Anyone own brand new shasta "N" cell peak 1xLED?

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone own brand new shasta \"N\" cell peak 1xLED?

EDIT: see followup at bottom of thread.

Just thought there pocket light is kinda cool being shorter then the lug AAA. I would keep in it in my bedside table, or mini BBB.

I know that it's less energy and runtime with that batt but kinda dig it none the less.
if it's inially as bright as a AAA 1XLED, reason i ask since it's been just lately that the AAA 1xLED and circuit
has been boosted, and wanted to avoid a 8 mth old review. VDG

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Anyone own brand new shasta \"N\" cell peak 1xLE

This site lists all the latest Peaks, and their specs, more clearly than Peak's own site.

The Shasta looks plenty bright for its size, but I saw no mention of "Ultra" that would suggest that it's using a brighter LED than before.

gorlank

Enlightened

I really like the Peaks but dang is their product line confusing.

Luxman

Enlightened

I would call the 1 LED N cell about 2/3 as bright as the Peak AAA single LED light and a little less bright than my CMG Ultra G. It has a nice smooth beam with a little blueish tint and central hot spot about 1/2 the area of the Peak AAA.
Hope that helps...

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Luxman said:
I would call the 1 LED N cell about 2/3 as bright as the Peak AAA single LED light and a little less bright than my CMG Ultra G. It has a nice smooth beam with a little blueish tint and central hot spot about 1/2 the area of the Peak AAA.
Hope that helps...

[/ QUOTE ]

How new is that light? because all ultras have had upgraded
LEDS and circuitry in the last 4 weeks or so, making me figure it's the same pil and LED as a ultra power 1xAAA.I thik I wil call peak for varification. I am
more wondering how you like the form factor. VDG

Luxman

Enlightened

The order was placed 6/13/05 and received shortly afterwards.
Just does not seem like an ultra to me. Its also almost the same brightness as a CMG 1 AAA Sonic.
What do mean by form factor?
I got the pocket model to keep it as short as possible. The shape feels nice in hand or pocket with no sharp edges (overall good quality). Its a little thicker than AAA due to N cell but shorter. I think I notice the N cell version a little less in my pocket than the AAA version since its shorter while horizontal in my pocket.
Does this answer your question?

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast

You might also want to consider the TnC Key-Lux. With an AAA adapter, you can use either an N cell or a AAA cell. There's a discussion forum here.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

Damn!!! that should not be. (just called them, same pill/LED. should be much brighter)

first check the gold button and see if it has a "U" or a "H" if not a U it's gonna be dimm. check the batt, etc.

It should in ultra trim, kill a infinaty ultra, and sonic, older ARC-P etc. (the sonic, which unlike many here, I love!) and most other AAA light's

see what letter is on your bezel bottom.

I thank you for the description of the form factor, sound's fine for my use. thanks LUXMAN. VDG

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Paul_in_Maryland said:
You might also want to consider the TnC Key-Lux. With an AAA adapter, you can use either an N cell or a AAA cell. There's a discussion forum here.

[/ QUOTE ]

too big. VDG

Luxman

Enlightened

VDG,
Its an "H".
I like the brightness; it seems quite useful and if the brighter LED is not more efficient, then of course, get more run time from a small bat. But...it sounds like you want super bright - and the heck w/ run time(?).
And Oh, the new ARC-P is much brighter too (forgot I had that one-just got it yesterday)

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Luxman said:
VDG,
Its an "H".
I like the brightness; it seems quite useful and if the brighter LED is not more efficient, then of course, get more run time from a small bat. But...it sounds like you want super bright - and the heck w/ run time(?).
And Oh, the new ARC-P is much brighter too (forgot I had that one-just got it yesterday)

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool! I thought you meant disapointed it wasn't bright, my mistake! from dealing with my two new peaks i do like the brighter "U" light circuit but do want a lux type bright.
I also LOVE the infinity ultra's got 2 CMG 1 ultra-G (wish
I could have had another "G") so brightness is not be all end all for me.

OH! tell me about your new ARC! I have a little idea since I used one of my many mag soli host's to get and Idea of the new ARC and newest peak brightness and beam wise, since I have an nichia LED like what is in the new ARC. Killer!

I would say it's close the ARC is a bit brighter in a spill kinda way, and just really nice looking. The peak seem's to throw a god bit more, which I like being a HDS KL-1 kinda guy. It's much whiter, natural color, and Like i said it's throw was really great.(lit up my next door houses side from 50-70ft, est)

One light that really is bright is a modded soli host with a terralux microstar I put it and modded the rflector, MAN! it's like a mini KL-4! big huge flood. this plugin is not real great stock but after modding including a dome over the LED it a bad ***!.

other then those, i use my sonic a good deal indoor's.

Thanks for the info for the peak shasta pocket! VDG

Luxman

Enlightened

VDG,
I am actually a little dissappointed in the CMG Ultra-G.
I bought 2 Ultra-Gs and both have small holes and I guess what you would call artifacts in a few areas within the central area of the beam. Its beam is also a little bluer than the ARC's (see the ARC thread we're currently in for the ARC info). I guess a smooth beam is more important to me than color - unless its real blue...
Years ago I bought the original dim CMG AA and liked it very much - nice beam - my mother wanted/took it so I have never replaced it until now. I think I liked the original better ... probably bc of the nice beam. Maybe I was just unlucky on my Ultra-Gs - I guess, if I can find them, I'll buy a couple more and see if I can get one w/ a nice beam.
I also bought the Gerber AA and its a nice light - smooth beam and I think good color (just gave it away). The only negative on the Gerber is I like a front twist vs. a rear twist cap. I find I can turn a light on/off much easier w/ one hand when its a front twisty.
I think I will get another Gerber though.

Oh, realizing how much you like throw - have you tried the new 3 C LED Beam??
It really shines when it comes to throw!

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast

2004 measurements of Peak lights from From LED Museum:

1 LED N cell: 14,380 mcd
3 LED N cell: 21,700 mcd

Crafg's AAA reviews seemed to have a red beam.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

Me too. My CMG's are better aligned and beam wise better then my G.
My one has a good hotspot and good spill, one has little hotspot, but great flood. The "G" hang's above my computer to light up the keyboard when my daughter is home, and I let her crash on the couch and not her bedroom (I spoil her, since I am no always around)
I will have to try some of the new gerber offering's.

PIM:
I called peak, and the new ultra po "N" is the same new circuit and snow LED as the AAA.So i really want one now.With the two ARC-P's two peak "U"'s and a shasta I think I am covered for small pocket light's.. Yeah right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif VDG

Lambert

Newly Enlightened

Candle Power of 1LED N cell Shasta:

1LED: 14 to 18cp ( Hi-Power )
1LED: 22 to 28cp ( Ultra-Power )

Both come with the snow colored LED option.

Battery Life:

Hi-Power: 1 LED: 10 hours 50% 12 hours
Ultra-Power: 1 LED: 4.5 hours 50% 10 hours

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Anyone own shasta \"N\" cell peak (followup)

A follow up. I did get the N pocket ultra 1XLED a few week's a go before leaving on tour.

It's lotto on 5mm snow's just as in most LED's.

It's a bit brighter and throw's more then my lithium powered 1XAAA/1xLED ultra po matterhorn.(both have latest LED/ciruit) go figer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

runtime is bad, but i knew that going in.
It's kurling is thicker, i like that, and small size/flat bottom is a plus for night stand/bus bunk use.
same great fit & finish, very good machining on the thread's, foam ring rattle stopper in tube like the mattie, a superior placement imho.

other then wishing there was a lith "N" cell available or nimh version, I am pretty happy. prop's to luxman for turning me on to this. VDG

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
voodoogreg said:
other then wishing there was a lith "N" cell available or nimh version, .........

[/ QUOTE ]

You can purchase NiMH N cells. I purchased one a few years ago from Radio Shack.

Paul

Luxman

Enlightened

Thanks...I'am really Glad you like it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif..and Great that Chimo found the NiMH cell for you.
I got another N 1xLED too!!
Had to try it in "Ultra" and "Snow". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Still the excellent smooth beam, its a little brighter and more white than the "H".

How do you like the beam color and quality?

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

Love the beam and tint,it's consistant with my AAA light in that respect. The brightness is kinda weird, a "N" at 1.6V
is brighter then the mattie at 1.8 (lithium)

I did find RC used to have nimh "N"'s but i can no longer find them, and in googleing one night for an hour or so and found an R/C racing forum that stated radio shack didn't have the batt anymore. If anyone knows different let me know the link!

I am really happy with all the "small" light's I have got from peak and ARC and sure there will be more maker's coming into this niche of little LED lights.

One thing that is dawning on me is there is a lotto in 5mm LED's as much as lux's, i have two new ARC-P's that have noticably different brightness and degree of angle bought same day, one is brighter and flood's more and one is less bright and has less spill giving it the effect of being more spot then flood.

I did find a place then lost it (always bookmark!) that sell duracell and energizer "N"'s for 65-85 cent's a piece, so I know once I am home long enough, I will get a bunch of those. I don't know how much better or worse the big two are to the panasonic and radio shack batt's, but that's way cheaper and one would expect they will be as good or better in runtime.
But if anyone know's of a rechargeable "N" cell available let me know! VDG