London Bombing and EDC lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boltgun

Newly Enlightened
First off my deepest sympathies to those hurt/killed and their families. I can only imagine the mayhem that would have been going on there. One minute your riding the subway reading your paper, maybe sipping on a cup of bean, maybe thinking about what the work day has in order for you, maybe thinking about the arguement you had with a loved one then bam, your in another world. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

indoor, underground, smoke, screaming, hard to breath....and it is hard to see anything. I know it makes me want to really make sure I am EDC'ing ALL THE TIME...not when it is convenient (which I have to admit to). Time to get another E2E to have on the person all the time!!

Thanks to CPF for providing a venue in which to talk about a highly underrated tool that most of the population takes for granted until something like that happens.

If this is the wrong forum, sorry in advance...move it to where it needs to go to.

Boltgun

Minimoog

Enlightened
Watching coverage on TV right now - terrible!!!

People were left in the dark for 2 minutes in the underground before the lights came on. Thick choking smoke and panic + dark is a horrible combination.

I agree - an E2e would really come into it's own in a situation like that.

Ian,UK

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was touching up some things on FLDB when I heard about it.. I looked at the whole list of lights and the thought occured to me that any light - just let someone have any light to cut through the darkness.

Thoughts and prayers with all affected by this incident.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Quake II (19LED 2xCR123A) lives in my pocket. But I also carry 3 or 4 cheap 1AA lights in my belt pouch, and 2 or 3 micro lights on my keyring, to hand out in such emergencies, where people are better served by several humble lights than by one very bright one.

matthewdanger

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:
I was touching up some things on FLDB when I heard about it.. I looked at the whole list of lights and the thought occured to me that any light - just let someone have any light to cut through the darkness.

Thoughts and prayers with all affected by this incident.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed! I am sure that even a Photon Micro Light would have been of great comfort to those trapped in the dark subway tunnels.

I can't even imagine the terror they must have experienced. What a sad day for the world. My prayers are with them.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
My thoughts go to the causalties or related parties in the event too.

Truly, my flashlight always come in handy when I expect it least to. And may those who carried them could shine their light where and when it is most needed.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well my dad had just arrived in London and his friend was commuting to pick him up, but are both OK. He is still stranded at the airport, basically the city is pretty much not moving (no supprise if you think about it).

There is some discussion about this over on equipped.org.

But in general, I think the idea is having a light and a dust mask/filter are some of the key essentials.

Personally, I think you need a bright light (like the E2) as well as a long running light (like the L1) as well as at least a few spare batteries.

Consider that at least some of the folks reported choking smoke. It would be hard to see and bright light very well might be needed to make much of a difference. Also consider doing things like searching the walls for an exit. The long running light is helpful since you might be stuck somewhere for a long time and you are aren't going to want to run out of light when you are giving first aid, organizing your gear or whatever...

-john

Boltgun

Newly Enlightened
JohnN,

very good points, dust mask good for the dust but if there is smoke it's useless. be nice to have a small waist pack that you could carry that kind of stuff and not look like a nut.

ETA: just saw the post you were referring to. I now wanna get a few of the evac-u8 hoods and/or some m95 masks. better than squat.

Boltgun

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another call for variable power lights here, the A2 Aviator and its regulated incan + 3 LED setup would be great for such a situation.

I was reading a news article about how some commuters said they were forced to break windows to get out or get some air, some of them used umbrellas and others used even their bare hands. If I had no choice I'd use my U2 but I'd give my Leatherman P4 a shot first - it may be small but when the pliers are locked into position it makes a decent impact tool. Of course, if I was carrying my Wave (not a true EDC, unlike the P4, so I am less likely to have it), then that would be a no brainer. Those pliers are built like rocks.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
On Equipped, there is a bit of discussion of the N95 vs the N95 + charcoal vs something like the EVAC U8.

Certainly, I don't have a lot of experience with this kind of thing, but I'd be interested to learn more.

I'm assuming you are suggesting the problem with toxic gasses?

I just looked at the EVAC U8 web site and they indicate it has " Hopcalite catalyst converts carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide". Starting to sound like a better solution all the time.

-john

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Indeed. My condolences to those who have had friends or family hurt in the blasts. Maybe I'm a paranoid for carrying several lights with me at once... but in that kind of darkness, having an LH and a bunch of other lights would've be essential to navigating.

And I do EDC my Charge around on a daily basis. Maybe paranoia has its uses....

Size15's

Flashaholic
If we could keep this thread on flashlights rather than the London Bombings (because it has a Cafe thread) it would prevent this thread being closed due to it being a duplicate.

Cheers,

Al

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how many people work below ground level and carry a light? Not all buildings have battery powered emergency lights or in all locations. Even those with emergency generators can have problems and private offices and some rooms may lack lights connected to the system.

This was the case, several months ago, in one of the buildings I provide maintenance for. Being a CPFaholic, I had three lights on me so when my office went dark I was able to navigate the dark lower level of the building and get one of the generators running.

Reliable flashlights ought to be mandatory emergency provisions for some instances, and be located in secure enclosures similar to fire extinguishers.

It would be a shame if terrorism is what makes people more aware of the need for light in unexpected circumstances.

HEK_Hamburg

Newly Enlightened
Sure an EDC would be great in a situation like this. But I dont think it make sense to tell people they should EDC a light now becuz the danger of terror.
A body armor and kevler helmet make sense too, but nobody EDC it.
I dont want to see that Osama bin Laden is able to force other people wearing flshlights 24/7.

And I think the most people used their mobiles to get some light.

Im with the victims and their families!

makar

Enlightened
This thread has a bad aftertaste for me. A terror attack happened with lots of victims and we relate this/discuss with/about flashlights? For me the condolence thread in the cafe is enough. Just my $0.02.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forcing people to EDC a light was not my intent. Placing lights with already established fire extinguishers was just a thought. They'd get ripped off, however, unless secured in some manner.

Body armor and things of that nature are too cumbersome for practical use. A microlight, or other, small, light is easily carried and could well save lives. Imagine several lives saved because someone EDC'd a light and was able to find an, otherwise, obscured exit.

This is a valid subject for emergency planning and newspaper /web editorials where public service/safety info is publicized. Why not discuss it here?

HEK_Hamburg

Newly Enlightened
Well placing lights in metro is a good idea I think.

I also think that its ok, to talk about this even with the background of the victims. Maybe just the Idea of jayflash will help to make it safer in future... who knows!?

HWilliam

Newly Enlightened
"This is a valid subject for emergency planning and newspaper /web editorials where public service/safety info is publicized. Why not discuss it here?"

Yeah. I don't see any reason why condolences and preparation are or should be mutually exclusive.

In any event, I've lived in T-storm/tornado country and now in earthquake/blackout country and know from experience that having a good light handy is important. However, there's nothing like a real tragic event to get most people to think about what they don't want to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts