why drive SUV ??

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do so many Americans still drive large SUV? I am just don't understand why anyone want to pay so much for gas. I am from canada where most people drive compact-medium cars. The few SUV on the streets belong to the rich-superrich group of people. They spend $200bucks a day on gas. I spend $25bucks a week on gas on honda 93 accord 4door. Do American have some kind of SUV fetish? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
darrel drives a hummer ill let him post picture.and let him tell you why /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess the person driving the SUV, using your example (usd$200/day vs cdn$25/week) is driving a 1,000 miles per day--and you are only driving 230 miles a week...

-Bill

jtr1962

Flashaholic
This may answer your question. My own personal theory is that most SUV drivers bought one to compensate for poor driving habits by using the size of their vehicle to intimidate others. As for the gas, I think the average vehicle in the US is driven 15,000 miles per year, so an SUV getting 10 mpg would use 1300 gallons more per year than a subcompact getting 75 mpg. At $2.75 per gallon that comes to about $70 more money spent per week on gas than would need to be spent otherwise even with this extreme example. Sure, it's a significant amount, but hardly a budget breaker for most families. Regardless, I never understood the SUV craze myself. They're so damned ugly for starters. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a SUV because i wanted one. I can intimidate people all day long with my bad driving habits in my camaro or my trans am. I bought the Yukon because it's 4WD, can seat people far more comfortably, and i can use it to tow the boat to the lake. And i got a pretty killer deal on it. Oh and the leather seats in the GM SUV's are SOOOOO comfortable.

Ford's leather in the XLT Expadition isnt too bad but the leather in the Eddie Bauer Edition Expadition is HORRABLY uncomfortable.

Shane

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
If you can afford it, why not?

We her at CPF we do the same thing. Why buy a $120 flahslight when you can easily use a $20 or even a disposable $5 light? The $120 flashlight is more expensive and usually has shorter runtime becuase of CR123 btteries and they are more expensive. But we still buy them, because we can!...and perhaps because were a little crazy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, and to put things out there. Here's the rundown from just some of my immediate family.

Mom, 98 Ford Expedition - Eddie Baur Edition
Oldest Brother - 002 Ford Expedition - XLT
Older Brother - 04 Yukon XL 4wd
Sister - 98 Chevy Suburban
Younger Brother - 98 Chevy Blazer
and me, 96 GMC Yukon 4WD.

Guess our family just liked SUV's. I've Also got 2 other brothers, They dont own SUV's but they, as well as my dad, all have full-size pickups /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Shane

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also drive an SUV, a 98 Chevy Blazer. I drive a Pontiac Grand Am too. Does that make me a bad and intimidating driver when I'm in my Blazer and a good driver when I'm in my car? I don't think so. I drive both of them the same. Like Former_Mag_User said, if you can afford it, why not? I do understand that some people who do drive SUV's drive like a$$holes, I sure have encountered enough of them. But don't clump us all into that category. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lisa

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im 2 short to drive suv.im wont be able to see over hood im surespecaily cause im shortest from my waist to my head.i want a mini cooper .or other very small pepppy car.well also i want a new vette ill suffer in the vettte lol

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has nothing to do with intimidating people or trying to project an image. I think that most folks who drive an SUV do so because they are utilitarian. At least for me, it provides sufficient interior space, an adequate cargo area behind the back seat, the ability to fold the back seat forward to carry a large object, and four wheel drive for the snow. I drive an Explorer, and when it passes 250K miles someday I hope to get something a little bigger. Plus, I have seen my share of terrible vehicle accidents and I'd rather have my kids inside a vehicle that weights 4500 lbs (the Explorer) rather than a 2300 lbs compact.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

best regards

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Full-size SUV's weigh in at closer to 6000 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif the 04 Mustang cobra believe it or not weighs a hair under 4000lbs with driver. scary isnt it?

Shane

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
4 kids, their friends, dance gear, soccer gear, football gear.

We love to travel, our best trip was a 10,000 mile, 30 day, round the country trip 4 years ago this summer.

Our 2000 Yukon XL has been the most dependable, enjoyable car I've ever owned. (I know, someone will say that how can that be? But it is.) I get about 14 MPG around town, 18 on the road and have gotten as good as 20.

Not great mileage, but multiply that by 6 (the number of people in the rig) and it beats the one person in a sub-compact 75 MPG quoted above!

For long trips, I've never had a better choice. That long wheelbase and great point of view just are the best highway eaters I know!

Bill

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i want a full frame and hauling capacity.
no plastic disposable junk here.
88 chevy g20
85 olds custom cruiser
70 chevy elcamino 400+ rwhp
82 suzuki gs1100 gl with 1327 kit.

rscanady

Enlightened
Hallis, PN, and bwaites hit the nail on the head. They are utilitarian. No way you are gonna seat 7 and still be able to pull a trailer or boat over a dirt road in a toyota camry!

Ryan

J_Oei

Enlightened
Fortunately, this is the land of the free. Can we do away with all the "Why do you need to ..." threads? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dedhorse.gif
As was pointed out, we are here on an extreme flashlight board, where a bunch of people just spent $399 for a LionCub. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif
I have seen the same on other luxury-item boards (cameras, knives, watches, cars, guns, etc). Why do people do what they do? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Because they want to!! Pretty much, as long as it doesn't bother me, they can do whatever they want. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

To remain on topic, I drive a Range Rover. Gas mileage isn't anything to brag about (13 city, 18 highway), but the reason I got one was the last accident I was in, my Honda Accord was run over by a Range Rover. (I was at a stop light!) The Range Rover drove away with minimal damage, and my car was totalled. To the Range Rover, I was just a bump on the road. No more little cars for me!!

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I drive an SUV and a pickup because I can (want to).
I believe I am still free to "blow" MY money how I see fit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

And ALL my vehicles have working (CA/CARB) emissions components. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

EDIT: "Big Oil" loves me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
my mother drives one, weekly she drives huge canvases around to various galleries in her town. My sister-in-law drives one to move 2 dogs and her child. My mother-in-law drives one because she is pretty much a full time volunteer at the thrift store for the local humane society. She makes pickups of the stuff that people donate to help raise money for the animals. She always is off to somewhere else in town to pickup a load of stuff. Another good friend not related to me drives one because he's in charge of the car pool with his 3 kids and several neighbors to get to school every day.

So not everybody drives them just by themselves for no good reason other than they want to. Some people actually make good use of them, in which case it's definitely OK to have one.

And while there are plenty of them around, many many many people drive little old gas sipping sedans or hatchbacks like mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I can vouch with some certainty that nobody here pays anywhere near $200 a week in gas. At least nobody I know. With the amount of driving I do and my car I pay less than $20 every 2 weeks!

It's not as bad as you have been led to believe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jtr1962

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
rscanady said:
They are utilitarian. No way you are gonna seat 7 and still be able to pull a trailer or boat over a dirt road in a toyota camry!

[/ QUOTE ]
The thing is how many SUV drivers really do those things on any kind of regular basis, if at all? Most of the time it's just the driver either commutting or buying groceries. For those rare times you may need hauling capacity or space to seat 7 why not just rent an SUV and drive something more economical the rest of the time? Do you own a moving truck just in case you move, for example? I can see someone who hauls trailers, goes off-road, or carries a lot of things on a regular basis owning an SUV, but that fits maybe about 0.1% of SUV owners.

[ QUOTE ]
powernoodle said:
Plus, I have seen my share of terrible vehicle accidents and I'd rather have my kids inside a vehicle that weights 4500 lbs rather than a 2300 lbs compact.

[/ QUOTE ]
The problem with this line of reasoning is twofold. First, weight does NOT equal safety. A 1700 lb Indy car can crash into a wall at 200 mph and the driver can walk away. Why? Because of the body design and restraint system. Restraints in production cars are crap compared to what exists in race cars. You want safety then push the automakers to put five point harnesses and roll bars in every vehicle. You may well cut the annual death toll by 95% if everyone used them. Weight is a panacea. It makes you think you're safe when you're not.

Second and more importantly, the weight disparity between SUVs and lighter vehicles kills more of the people in the lighter vehicles than it saves in the SUVs. Think about that for a moment. The automakers are condoning murder under the false pretense of safety. In any other business the executives would be hauled off to jail for doing something like this. Besides being immoral it's also sociopathic. The mainstreaming of SUVs is one big reason I long ago lost what little respect I had for automakers.

There may be valid reasons to own an SUV for a very small minority of people just as there are good reasons for even heavier vehicles like buses and 18-wheelers to exist. However, they should have remained relegated to a niche vehicle but weren't thanks to clever advertising.

BTW, nothing said here should be taken as a personal insult to any SUV owners here. Fact is a lot of you were duped by the automakers so I can't blame you. They could have come out with any number of more sensible, more economical, less dangerous vehicles to do exactly what most SUVs do. They chose not to because the CAFE, emissions, and safety exemptions for SUVs gave them a larger profit margin. To make it even worse, they chose to use an inefficient boxy shape, probably because it's cheaper to make than something more streamlined.

As for the "it's my money, I can do what I want with it" line of reasoning, that's fine for things like flashlights that don't affect me personally but with gas guzzlers I breath the junk coming out of the exhaust plus they may be affecting our long-term climate. Push for either all-electric SUVs, and/or just ban them completely from large cities, and then I'll have no real objections.

Just a question for all you SUV owners-what will you do when gas hits $10 per gallon which it will within a decade thanks to dwindling supply and increased demand from countries like China (and likely $25 per gallon the following decade)? The 15,000 miles I quoted earlier will cost you $10,000 per year for fuel, assuming 15 mpg. Think about it for a while. The situation I mentioned is real. It won't go away with wishful thinking, nor will a bunch of dinosaurs suddenly die to give us more oil, nor will the government give SUV drivers gasoline subsidies. We are running out. 2005 is likely the year of peak oil production. We will never produce as much oil as was produced this year. That means the price will only go one way. Wasting it both drives up the present and long term prices which in turn increases the costs of goods across the board. Yet another hidden cost of owning a gas guzzler. I really can't single out SUVs as the only culprits here. Fact is most cars, especially those made by American automakers, get horrible efficiency compared to what's possible. For a yardstick 80 mpg is easily reached, up to 150 mpg is possible in a driveable vehicle, assuming we decide to stick with fossil-fuel engines. EVs offer the possibility of using no fossil fuel at all so IMHO they're a better alternative.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
J_Oei said:
Fortunately, this is the land of the free. Can we do away with all the "Why do you need to ..." threads? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dedhorse.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Not everyone here comes from the US. Also, maybe I'll start a few of these "Why do you?" threads myself. I can think of three great ones right off (but I admit all three are best suited for the Underground):

Why do people get married?
Why do people have children?
What do people see in religions?

I honestly can't fathom the reasons behind any of those three, especially the last two. I can at least imagine some reasons a person might have for owning an SUV, but I'm completely dumbfounded on the three things I mentioned above.

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Well, I personally do not drive an SUV. But to some it is a matter of it being practical. For example a friend of mine travels to teach both Karate and Tennis. He must provide and transport a sizeable amount of equipment. So, instead of stuffing it into a smaller size car, by having a larger vehicle he is able to fit in more gear and still have room left over for passengers. So, whereas it might not be ideal for everyone, myself included, for him it is a perfect fit.