Duty boots...any experience??

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I have tried many brands of duty boots and have a few that I like more than others however I am always looking for something better. I really have had bad luck with the Hi-Tec brand as they seem to not hold up well. I have tried the Rocky line and really do like this one however availability is scarce in my area. I have most recently tried the Bates Enforcer series and find this to be an incredible performer toughwise however comfort is not all it could be.
Anyway I have just found a new boot made by Converse and have read good reviews towards this new boot. It is said it fits like a good running shoe yet is styled as a tactical boot with side zippers. The cost is good and they have plenty in my area. I was wondering if any LEO/Military could give me any first hand experience with this boot or any others you may recommend ?
I prefer the taller boot with side zippers and my dept. rules state that I have to have black boots on duty. If anyone could give me a few on-line dealers who also have good reputations I may consider an on-line purchase yet I do prefer to try a pair on first so this would be a last resort. Also it seems that on-line pricing runs about 30 to 40 dollars more than a local purchase on all the brands I have seen. This new Converse boot goes about 59 dollars here at a local dealer and on line cost was 90 dollars plus shipping.
I looked however did not see any dealers in our forum who offered much in the way of Police Duty footwear. It would be cool if I could get some boots and a few lights from the same place...hehe always thinking like a flashaholic.

Jayman

Newly Enlightened
Well I'm not a LEO/Military, but I do wear boots on the job as an Armored Car guard. We have to buy our own and for the past 5 years I've been wearing the same pair and with the original sole. After a bit of research and shopping around I decided on a pair of boots made by a company called Danner. They make a wide range of boots for LEO/Military, hiking/outdoor and work boots. The ones I have cost around $250Can, so I'm not sure if this is what you're looking to spend, but if you're buying new boots every couple years it's probably worth the investment to get a top quality boot that will last a long time and give you your money's worth, just my two cents /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Here's a LINK for the boots.

COMSEUR

Newly Enlightened
I got 5.11 H.R.T. boots for about 2 month by now. I'm pretty happy with them so far.

5.11 A.T.A.C. 8" boots have a side zipper.

H.R.T. has very good non-slipping soles, very good foot support. I put them thru the ringer when I got them, jumping 'n all, holding up well.
Looks like I'll be wearing them for a while... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LA Police Gear carries 5.11 and light, me thinketh... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I got my stuff from here

but then again, I'm in Yurrope... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Robocop

JayMan many guys at my work wear the Danner boots and I will agree that they are indestructable to say the least. I really do not like the look of the boot however I did see a few new ones on the link and I will research them a little more...thanks for the link.
Comseur that was a very cool web site and those 5.11 boots are more along the style I like...very cool looking boot however I would need to find a local dealer. I am checking out the site LaPolicegear shortly.
I was mainly concerned about the Converse tactical boots for the simple reason there is a dealer nearby me. I really do not know how I feel about a company known for running shoes jumping into the Police boot market however they do look very promising at first glance.
The dealer here is known for his warranties and for his police discounts and he is pushing this line of boots pretty hard. Many co-workers are asking about them however none have tried them. Anyone tried the Converse tactical boots ?...Here is a link to a photo and pretty cool web site
Converse Boots

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
21 years in the USAF...DANNER Ft. Lewis - My first choice!

(Bates aren't bad either.)

Second choice - Red Wings

Third Choice - Wolverine

(Not sure about "black" in the Red Wings & Wolverine - good hunting boots though!)

Robocop

Sigman I have never tried RedWings nor the Wolverine brand as I always thought they specialized in hunting boots. I will look into those brands.
The Danners are popular here simply due to the fact that you basically have a pair of boots forever when you buy them...they do last forever. The main complaint from many is that certain ones are a little heavy on the feet. This may or may not be true with the newer styles however I do like a light boot.
I know that it is hard to make a light boot that will probably last however I do need light before all else really. I have many foot chases and have learned that a light flexible boot makes a world of difference. That is what attracted me also to the new Converse as they specialize in lightweight running shoes. I am thinking that if I could have the comfort and performance of a running shoe yet with the look of a tactical boot it would be a perfect blend for me.
The Bates I have now always wear the bottoms long before the leather sides and stitching. I have replaced a few pair that were in great shape in general yet the tread was pretty bad off after about 6 to 8 months. The Bates do make a really nice looking boot and at 59 dollars at the local Academy Sports they also are pretty popular here.
I have seen Danners after 2 years to honestly look brand new with the exception of a few scuff marks but again they seem to be pretty heavy for my tastes.
Anyway nice to hear from a USAF force veteran and thanks for the input again.

COMSEUR

Newly Enlightened
forgot...

oh, I forgot... I was kinda surprised to find a "Made in China" sticker in 5.11 boots n pants...

I was under the impression 5.11 was homegrown, apparently not.
Having said that, the are issued by various agencies stateside and seem to be holding their own in the quality dept.

I found Danner to be quite heavy as well, btw...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mpr.gif

socom45

Newly Enlightened
Re: forgot...

Comseur, are the 5.11's available with steel toes, and how comfortable are they? Robocop, Wolverine Durashocks are the BEST I've ever had state side while working in a factory, standing 8 hours a day, constantly. Only problem was after say 6-8 months wearing them in water and exposing them to oils (in the plant) the rubber on the very bottom of the sole started to crack...along the across the forward flex point...but then, they did with my brother, while trapping in the winter too. They should have that remedied by now though as it was about 4-5 years ago. Hefty price but worth the money.

simbad

Enlightened

Try the Timberland Pro Series, with steel toe, waterproof and oil resistant sole. I wear them everyday five days a week and are like wearing running shoes, very comfortable.
Not cheap but built like a tank.

COMSEUR

Newly Enlightened

SOCOM, good to see you buddy!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

5.11 H.R.T. have Kevlar/Nylon side panels (which makes for good support), no steel toe, tho... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
But they're EOD approved /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif (and won't go "beep" at checkpoints)

The 5.11 8" A.T.A.C. boot has a steel toe I hear, but also a side zipper (which I'm not a fan of when it comes to boots, but that's my personal opinion)
You'll be after the 8" A.T.A.C. boot. Looks very good, I'd be tempted myself, xept for da zippah... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I can arrange shipping.
Your call.

Stay safe over there now, hear??

p.s.: so far, no complaints in the "comfy" dept., I'll let you know when I find something to ***** about... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

daloosh

Flashaholic*,

I have found the Oakleys to be the most comfortable, lightweight boots I've ever had. I know, yer not crazy about a sport shoe company making boots, howzabout a sunglass company?

The Oakleys look a bit weird, but are easy to wear and give good dry traction. They squeak and slip in the rain, depending on the surface, unfortunately, but that's the only drawback.

daloosh

COMSEUR

Newly Enlightened

lol, good one, daloosh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif (sunglass company) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

They WHAT??? SQUEAK?? SLIP???

You are jesting, one hopes?? They are offered as the equivalent of the GSG9 boot (Adidas)...! How can they sqeak & slip??

Now I'm getting worried about some friends of mine... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

daloosh, pls do a review if you have 'em! Thank you kindly!

RadarGreg

Enlightened

Wolverines are great boots and very comfortable. I have mixed thoughts on the Magnum Hi-Tecs. They fit well, but the tactical pair I use to have didn't have a steel or rigid shank and made standing on some surfaces painful. Don't but the Cocorans unless you enjoy blisters. I don't think I've ever had a pair of them that didn't fit poorly. You didn't say if these boots were for LEO or military use. The standard Army desert boot I'm wearing now has lasted three years, but I think this is about their last trip to Iraq. The sole is pretty worn, but the boot is still comfortable. I think I'm going to try the Converse ones next, but wasn't too keen on the safety toe cap. I've only had one pair of safety boots, Wolverine, that didn't rub the top of my feet and toes. If the Wolverines come in the color/style you like, then I don't think you can go wrong with them. Happy Hunting,

gorn

Enlightened
I've worn Bates floataway jump boots for over 20 years. At least when I was still in a uniform position. I love them. Nice and light, comfortable, In those 20 years I've only had 2 pair. I still have them both and they both still take a spit shine that is supervisor proof.

Turboman7

Newly Enlightened
I have to agree with all the guys that recommend the Danners. They are built to last. I have worn Hi-Tecs, Bates, Timberlands, Danners, and Rockys. The Danners are by far the best, and the most expensive. If you happen to know anyone in Portland Oregon, they might be able to get you a pair from their Factory Outlet. They usualy take off around $100 of the regular retail and Oregon has NO sales taxes. The only problem is that someone has to physicaly go to the store and chose them. The factory outlet items are NOT available on-line.

The Rocky Ram Airs are also pretty good and comfortable. They are water proof and have Gortex liners.

Hope that helps you a bit.

L

LA_Police_Gear

FYI,

All feedback from people who bought 5.11 boots from us has been very good. No one has sent any pair back.

Sean
LA Police Gear Inc

daloosh

Flashaholic*,

Seriously, the Oakleys are incredibly comfortable (more so than GSG-9s), no break-in period, but it's well known that their wet traction leaves something to be desired, and they make noise on smooth wet surfaces, not so great when you are trying to sneak up on someone.

Speaking of water, the Oakleys are waterproof only up to the tongue, there is no inside waterproof layer like many other boots, and are not available with side zippers. I believe there is a low top version, and a different military version for jumps.

I recall several old threads on the Oakleys, and boots in general as well, might be worth a search. I'd like to see a pair of the 5.11s, heard good things about 'em.

daloosh

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here's a little bit of my experience with boots.

Altama Army issue--blisters like crazy, not waterproof
Jungle boots--not comfortable or waterproof
Matterhorn--great but huge
Corcoran II--similar to Altama, but much better looking and no blisters. Parade ground boots.
Danner Raiders--couldn't wear due to painful leather seam in tongue that cuts into top of foot. I cut the stitches of the seam, but still haven't worn them.
Rocky Superstalkers--good rugged boot for rough terrain and cold or wet weather. Not sure if they make these anymore. Usually too hot for southern California and too big for chases.
Rocky Eliminators--my go-to boot. Uninsulated for warm weather, waterproof and very comfortable. Fairly light, but not athletic shoe light. I have worn these for about 10 years, five days a week. Chased down many, many people with them.
Rocky 911s--nearly broke my neck slipping down a steep hillside today chasing some customers wearing these. The flat sole (old style) slides right over the dry straw covering San Diego's hills. No traction. They are lighter and more flexible than anything else I have and don't have the unnecessary (for SoCal summer) Goretex bootie. I thought they would make good "foot chase" boots, but off the pavement, they suck. One bad guy got away.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast

The boots I have that can look good with a pair of kahki's and still survive in the mud when I put them through that is my Danner 8 inch Acadia's. I had them for about 2 1/2 years and they still look great (well I do polish them everytime I wear them, regular polish, I don't spit shine these.)

I had a pair of Altama army issue back in high school (they were new when they were lent to me) and after break in they were fine but uggly as heck. I didn't like them.

In my basement right now I have 2 pairs of Bates tan/roughed out suede USMC new issue boots (hot weather/jungle) and I hate the older pair. The new pair with redesigned lightweight sole is comfortable as heck, the first pair I got sucks big time. I hate them. I also have a pair of Belleville combat boots (cold weather) also the tan roughed out leather kind and these are heavy but comfortable. These new tan boots suck, not durable at all, I find they wear out in about 2 years, then I just turn them in and get a new pair.

Socks is just as important. If it is not hot but around room temp I live off my Thorlo combat boot socks. Expensive at $10-$15 a pair, but I like them.

Which brings me to my last point, everyone is different. I only had one blister in the past 5 years on my feet and that was thanks to boot camp (USMC The Crucible) but it wasn't big and it didn't hurt. I guess my feet don't look as bad as they should be, and no I don't get pedicures.