Bright flashlight saved mans life

oklalawman

Enlightened
I have been using onof Five Megas streamlight stinger adapters and ca1399 bulb for the last few months. I am really impressed with it's output and even throw. It's beam has a tight spot that has small wings, almost like a rifle scope, that run horizontal. Not big like I have seen on some lights but they are there.
The other night I got a domestic in progress call. When I get there, alone, (no backer available do to manpower shortages) the wife says her husband is hiding in the house.
She has a protective order to remove him from the house and he has been assaulting her, but not tonight. The house is a nightmare. It is in a low socio-economic area.Most of the rooms dont have doors on them but instead have quilts hanging over them. I cleared the house the first time but she swore he was still in there. I went back through and found a closet that I had missed (It had a blanket over it and I assumed, wrongly that it was a wall be hind it).
I have my five mega stinger in my hand and open the door. Standing inside is the huband. His body is bladed so I can not see his left side, he has something in his hand. The little stinger had him grimicing and looking away. Of course
the stinger was instantly joined by the streamlight m6 mounted on my Glock. I ordered him to let me see his hands
repetedly. He was trying to get his eyes to focus, but would not show me his hands. I finally told him he was about to get a large hols in his chest if he did not let me see his hands so he dropped what he had and showed me his hands. I got him outside. He was whining about how he couldnt see (most wife abusers are whiners in my opinion).
I notice the guy has a prosthetic leg. I get him secured and go back to look into the closet to see what he had in his hand. He had been holding his other leg. I asked him if
he was going to try to hit me with it and he would not anwser and was still whining about being blinded, how he was not doing anything, so forth. I am quite sure his plan was to hit me with that metal leg to get away, as his wife said he had ran from the police numerous times and has been violent. He never got a chance this day though. A pitchblack
closet to 350 lumens straight in the eye, never gave him a chance. No that I think about it, I guess he was trying to give me the boot instead of me booting him out of his house.

setherd

Newly Enlightened
nice work.

"low socio-economic area"???
can't you say "poor area" or does that **** off the tree huggers also?

LowWorm

Enlightened
I love stories like that...I need to show it to my husband - he gets a kick out of hearing other officers' stories. I totally think the flashlight is an officer's most underrated tool.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Nice story, oklalawman. Glad to see that it came to a peaceful resolution and that the "peacemaker" turned out to be a bright light.

Boltgun

Newly Enlightened
And hence the tactical value of a bright light is proven again....most fail to see that except most CPF'rs

Boltgun

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Oklalawman,

Most excellent! Thanks for sharing that experience.

And thanks to you (and all other people in law enforcement) that work hard to keep our neighborhoods safe, in spite of cut backs. With the high price of fuel, the next thing would be to have you park your vehicles and walk the beat...

If you are ever in my neighborhood, look me up. I'll buy you a cup of coffee (or something stronger if you prefer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ).

Tom

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
LowWorm,
I didn't realize we had any women in these forums. Got any sisters? Oh, wait--I'm married. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

oklalawman

Enlightened
Yes LowWorm I have for years spoke of that light os concealment, safety, everything for nightime officers. Back in the 80's I was one of the first to teach tactical lighting for cover (in fact some of my stuff was picked up and taught by the Street Survival Seminars). I would of given anything back then to have one of these new high powered lights. Back then the Streamlight sl20 and Magcharger ruled supreme. Back then I remember some officers ( I worked midnites) carried only a cheap plastic
light or a mini mag light and thought that was ok.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great story Okla,

Glad to hear it turned out alright.

Wilkey

glock_nor_cal

Enlightened
i would have waiting for backup if it had to come from another county, youre crazy:) im glad it turned out ok. stay safe.