what do you use your Eternalight for?

triedntrue

Newly Enlightened
It seems like nearly everyone has one, and they seem cool in a "neat gadget to have" way, but what exactly do you *do* with it?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I use my EliteMax as an emergency light tool in my car. It has a magnet to stick it everywhere on the car, it uses Lithium batteries, is bright enough, can swim and tailstand and is rugged.
I wouldn't use it for EDC because of the rather complicated interface and lack of protection of the 3 buttons as well as size.
bernie

hsjrev

Newly Enlightened
It stays stuck on the fridge mostly so I can grab it on the way out the door to walk the dog or whatever, and I have packed it in my PFD pocket on kayaking trips.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
So far mine is in a zippered pocket in my backpack that goes with me when I travel. It is my light for an extended time period if Im stuck somewhere without power, etc. for a long time.

Walt

Newly Enlightened
I keep two Eternalights in our family's "grab-n-go" or bug-out kits. They stay safe in their own padded small camera cases, and with lithiums I know I can count on them to be ready when needed.

I chose them for this critical role due to their quality and versatility. About the only thing I added in the light department were some Surefires for "reach" and Photons for their REALLY dim led capability like those found in the Photon 3 and Freedom models.

We also have several Eternalights on various nightstands and such. We like the internal "nightlight" feature on the X-Ray's and they replaced PAL lights in that role.

I wouldn't want an Eternalight placed in everday hard usage due to the exposed LED's and softer switch arrangement.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I pretty much fall into Walt's comments & thoughts on the eternaLights. I've got one on my nightstand that I use every night.

At least one goes with me and/or family anytime we go traveling. It's a GREAT camping/hotel light!

I've got a Raven, an Ergo 3 with red/white option, and an Ergo 3 with green/white option that I use for "attention getters" (Ever been in a traffic jam at an event in the parking lot and absolutely can't get into the flow of traffic? Makes for a GREAT ATTENTION GETTER {Dazzle Mode} to use to "stop the flow of traffic" and get your vehicle "in the stream" - yeah, perhaps a little "gutsy" but it works.)

Oh and these are great for getting the traffic's attention in case of an accident or directing traffic around a "scene". Flares are great - but you have to keep lighting them and you have to watch where the "flaming ashes" are falling when waving a flare.

Great to have one by the door in case you need to signal to emergency vehicles so they can find your house.

Oh I can go on and on, but actually the nightstand eternaLight gets the most use.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Camping. It hangs from the tent ceiling for night-light duty. My camping buddies have even halfway learned to operate it.

I'd use it in a power outage.

Battery life seems less than expected though.

StevieRay

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Sigman said:
I've got a Raven, an Ergo 3 with red/white option, and an Ergo 3 with green/white option that I use for "attention getters" (Ever been in a traffic jam at an event in the parking lot and absolutely can't get into the flow of traffic? Makes for a GREAT ATTENTION GETTER {Dazzle Mode} to use to "stop the flow of traffic" and get your vehicle "in the stream" - yeah, perhaps a little "gutsy" but it works.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigman, This reminds me of the time I was on the interstate and a trucker would not move out of the left lane so that I could legally pass. After about 30 minutes of increasing frustration, I pulled out my Raven /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif and set it in the alternating red and blue mode. That dude moved over quick! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I know that this is illegal and I don't condone anyone using the Raven for this purpose, however, it sure did feel great when he moved over.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one in my emergeny pack for hiking, one in the car for finding the junk I drop onto my not so clean floor one I take on business trips and finally one more in my office. They are rugged, many waterproof, have rather simply-accessed but useful features including an SOS, dimming and a strobe--good for attracting attention. The batteries are accessible virtually anywhere and the lights themselves cost me around $60-$65 each. If I lose one, I won't have a heart attack--something I fear if I lost one of my other limited production collection lights. Last of all, it reminds me of some kind of star wars phazer--hot damn, what a toy! It is NOT my EDC though.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

sotyakr

Enlightened
The EliteMax has been perfect as a "nightstand" light since it can be set to start up at any level setting, reducing fried retinas in the middle of the night. Also have a Derringer for similar use. The EliteMax also gets tucked into the pocket in my PFD when I go kayaking. Although I usually don't find myself out on the water after dark, it's nice to know it's there - just in case... It's also been handy for camping and general travel use. And a Model 3 is kept in the car. Of course, they've also been nice to have during the (fortunately) rare evening power failure.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my EternaLight Ergo Xray whenever I travel, go camping, or have a bonfire in the back yard. Before I set foot out the door, I turn on the internal LED so it's easy to find whether in my bag, or if it's laying on the ground.

It's definitely bright enough for every situation that doesn't require massive throw, and the runtime is outstanding, especially when you dial it down a couple settings.

I also use it for general purpose uses. It's handy to guage other lights against it, like "this other light is as bright as an Eternalight on 4th highest setting", or something.

And of course it's just the coolest light in my collection, with all it's features, hands down. I love showing it off. Everyone thinks it's cool.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine got extensive use the other night during a power failure (thanks Cindy). It was more then adequate for traversing around the house and made a fine area lamp when stood on it's tail and I even dimmed it down a couple of steps. It is my travel suitcase light as well. I'm going to mod it with some of the new Nichia CS LEDs. The are many instances when wide subdued area lighting is preferred over mega lumen devices.

DaveT

Enlightened
I have one in my car glovebox, and the others for around the house. Although I have a PALight I use as a nightlight (had it first, got used to it), when I had guests staying with us I set out the PAL and 2 Eternalights on low as nightlights/showing obstructions (step over the baby gate). They worked great for that.
Dave

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The EliteMax does duty for me as a bedstand and travel light. Nightlight, reading light, general illumination, fun in the hotel jacuzzi (it floats; while the bubbles kick it around the surface, the dazzle effect is quite entertaining), search in bags while aboard darkened aircraft, attention-getter while doing display/expo work (usually the reason I travel). The find me feature is great while traveling. I'm about to trade the stock leds for the new double-bright Nichias.

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
geepondy said:
The are many instances when wide subdued area lighting is preferred over mega lumen devices.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

In fact I modded one of my Derringers with one of the Nichia 180 degree LEDs between the red and one of the white LEDs. It just fits in a filed out notch. A small slide switch (which you can reach with a finger tip though the battery hatch) selects between the factory red and my wide angle LED.

Neat for lighting up the room as a nightlight. Otherwise it's right here at the computer, ready for quick 'look in the corner' duty.

Doug Owen

SilverFox

Flashaholic
The EternaLight is a great light.

I use mine in situations where there is little ambient light. When preparing for a camping trip, it is the first light that goes in my pack.

I am also upset that the run time is less than the 2800 hours advertised, but after using it during several 8 day camping trips, I have never had to change batteries on a trip. That's good enough for me...

Tom

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Elitemax resides on my fridge, where it is often grabbed to poke around the house (I even used it do do some plumbing under the sink). Plus, kids love to play with it.

Hey...where can one get these new Nichias? I would love to "upgrade" my Eternalight, and maybe a few others.

Bob

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
One on my nightstand another on my daughter's. The come with for any outdoor activity that may require flexible light output, long use or signalling. Sailing, camping, etc. Not an EDC but good for so many other things.

Geologist

Enlightened
I have a total of 5 ELs, all three Elite Models, the RAVN2, and the Derringer.

For everynight "around the house at night duty", I trade off between the MAX and the Derringer with AAA NiMh (tip of the day). I like the Max's dimmer memory and the "nightlight feature", but I like the easy battery change on the Derringer and it produces more than enough light.

The Elite Marine normally stays (via the magnet) at a central location always ready for "whatever" even my wife uses it now.

The XRAY is the light that goes in whatever vehicle I am in.

The RAVN2... well.... errr.... well there is a little kid in all of us isn't there?

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Ergo3 does nightstand duty mostly, except when I go camping, it becomes the 'at and around' campsite light. I also use it on dim as a nightlight for when visitors sleep over in the guest room.