Refused service at a restaurant tonight

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
The title says it all. This tough-looking young waitress with spikey hair refused to wait on me while she fawned all over the other guests seated nearby, most of which had arrived well after I did. After waiting 30 minutes and not even getting a simple "hello," it was abundandly clear that there was some kind of an attitude problem going on so I stormed out of the place, but not before giving a piece of my mind to the startled greeters at the front door. I've just now shot off a note to their corporate office with all of the details.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Bradlee

Enlightened
Racial Prejudice? That's really strange and maddening. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif I hope something comes of that letter to their office.

-Brad

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
It wasn't racial... we're of the same race (caucasian). It must have been something else. She gave me a really strange look when she first came over, and that was the last time we ever made eye contact. I have a couple of theories but I'd rather not speculate publicly.

In the past I might have let something like this slip by, but ever since 9/11 I'm finding that I have a much lower tolerance for bull**it behavior. We'll see what I hear from their Corporate office on Monday.

BTW, no it wasn't Denny's.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Photon, obviously this girl already knew you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

lol, sorry, I think you're not allowed to post without speculating on your "theories" cause if you don't tell us, I think we're going to start making up our own...

You should have spoken to the manager at that store at the time and gotten an explanation!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
James S said:
Photon, obviously this girl already knew you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

lol, sorry, I think you're not allowed to post without speculating on your "theories" cause if you don't tell us, I think we're going to start making up our own...

You should have spoken to the manager at that store at the time and gotten an explanation!

[/ QUOTE ]

I wanted to but he was tied up with a long line of customers at the cash register at the moment, and by then I just wanted to get the hell out of there. I also didn't want to cause a scene near the other customers. It wouldn't have been fair to them.

I've never seen that woman before in my life; I think she was a new-hire there. I've been to that place many times before and I'd always had a pleasant experience prior to today. I suspect that this particular individual isn't well suited for the service industry... at least not on the front lines.

I don't get it. It's not like I was dressed poorly, or drooling, or had a string hanging out of my nose or anything.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Topper

Flashaholic*
tough-looking young waitress with spikey hair
There you go next time drool and you might get a table.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Topper said:
tough-looking young waitress with spikey hair
There you go next time drool and you might get a table.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif Thanks Topper, I needed a laugh tonight. Yeah, next time I'll bring the studded leather neckband...

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good thing you left, she would of likely spit in your food or screw up your order.

In my younger days it was common for food lion to close an isle as I was just up at the register. I would just walk off and shop another day. Nice knowing someone had a full cart to put back up. Also in the early days of walmart in the richmond area I use to hear the security calls overhead ratttling off zones for the cameras to monitor, I would pace the store hitting all departments and it was as if they are following me. Of course I hate it when folks start to crowd around you, so I will circle an isle and come back to the section i was looking at. I often thought many of those "shoppers" were undercover security people.

Being in a chair the past 9 years its hit or miss. I am white, however I wonder the way some treat me. Most men think I am a vet, younger women irgnore me while the older ones are more than willing to help or talk about their family. Police officers give me the usual drill of questions then tell me to have a nice day. Henrico cops do that a lot, RIchmond cops just say high.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
cobb said:
Good thing you left, she would of likely spit in your food or screw up your order.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what I was thinking also. Even if I managed to get her attention there's a good chance that I would've been given the "Chef's surprise" in my meal.

[ QUOTE ]

Being in a chair the past 9 years its hit or miss. I am white, however I wonder the way some treat me. Most men think I am a vet, younger women irgnore me while the older ones are more than willing to help or talk about their family. Police officers give me the usual drill of questions then tell me to have a nice day. Henrico cops do that a lot, RIchmond cops just say high.

[/ QUOTE ]

I spent a month in a chair once and it was an eye-opener for me. The biggest problem I had was that people would act as if I was invisible and would talk "around" me while engaged in a group conversation. Most aggravating, and it taught me a new respect for those who need to rely on wheels to get around.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did this incident happened at Denny ? What was her body language toward you?

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
thats what we all get when people tip when there is little to no tippable service.
course i tip them extra if they go away and dont bother me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
picard said:
Did this incident happened at Denny ? What was her body language toward you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, not Denny's but a smaller regional chain. Her body language was complete avoidance! No eye contact, never faced me directly, breezed right past me several times on her way to take care of customers sitting adjacent to me.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
sorry that happened pw.i hate eating out.im glad ya compaliend to head office i bet ya will at least get a free meal .

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Topper said:
PW glad I helped a little
I hope you get a chance to go back to speak to the manager when you and they are not to busy.
Topper

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks; I plan to stop back there once I've gotten the initial angst out of my system. I'd rather approach them with a cooler head. After all, the rest of the staff is pretty nice and generally strives to do a good job. This is just a single bad apple.