• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Sold: Gold Flashed RAW with U-bin Lux III

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I've had a lot of fun polishing and having this RAW gold flashed, it deserves a new home (besides, I have a few Goldern Groovy!s sitting around to play with).

So here it is (dust specks not included):

GoldenRawVertical.jpg

GoldenRawSlanted.jpg

Note that there is some gold flash missing in the lanyard groove. That is where the plater decided to grab onto the body, so if you look carefully you can see the raw AL showing. For all practical purposes, it is hardly noticable, but it is there. If you were to use a lanyard, or one of the rings that others have proposed, then it would be hidden from view.

So here's what is offered:
<ul type="square">
RAW that has been hand o=polishe and the Gold Flashed
U-binned Lux III emitter
Green Tritium marker installed
Nano charger with magnets for spacing
Rechargeable CR2 battery,
Plastic mailing tube
Virtually unused except for testing. [/list]

Basically as received from ORB.

Price: $200, postpaid via Priority Mail or Global Priority mail.

First, "I'll take it," posted here claims preference.

PayPal cash to: PayCashPal (at) photonfanatic.com
or
PayPal with credit card (please add 4%) to: fanatic (at) photonfanatic.com

Thanks.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FS: Gold Flashed RAW with U-bin Lux III

Well in the order of things and getting a nice head-start on my collection this seems like quite a gimme.. considering the amt of working polishing it seems like quite a deal... woah.. CR2.. had no idea. In any event.. I'll take it. Do you know the bin on the emitter (tint/vf)... this will take a bite out of the RT4 costs.. i'll definitely be in the 'owe' column now.

-awr

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ha. Ha. You were already "owe" column as I calculate it, so cough up the dough! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/takeit.gif $202 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/paypal.gif sent the $2 was for the 'cough' ... from memory, so sorry if it was off :-D

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, Andrew. I'm sure it will have a nice spot on your shelf. Whatever you do, don't play with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

... and now it'll get vivisected for its U-binned LuxIII. He's a Luxeon harvester, don't you know? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

How DID you do the gold flash again?

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Haesslich,

Get a cauldron . . .

Gold flash is an electoless deposition process--the parts get immersed in a gold bearing cyanide solution at about 170 degrees F and the gold bonds to the metal. Pretty simple process; I think it can be done at home, in fact, but the solution is expensive, of course.

One must avoid at all costs, any mixing of that solution with metallic acids, or you will regret it!

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

funny about u-bin harvesting... well.. that is a possibility if i'd keep it on my shelf... but.. hmm.. gold-plated tiny brightass light.. i think that'll be in my waistpack for show-off on a number of occasions. I don't really believe in buying a light that won't be used, but i just bought my 4th lion cub so it won't be in the rotation too much. there is a chance i'd do some emitter swapping.. but more likely that i'll upgrade the RAW to 3-level or continuously variable.

-awr

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you get it going continuously-variable, will you mod others' lights to do the same? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It's pretty useful as a two-stager, but with an extra level...

Also, Photon, you did the gold flash with the H3 vial in place, correct? You didn't remove it? I'm wondering if the solution sticks only to metal, or if the glass might also have some of it stick.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

oh heck i didn't know it was two stage.. that means it'd probably have the xtra room i need to make it 3.. i'm just going to steal my nano ckt and put it in... either full dimmer or 3-level not sure 'cause i haven't seen it apart yet.

I believe Fred said he didn't take out the vial.. mentioned someting about slighly polishing the glass tube.. glass being non metallic i'm betting doesn't chemically react to the plating compound.

-awr

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
andrewwynn said:
oh heck i didn't know it was two stage.. that means it'd probably have the xtra room i need to make it 3.. i'm just going to steal my nano ckt and put it in... either full dimmer or 3-level not sure 'cause i haven't seen it apart yet.

I believe Fred said he didn't take out the vial.. mentioned someting about slighly polishing the glass tube.. glass being non metallic i'm betting doesn't chemically react to the plating compound.

-awr

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright - and I have the 4sevens modded two-stage Orb RAW, which is why I -do- have that funcitonality. Out of the package, as it is, there's just 'on' and 'off'. I don't know how much room you have inside to work with, but a constant-dimming Raw would be quite interesting, or at least a three-stage.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

well the entire power module for the nano is about 9mm diameter and 5-6mm tall.. i'll have to see the thing before i know how it'll work.. but if the 4sevens mod works i'm sure i can fit a 3 or contant driver in there.

-awr

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

HOLY COW is this thing bee aay you tee ful.

and i ought to mention.. SCARY bright.. is that a cut-down McR20 in there?

i popped it on my ammeter and even going through the leads i measured about 600mA... but check this out... put it on the light meter... 1600-1700 lux! that's on-par with my lionCub no kidding... using about 1/3 the current... what emitter did you say was used in these RAWs? it's definitely a cream-of-the-crop U bin.. i'm completely stunned!

The space taken by the spring in the bottom will give me PLENTY of room to make a driver that'll let me make it dimmable.. i'll try to make a version that is completely plug n play so any RAW user could just pop in a 3-level driver.. probably will knock a bit off the high-level because even full-open the transistor is 0.045ohm.. which last time i did math was slightly more than 0.001 or whatever the bare contacts are.

In any event.. 'score' for me this was a hell of a grab, thanks fred for polishing the snot out of it.. gold plating it and offering it.

-awr

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
andrewwynn said:
HOLY COW is this thing bee aay you tee ful.

and i ought to mention.. SCARY bright.. is that a cut-down McR20 in there?

i popped it on my ammeter and even going through the leads i measured about 600mA... but check this out... put it on the light meter... 1600-1700 lux! that's on-par with my lionCub no kidding... using about 1/3 the current... what emitter did you say was used in these RAWs? it's definitely a cream-of-the-crop U bin.. i'm completely stunned!

The space taken by the spring in the bottom will give me PLENTY of room to make a driver that'll let me make it dimmable.. i'll try to make a version that is completely plug n play so any RAW user could just pop in a 3-level driver.. probably will knock a bit off the high-level because even full-open the transistor is 0.045ohm.. which last time i did math was slightly more than 0.001 or whatever the bare contacts are.

In any event.. 'score' for me this was a hell of a grab, thanks fred for polishing the snot out of it.. gold plating it and offering it.

-awr

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a bit TOO small to be a McR20 - I'm comparing it to the Aleph 2 I have, and the McR reflector's too large at the bottom to be it, plus the angles are all wrong - but it does have a similar beam quality. The emitter's probably a UW0J, like the one I've got here, which makes it even whiter and brighter than the Aleph 3 I have... which was probably the whitest Lux III I'd owned up till now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you can get the dimmer to work with a modded Orb RAW 2-stager, let me know? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Heck, if that works, I might end up sending this baby away to get modded again...

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

i've shown the RAW-G to a few people now and my brothers it was almost impossible to pry from their hands.. only the Nano so far has had that much 'grab appeal'.

The reflector appears to be a turned down McR20.. i took it out and looked at it.. if it's not it's a carbon copy it would seem.

I sure wish i could find some more Ubin emitters.. they are definitely named right with the U standing for the material they are made from: unobtainium.

I'm stunned by the output of this little monster.. i'm going to put a full 20mm reflector on and see what i get.. actually.. i think better yet.. i'm going to put the raw emitter board on my bench power supply and put 1100mA into it and measure the output to compare to my other Ubin emitters..

-awr