How to protect lens of KL4?

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do I have to use the HUGE factory thing or is there another viable solution? I'm currently running it behind a F04, but when I use the light, it gets taken off. (the TW4 gets placed in a pocket)

Size15's

Flashaholic
What do you need to protect it from? And Why?
I've carried SureFires for years and never felt the windows needed protecting...

Al

Size15's

Flashaholic
That hasn't been an issue for me - a bit of spit and the corner of my shirt cleans away the dust/dirt and the Pyrex window still looks great!

The sensitive coatings are on the inside face anyway...

Size15's

Flashaholic
My glasses are coated on both sides. On the front face at least they are coated with a scratch resistant coating.

Perhaps SureFire protect their more sensitive coatings with a scratch resistant coating too?

Doesn't change the fact I also clean my glasses with spit and the corner of my shirt!!

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Garageboy,

You might try this. Auto shops and online dealers sell something called XPEL or 3M polyurethane adhesive film for protecting automotive headlamps, paint, etc. It is clear, tough and sticks very well. Also, easily replaced. Try this and you won't be disappointed.

Works for lower powered incandescents as well.

Wilkey

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello, T'Erdelyi!
I hope that stuff is hard enough on the outside. I've dealt with camera lenses that scratched VERY easily, ESPECIALLY leica lenes

Robban

Enlightened
Comparing a camera lens to the lens of a flashlight constructed for rough use isn't much good me thinks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Al, do you let your lights dance with your keys in your pocket? I've been a bit too scared to do that to my L4 so far.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Yeah, quite often my flashlight it clipped inside the same pocket my keys are.

If I can not allow my EDC to become scratched, dinged, dented, dropped out of moving vehicles (happened last week) etc etc then it's not a real EDC flashlight for me.

Several SureFires I have such as the Purple A2 are collector's items and never carried.

Most of the SureFires I have are used as tools - all the better for "character marks"!

Al

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xrunner,

I'm not sure. It's polyurethane so I don't really expect it to be great above say 250F. Not from melting but from stress relaxation that might cause wrinkles.

Wilkey

glock_nor_cal

Enlightened
ive edc'd an L4 for quite a while and i've never scratched the lens. Just like Al said--wipe the lens on a shirt, good as new.

Robban

Enlightened
I don't care all that much about the body getting a few scratches but I'm a bit anal about lenses that's why I asked /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif