Streamlight 4AA Propol. -buy it or something else?

KarlTiger

Newly Enlightened
I'am looking for opinions on Streamlight Propolymer 4AA Luxeon. I need a good camping light and I've chosen that model over Inova T2 and Minimag mods (and various other models). I have some doubts if it's a good decision.

Advantages:
- good runtime
- regulated
- uses AA cells
- should has a good throw

I'm concerned about:
- dimensions (Isn't it too long ?)
- waterproofness (Can I use it underwater ? Not to dive, but to dunk for 2hrs.)
- can it be locked-out ? Can I throw it into a backpack and not worry about accidental activation ?
- how does it work with weak (non alkaline) cells ?
- can it be stored with cells inside without risk of explosion ?

I'm still thinking about Minimag mods. Minimag is smaller, I can edc it. Is there any Minimag mod, that will be better for camping then Propolymer 4AA Luxeon ? It should has good output, runtime of 2 or more hours and be dunkable for 2hrs.

Few more questions:
- Which color to choose ? Black or yellow ? Just personal preference ?
- Is its package sealed, or not, so it can be checked before shipment ?
- Where to buy it ? Brighguy doesn't has them on stock. I want new light from a shop. Maybe pocketlights ?

SAKLED

Newly Enlightened

RIP

Newly Enlightened
Re: Streamlight 4AA Propol. -buy it or something e

I have this light and IMO The 4AA propoly LUX is one of the best lights in its class if not the best. It is MUCH brighter than the UK 4AA mentioned above and has a tight beam with good spill over. Last slightly less than 4 hours regulated.

I cant say enough good things about this light. You will be very happy with this light

It cant be locked out but the switch is partially protected from accidental activation by raised tabs molded into the tail of the light.
streamlight_propolyluxeon_005.jpg

Water Resistance is very good, and although it is not dive rated, I have no doubts that it can withstand a fairly significant dunking. The switch is rubber sealed and there is an O-ring sealing the head of the light. The safety vent valve is an umbrella valve that only allows pressure out, keeping the environment from getting in.

streamlight_propolyluxeon_002.jpg

Some of the above info and pictures taken from FLASHLIGHT REVIEWS.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

A Lambda MiniPro 3w or maybe even a 1w in a MiniMag with 20mm reflector on regular batteries could be close.

I run a MP 3w in a cutdown single cell with LiON getting 2000 LUX with great output. But you'd need a standard minimag to use primaries like two L91's.

My SL PP 4AA Luxeon gets 3000 LUX and it's regulated for about 4hrs of runtime and then low level for a while. Check flashlightreviews for stats.

Crow

Newly Enlightened

I agree with rip. The propoly is an incredible general purpose light and I'd recommend it as such without hesitation. It has delicious throw--more than an Inova T4, almost as much as a 3c magmod. You'll definitely see things at a distance, and the sidespill is lovely. It's also very comfortable in the hand and very durable. The yellow version is VERY YELLOW! It really jumps out at the eye, so if you're doing sneaky covert stuff then go with black. I believe the package is sealed.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's where I bought mine. The service regarding ease of purchase and speed of delivery was excellent. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

txmatt

Enlightened

Another vote for the Propoly Lux. I think I've only read one person on CPF who actually has one that wasn't pleased. Almost all other comments have been very positive.

I now use the Propoly 4AA Lux instead of a Surefire G2 for camping. As others have said, it has great throw, usable spill, a nice medium size, and good run time. I run 2500mAH NiMH's in mine. I've never run them long enough in one usage or weekend to notice a brightness difference or require recharge/replacement.

The only thing that would make this light better for me would be a low power mode. It's too bright for up close work. I use a CMG Infinity Ultra and now an Arc AAA for close-up or in-tent usage.

Matt

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Right. I took mine camping but only used it to show off to the other guys. It's too bright for camp use. Otherwise it is a great light which fits well in my big hands.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you "must" get a 4AA model, look at the Xtreme Lite Dive Light, which has three levels.

Personally, I've weaned myself from 4-cell lights. I got tired of carrying 4 spare cells in case I left the switch on. I can't even imagine using a 6-cell light. Imagine how frustrating it would be to find yourself with 5 good cells, but a 6th is nowhere to be found.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

Update on the 4AA PP Luxeon. I checked if it had lockout and it does... sort of. If you twist the bezel until you the light turns off you should be ok. Still looks like it would be water proof and if it accidentally gets truned back on in your backpack the light only comes on for a slight flash when the contacts touch just in that brief moment.

I'd also like to recommend one of those single cell AA 12-LED lights on Ebay. There have a long runtime around 20hrs and a wide spot with spill. The are very durable, look like they're waterproof and they come with a nylon belt holster. Not bad for $10 shipped. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast

The light will work on 2, 3 or 4 cells. So the light will work on 3 to six 6 volts. If the light runs on 2xNiMh cells then it would run on 2.4 volts.

If you are minimulist you would only have to carry two cells to keep the light running. And you'd have to carry dummy cells or some aluminium foil.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Out of the many flashlights I've owned, I consider the polypro Lux to be the best value for the money light. I would sacrifice some throw for a wider hotspot but the spill light is nice. I wouldn't call the level of output to be tactical but probably the advertised claim of 40 lumens isn't too far off. I compare it to my similar priced CMG Reactor of two years ago and realized how far luxeon lighting has come. I plan on giving a couple as gifts this upcoming Christmas.

Longbow

Enlightened

If I could have ONLY one flashlight....Streamlight 4AA Propolymer Luxeon.