Mag Vari-Beam info

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know a few guys here have these lights, so I thought I'd post what I know. Always trying to dig up more heavy duty light history. Just got a 5D puppy of my own and I found the straight dope on them.

They're not proto-Mag-Lites, or from before the Mag-Lite name, or preproduction units or anything else like you hear sometimes.

So what _are_ they? Well, it turns out they're Mag's only alternate product line I'm aware of. Made for the automotive industry in the early '80s until 1985, these were sold simultaniously with the regular Mag-Lites. The black police models were easy to lose in a dark garage, under a car, or in an engine compartment. So that's the reasoning behind the "Tokyo Auto Show" color scheme.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
whoa, I read your post incorrectly as something relating to those. Bad assumption on my part.

Mike 161

Newly Enlightened
Would these "Vari-Beam" lights be blue in color with white switch covers? I saw those lights in auto parts stores during the 80's, but I don't remember what the name was.

I do remember thinking they looked exactly like a Mag-Lite, and that they cost less than the comparable Mag-Lite. Never owned one.

Mike

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're electric blue with bare aluminum bezel ring and tailcap. Don't know about white switch covers. The ones I've seen are black, though some may have been white.