Rec. for Pocket Flood that Uses AW's R123s

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rec. for Pocket Flood that Uses AW\'s R123s

I am a "2 light" hiker, generally. I'll use a small spill/flood to light the path, and a throw/spot to see what's running through yonder field. I'm pretty well equipped right now on the spots, but am casting around for a high quality, aluminum spill/ flood light that will work with 1 or 2 of AW's protected R123s. (See: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB10&Number=962058&fpart=1&PHPSESSID=).

A TW4 sounds great, but I definitely want a rechargeable solution, and my understanding is that Pilas are the only possibility there.

Would very much appreciate any alternate suggestions.

Thanks.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Rec. for Pocket Flood that Uses AW\'s R123s

A good way to determine whether a light's beam is wide enough is to count the number of illuminated rings in Quickbeam's beam shots. By this measure, the new 5W, 2xCR123A Likki Lite SL-13, with 11 rings, is a steal at about $47 from SZ Wholesale. However, I can't vouch for its ability to use rechargeables.

Only a few other lights have beams this wide AND this bright: the OMBU X-55 (Nuwai TM-301-5), the Nightcutter M60L, a 5W McLux with an Aleph 3 head, SureFire L4, and Surefire KL2 (19 LED) head.

See my thread, Why are So few 5W lights flood lights? in the General Flashlight Discussion forums. (My thanks to whoever elegantly edited my original, ungrammatical title!)

I don't know which of these models can take rechargeables, but they're definitely the brightest, widest little motherflooders out there!

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

I love the Q3 beam, I think it is nearly perfect. A new LED such as a TW0J, and converting it to direct drive would make one heck of a bright little pocket cannon.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you wanted a really high quality you could get an Aleph2 head with a NG750/TWOJ Light Engine and a 1x123 body and use that with the R123 very easilly and get about an hour of runtime out of it. And it will definately light up the area.

Shane

Spacemarine

Enlightened

The HDS EDCs with a strong diffusor are great little flood lights. By removing the diffusor you get a great spot/sidespill light. And the even work with UNprotected R123a, which makes them cheap to use.

seattlite

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
AFAustin said:
A TW4 sounds great, but I definitely want a rechargeable solution, and my understanding is that Pilas are the only possibility there.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have 2 TW4's(E1e body + KL4) both running on 1xRCR123 MP(unprotected) and Batterystation(protected) rechargeable batterries. BOTH KL4's also work perfectly in a 2x123 body using 1 Pila 168S. So, don't discount a TW4 as a solution.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ditto what seattlite said. My KL4 will run on a 168S, one R123, or even on a rechargeable CR2 using an Aleph CR2 body.

best regards