LED Power Consumption?

gary_roberston

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone! I am obviously a 'newbie', and I was sure hoping one of you could help me out, PLEASE???

I am a student working on a project for class. I need to utilize an LED light cluster to illuminate my project(I already have the cluster). I am trying to figure out power consumption. Can anyone help?

My LED cluster is 12v, and rated 180mA, 1.3 watt. I am trying to figure out how long they will run on the following gel cell batteries (assuming the battery is at 100% charge):

12v, 1.2 ah?
12v, 2.2 ah?
12v, 4.0 ah?

Thanks in advance for ANY help calculating this!

Sincerely,

Gary Robertson
[email protected]

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Gary,

In broad terms you can divide 1.2 Ah by .18 A and get an answer (in this case 6.6) in hours (the Amps parts cancel each other). The rub is the Ah rating of a battery is at a 20 hour rate, at faster rates, you get less capacity, in this case probably closer to 4 hours and a bit. The 4 Ah one, OTOH, will probably be quite close to the 22 hours this simple estimate will give.

Doug Owen

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
One other point, if you care about the battery, don't discharge it more than about half way. Even 'deep cycle' batteries loose a lot of life on even a few (severe) discharges. It can even prove fatal the first time. Under no conditions drain it below 11.0 Volts.

Doug Owen

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
"My LED cluster is 12v, and rated 180mA, 1.3 watt."

i am really bad at math, but your watts rating doesnt seem to add up to me. i get 2x as many watts from the ma and volt specs
so i put it into my calculator, and it still isnt saying the right thing.
so you might check that.