has anyone tried this light from CTD?

triedntrue

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to pick up some inexpensive flashlights for my mom and girlfriend to have around the house and I saw these for $12.97 in the latest Cheaper Than Dirt catalog. Has anyone tried one of these?

LIGHT-108.jpg

Xenon light at CTD

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
Would they be Ok with using CR123A batteries? They are like $9 a pair, but they are available for about $1 each on the internet. You might want to buy them a case if you do buy them that light. From what I've read those POLICE lights are pretty cheap quality, but I don't own one so I won't say anything more. By the way: I think you can buy those POLICE lights for a few dollars on ebay. Just type in "POLICE flashlight".

I think there are better lights out there for about $15-$20.
AmondoTech Flashlights

Advancedmart Flashlights

EDIT: One more link for you to check out:

http://www.brightguy.com/

hausenfefr

Newly Enlightened
i bought that for i believe $3 from global-wholesale-direct.com. the quality matches the price pretty well but it is very bright on fresh batteries. uses a bi-pin style direct drive xenon bulb. the switch is very rudimentary, just a plastic nub on a spring behind a rubber membrane. its not a clickie but it does have the lock-out feature. if you can get it for $5 or less then go fo it but its not worth more than that. I have been reccommending the uk 4aa eled to anyone who wants a general purpose houselight. hope that helps.

triedntrue

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I'm glad I asked. I was hoping these might be similar in quality to something like a Surefire G2.

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
If you want comparable G2 quality look for the Brinkman Maxfire or the Brinkman Legend LX. They are about 15 or 20 bucks. I have one of each and they are very good, especially the Brinkman Legend LX. It has a very nice beam.

triedntrue

Newly Enlightened
That's probably more in line with what I'm looking for. I think I'll stop by WalMart tomorrow and see if I can find a couple of each of those.

HaulinLow

Newly Enlightened
hausenfefr, I love that name!!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif What was that king trying to order anyway?

I also love the Brinkmann maxfire. It is a well built, light weight, bright, cheap light.

triedntrue

Newly Enlightened
Well, based on the recommendations here, I picked up the last two Brinkmann Maxfires that my local Target had in stock. Thanks for the tip!