Is this an ok PIC-programmer?

Robban

Enlightened
I had one of my crazy impulses again and thought I should play a bit with PICs. It just seems like a fun thing to try. So I hit google and started reading tutorials. Then I realized that I need a programmer for this aswell... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So then I went to Ebay to see if there was anything cheap available for a newbie such as myself. I came across this. Is it worth picking up?
Ebay link
(Now I just now that they will get sold out and I wont get any :p )

A few things to consider. I've NEVER handled anything like this. I'm a total newbie wanting to learn and have some fun along the way.

What say ye? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

legtu

Enlightened
Hmmmm... looks kinda expensive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Robban

Enlightened
Well, I don't know a darn thing about this stuff so I don't know how much I should be looking to spend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif What pricerange is more apropriate? And can you recommend any specific units?

I don't want to build my own to start with.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no info on that particular model. But I think the thing to do would be to try out some of the various softwares for compiling and testing, and see which one of those you like the best, and then get a programmer that they say is specifically supported by the software.

Rather than buy something first, and then lean about what software it comes with /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Or at the very least, read up on the various offerings first, there is TONS of info on PIC's and pic programmers on the web. So much so that you'll be floundering in it for a while. But once you get afloat you'll be able to sort out what hardware you want to get.

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks like a OK programmer. Will probably do everything you want for a beginner. I did consider building my own (there are tons of schematics on the net) but i did not want to source the parts so I just bought the K128 USB one from www.kitsrus.com

Robban

Enlightened
Thanks for the input guys. I'll look around some more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif