What would you use?

gary_roberston

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone. I am obviously new to the forums, but I love what I am reading! What a wealth of knowledge and support!

Quick question on another (final) school project I am trying to figure out...let's say you wanted to build the brightest headlamp possible, in an inexpensive way, utilizing LED's as the light source (with a reflector). I would want my battery(s) to be able to sustain the LED's for 3-hours before I needed a recharge (if using gel cell). Or, if using standard over-the counter (throw away) batteries, I would still like the same 3-hour charge.

Which direction would you tend to go? LED choice, battery choice? BTW, I wasn't sure which section to post this question in, so if it needs to be somewhere else, my apologies. I look forward to your responses! Any answers would be a great help, since I need to start my construction ASAP.

Sincerely,

Gary Robertson

Thunder

Newly Enlightened
brightness will be measured by meter.
As you want to build a headlamp...well how many led you use? using 1 AA 1400 mAh you can make the LED work for at less 4hrs.<--1 W LED

gary_roberston

Newly Enlightened
White light is preferred, and no real measuring scale will be used other than by eyeball. I need the brightest light possible, on a limited budget. In other words, how can I best light up an area about 6-8 feet in front of me, with a swath of light maybe 6-8' wide? For the least amount of money. Knowing a VERY limited amount about LED's, I was thinking about perhaps an LED cluster which bounces off of a chrome reflector, similar to a fog light on a vehicle, for lack of a better example.

ANY IDEAS are encouraged, and I can't thank you all enough for trying to help me out. This is one great forum! I look forward to your help!

Thanks-a-million.

Gary Robertson

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Sounds like you want a floodlight type output. I would suggest something like 12 5mm white LEDs or more.

I made a 12 LED headlamp by modding a cheap $4 headlamp with a boost circuit and 12 26kmcd LEDs. It is pretty bright for about 3 hours. I modded the original reflector to catch some sidespill but LED sidespill doesn't amount to a whole lot. If you use 5mm LEDs I wouldn't bother with a reverse bouncing reflector and engineering one properly for a luxeon will be time consuming and possibly costly and require extra space and weight in a headlamp.

12 LED headlamp mod

gary_roberston

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info, Lynx! Great stuff, indeed! Does anyone else have a recommendation to add? Anyone?

Thanks!

Gary

Thunder

Newly Enlightened
USE China LED you will be able to make it super CHEAP!!!In USA you wont get that cheap :p

find one that with small angel veiw to make better pattern
another choice is to use Nichia's LED <-- one of the best LED
[ QUOTE ]

The 26kmcd LEDs don't make a beautiful pattern but it is still rather bright and very useful and appears to be a good battery drainer.

[/ QUOTE ]