what is a good survival pants ?

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is a really good survival pants? I wear arcteryx MX pants. It is made of cordura & lycra. It is quick drying, wicks away moisture, light weight,and wind resistant. I already post same question in survival forum. I am wondering if you guys wear these pants instead of jeans.

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends what you're trying to survive. Nothing beats good quality armored leather pants if you're motorcycling and want to survive the giant belt sander known as asphalt.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
What else are you looking for in survival pants... For example, when I am flying/traveling I wear natural fabrics (cotton, wool, etc.) because the chance of surviving a fire in a plane or hotel is much higher than if you have on synthetics that melt to your skin.

-Bill

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yah, I think that is a good point. Some of the issues are:

1) exposure
1.5) exposure - waterproof
2) protection / durability
3) fire

When exposure is the primary concern, light weight synthetics tend to win since they dry quickly.

If you are out in the rain, you'd like to have the rain stay out. This suggests Goretex or other water resistant materials.

Light weight synthetics that dry quickly tend not to take rough abuse well. If you are involved in rough activity, protection would be desirable. Consider Singray's comments about motorcycling.

Fire is another case. A lot of the synthetic materials that are good in other ways like the ones that dry quickly tend to work against you in fire as Bill indicates. Not only doesn't it protect you from the fire, they tend to melt and stick to you causing burns.

-john

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
A survival pants is suppose to help user to survive natural disaster or war where modern conveniences are destroyed. The pants suppose to keep user warm at night but it must be low maintenance.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
I beg to differ flownosaj. Wool is warm when it is dry. however it retains water when wet thus increase its weight. wool also tend to itch unless the pants is made from merino wool. The cost would be prohibitive. Wool is not abrasion resistant or wind reistant. With the advent of modern synthetic fabric, pants can be made of different types of breathle nylon such as cordura blend with lycra. Cordura is made by Dupont company. I used several different types of pants: wool, polyester & cotton ( army BDU pants),100%cotton, nylon & lycra. I have found the nylon & lycra provide the user with flexibility, tactical mobility, light weight, doesn't hold perspiration from skin, quick to dry, wicks away moisture, and low mainentaince.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
i donno, but i dislike wool and synthetics of any sort to begin with.
i would rather have a good pair of cotten (denim) jeans, but when you use the words survival Leather works well on the other animals.
leather to me is like a second skin, wet its a wet suit, to much sun and its insulation, to cold and its insulation.

if i was stuck with only 1 pair of something, it would be jeans or leather.

and if you think i am paying more than 50$ for a pair of pants with a cute complex name that is nothing more than a mix of plastic and organics, i would rather NOT survive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
ill just bring some long-johns rolled up, there is your real survival pants.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
picard said:
What is a really good survival pants? ...I am wondering if you guys wear these pants instead of jeans.

[/ QUOTE ]

picard--Sounds like you like synthetics, so stick with them or check out Ibex.com for some high tech wool. There have been a lot of improvements in wool.

As for me, I do a lot of camping and also have some fairly high tech gear and I love my synthetics. Light weight and easy-going. I also have used most of the Army's newest and finest and they're great too. I often use Ibex wool for biking and camping.

Also take into consideration of where and when you plan on using your "survival" clothing. I'm not going to wear 100% cotton ripstop BDU's in winter, nor will I wear a gortex suit in Arizona in July. Nothing will fill all the categories of the ideal, but if you want the best, expect to pay for it.

If I'm going to be out in the woods here in Colorado for a long time in the cold with only one kind of fabric, then I'm going to wear wool.

Dynacolt

Enlightened
Picard, from memory, wool actually warms up when wet. And there are Australian companies making denim-wool blend jeans that I figure would be warm, would have a good wear-resistance, and be somewhat resistant to fire.
I agree though, that it could get a little itchy, but I believe they are using merino wool.

Dave.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
picard said:
A survival pants is suppose to help user to survive natural disaster or war where modern conveniences are destroyed. The pants suppose to keep user warm at night but it must be low maintenance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, my point being that wool (does and did for years) all of the above.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
*disclaimer: the follwing is full of typos, but spell-checkers are for work/school and I just don't care*

Each fabric has it's own good/bad properties...

Synthetics
The good--depending on the material and techniques used in the fabric's processing, a synthetic fiber can be very strong, lightweight, have high insulative or cooling properties and be moisture wicking or water repellent.

The bad--No one piece of equipment will fill every role. I have Joe Rocket motorcycle gear that is highly abrasion resistant, but I wouldn't expect to get much use of it camping or hiking. In the same turn, I wouldn't expect much protection from my The North Face Denali jacket when speeding along at 70mph on two wheels.

The ugly--It's all about the threads and weave. Unless manufactured specifically, synthetics often have little beathability or wicking properties in and of themselves. The magic properties of synthetics are based on the type of material used to make the threads, how the threads are formed, shaped, and how they are arranged.

The same fibers in your fancy super-absorbant microfiber towel would not bode well in a Mountain Hardware rain jacket, but they are often made out of similar base components. For this reason, the quality and properties are often determined by the manufacturer and carefull attention to details are important. Cheap usually means junk.

Synthetics often break down under UV exposure and have a definite use-of-life. Most synthetics are flammable because they are usually oil based. Also, they are often more delicate than natural fibers.

High quality synthetic equipment is usually expensive.

Cotton
The good--Inexpensive, long/hard wearing, and naturally breathable. Makes excelent material for either riding a motorcycle, typing a report at work or entering into a contest featuring a t-shirt and getting wet (like running a marathon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ).
Cotton clothing can be found all over the world and often does not require special handling or care.
Also, I look good in Dockers and I don't get funny looks from the lady-types because I'm wearing my camping gear to work.

The bad--Just like synthetics, it's all about spinning, weaving and thickness. While thick materials like denim are abrasion resistant, others such as t-shirts are not as strong.

The ugly--Cotton has no insulative properties when wet. While the wind wicks the top layers of water away and cools your body temp, the moisture on the surface sits there and further acts to transport heat away from your body.

Fall into a stream on a chilly fall afternoon and a person would succumb to hypothermia very quickly. Outdoorsmen call it "killer cotton" for a reason.

Also, have you ever tried smacking someone with a wet pair of jeans--ouch!

Wool
The good--Wool has natural oils in the yarn that aid water-repellancy. The inherent hollow spaces in the yarn create dead spaces that make very effective insulation. With the insulation and the water-pepellant nature of wool, wool is very effective at keeping you warm, even if the material is wet.

Wool is naturally breathable and has moderate wicking properties. Depending on the weave, wool can also make a good buffer against the wind. The same wool jersey that keeps me cool on my afternoon bicycle ride keeps me warm in the evening after I've drenched it with sweat and the sun has already set.

Wool is fire resistant and does not degrade quickly. If taken care of properly, wool will last many years longer than synthetics.

The bad--again, it comes down to textile manufacturing. I'm not going to wear wool clothing made from the same bolt of wool cloth that was used make the wool blanket in the trunk. For this natural fiber, it's all about what breed of sheep and type of wool, where it's from, how it's spun and processed and the final goals of the manufacturer.

Many wools irritate the skin due to the sharp kinks, bends and ends. This is due to the type of wool and the processing. Finer wools are nearly "itch-free" but are more expensive (ie, cheap import knockoffs are just cheap knockoffs, same with the synthetics).

In colder climates, people wore wool for generations. Our armies wore wool uniforms into battle for years. The same wool that kept them warm in the cooler climates caused many problems in the south and tropics due to heat related injuries. Luckily finer yarns and modern textile techniques have made wool suitable for most climates.

The ugly--Depending on the type of wool, there is often certian precautions in handling it. Sometimes the material is wash and wear with cold water, but others may be more intensive in their care.

While tightly woven wool is somewhat abrasion resistant, it is not as good as denim or synthetics especially manufactured to be abrasion resistant.

Quality wool that has been properly spun and woven will be expensive, often as much as or more than the synthetic equivalent.

Silk
I have a few observations based on my silk baselayers.

The good--Silk is lightweight, very strong, breathable and wicks moisture. It feels very good on the skin and has good insulative/cooling properties.

The bad--There are many precautions in the care of silk. I have little knowledge of the abrasion resistance of silk but I am guessing that it would not make a great work uniform.

The ugly--It is very expensive.

Leather

The good: Highly abrasion, water and wind resistant, flame retardant, and looks cool.

The bad: Expensive and you need Astroglide to get into a pair of tight leather pants /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The ugly: No real insulative properties by itself.

So if you're venturing outdoors, we're left doing what every outdoor instructor has told us for years in moderate climates--dress in layers. Hopefully something trendy as you need style points to progress in this game.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
picard;
What constitues the difference between clothing and "survival clothing" is what you have on when disaster strikes. Just hope you are dressed appropriately.

Fire, flood, falling, freezing, baking or looking good for my performance review with the boss--what do I feel is my biggest problem today.

Survival for you may not be survival for me.

If you wear wool or all synthetics and suddenly find yourself out in the middle of nowhere in 5 feet of near freezing water--then you made a good choice. If you're wearing jeans and a t-shirt I hope that the paramedics are on their way.

If you're wearing all high tech synthetics and you're trying to get out of a fire after an accident--then I'd say you have a good chance of winding up in a burn unit getting skin grafts.

Like I said in a previous post, it's all in where you plan to use it and how much you're going to spend.

To me it sounds like you're concerned with terrorism, in which case explosions/fire/chemicals/abrasions are your biggest concern. Sounds like a good pair of Levis are fine for day to day walking around like most people in a city.

If you have other concerns or live out in the woods, base your decision on the above material properties. If you're planning on running out into the wilderness, then you have to decide on how long you're planning on being out there, what the climate and area are like, how much and what kind of activities you will be doing and then basing your decisions on your knowledge and background.

My biggest concern is cold, so I'm going to dress for the part. Someone in sunny Florida (AKA God's waiting room) might not have the same mindset.

Trauma Boy

Newly Enlightened
Bear Grylls craghopper pants. Apart from having the name Bear Grylls, pants are great. I have a summer pair and a winter lined pair. Stretch panels are clever and material Ok fast drying. If you don't care about the naming it's my input. 5.11 tac lite pros are also a consideration, but heavier than the craghoppers.

Philip2

Newly Enlightened
In the heat you will not die easily without proper clothing. But if you plan to sleep in freezing conditions in a "debri shelter", with just a "survival kit" or bug-out-bag equipment, I would suggest "arctic clothing" with very thick insulation. That can be an "arctic salopette" with a separate "arctic parka", or an "arctic suit".

Both need special heat isolating underwear, which can be bought in ski shops, outdoor shops, angling shops, army surplus stores, and shops for construction workers.

Synthetic fibers are flammable, but will dry so much faster than down. Search in Google-images for: "arctic suit", "winter survival", etc.

Jeans will offer little insulation in freezing temperatures, unless you can make a fire and lean-to-shelter. But don't cause a wildfire.

Don't forget clothing that protects you from the rain.

These tips can also be useful for homeless people.

Driving a motorcycle (as mentioned above) requires total different kind of protection than sleeping in frost.

Last edited:

pblanch

Enlightened
If you want to walk any distance I think leather pants are going to be a problem. An old camping saying is "Rotten cotton" It just doesn't hold up as well and as a previous poster has mentioned that wet cotton sucks the heat out of you. Wool retains some measure of heat and is great in winter but even thinner wool in summer is still not as cool as cotton (and doesn't stink). Synthetics don't hold any heat (unless its as an insulation layer) but they do dry quicker. There is no one cloth fits all scenarios.

I have some 5.11 Pro lite pants. In Australia Pilbara (50C+) region they hold up a lot cooler that cotton pants and I frequently get around fires (fire training). Although I wouldn't be running through a fire with them on, they don't just spontaneously combust either. They dry in an hour (if that) and they keep me warm in winter (it can get chilli there but not -50 type cold) In those chilli mornings/nights I wear some Icebreaker thermal pants underneath and are more than fine.

Sorry to add to an old thread but I too like reading old posts. And generally have some great info on them.

Lun@ticFringe

Newly Enlightened
5.11 Stryke pants...hands down the best pants I have ever owned. They look good have a great fit and I can move like I am wearing sweat pants. The best part are the pockets, the front pockets have a reinforced flat section on their edge which is perfect for clipping a knife or flashlight along with two smaller pockets on the thigh which are also good for clipping similar items. The cargo pockets have one large as well as two smaller pockets which are designed to hold rifle magazines but work really well for holding flashlights which are a bit to large for normal pocket carry. I just bought my first two pair at the beginning of the month but will definatly be buying a couple more pair come payday.

pblanch

Enlightened
I have some Stryke pants as well. I can only wear them in the Australian (Perth) winter as they are HOT and don't breathe as much (at all).

They do fit really well but they run shorter (length) that the same size as the Pro-lites. Depending on your local climate they may suit you.