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
I like the sound of the blaster jr. although i can't get to their website for some reason. how much does it cost?

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Offroadcmpr,

See my most recent post above. I had forgotten to end the "quote" HTML code, so my post, about the site being down and the price being $38.99, looked small, like quoted material. I've fixed it now.