What are some good 'C' cell lights?

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are some good \'C\' cell lights?

I'm clearing out a lot of my stuff and I just realized the only 'C' cell light I currently have is a 2C cheapie. I've got a few lights for all the other basic sizes, but not for the 'C'. What are some of the good C cell lights out there that I should take a look at. Sometimes C cells are the only thing left on the shelf, I want to be able to use them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
Re: What are some good \'C\' cell lights?

Streamlight just released the 3C Luxeon. I think BrightGuy has it for sale.

There is also the Tri Star Phazer from Elektrolumens, I remember he said that he would be doing another run of them.

And the LED-Beam 3C.

I'm sure there's more...

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Streamlight Twintask 3C is a great C-cell light. Really long runtime on low and medium LED settings with good flood and a decent incandecent beam when you need throw and more brightness. It's built pretty solid and looks good too.

It's one of my main "hurricane lights" because of it's long runtime and the fact, like you said, that when the s$%t hits the fan, there are usually C cells still left on the shelves when everything else is gone.

And....it's inexpensive at under 30 bucks usually.

Topper

Flashaholic*

I agree with the Tri Star Phazer from Elektrolumens as well as the Streamlight Twintask 3C I would think that the SL 3C Luxeon would be but I do not have one to say. Oh do not forget to check the cells often I ruined my Twintask with leaky cells. I keep plenty of 123 lights close by and new C cells by my TSP but not in it just in case, I also have a 6 cell C Maglight long in tooth and a little heavy after a while . Know doubt there are lots more I just do not have them.
Topper

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast

Top to Bottom, ALX-233C, 3C, 3 Brightness Levels. 3rd Shift Magmod 3C., Elektolumens Tri-Star Phazer 4C., Ledbeam 3C.

dsc007926nf.jpg

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast

I prefer Pelican supersabre 3C light. It is waterproof, rated for hazard duty, and it has long throw. It is used by search & rescue personnel at sea.

dim

Enlightened

ernsanada -

What are your impressions of the ALX-233C? - Brightness, throw, flood, levels etc... Have you had the opportunity to compare it to the TT3C or comparable 2Ls? Does it cycle from low to hi or hi to low? Beam shots are always appreciated.

dim

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast

2 current favorites:

1) EL FT-3C I lucked into recently on B/S/T;

2) a 3C Mag, with a Magnum Star bulb ($3 at Brightguy).

I power each with AA NimHs, via a PVC tube that holds them together, and I really like their incredible bang-for-the-buck.

Tried this duo last night at our ranch, and was impressed. The FT-3C lights up a field with a great combination of throw and spill. When I wanted to pinpoint a faraway object, the Mag, focused tightly, was great---out-throws my Strion by a decent margin---for about $27! (And...small enough to carry in my back pocket).

RIP

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Former_Mag_User said:
Streamlight just released the 3C Luxeon. I think BrightGuy has it for sale.

[/ QUOTE ]

The SteamLight 3C Luxeon is a VERY BRIGHT light with a tight spot and good spill. Its everything the 4AA is and more. I have not seen any official review on it yet but I would expect 5 hours or more (regulated) at full intensity followed by several more hours of diminishing light. I pointed it at the neighbors garage about 100 yards away and it lights it up real nice.

I bought it from brightGuy about two weeks ago.

I HIGHLY recommend this light in 3C & 4AA (I have both). VERY impressive and a GREAT price.

The_virus

Enlightened

The new Lumaray lights (FL6 and FL12) are neat looking, and judging by the reviews are real performers as well.

A Lightwave Pro 3000 is highly recommended for long runtime (700 hours until newsprint is unreadable).

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast

pelican's super sabrelite is quite good ya know, you can play laser show with it if the weather is humid and it is dark enough :p

and ya, good throw from it,good brightness too but then...i have to hide it from my father :p spended my savings on flashlights.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast

Also check out the Xtreme Lite ALX-654C, a long regulated 4C job with 3 power levels.

I'll tell you what I DON'T recommend: Streamlight Propolymer 3C LED. The beam from its 10 LEDs have been overtaken by cheaper, smaller, brighter Chinese multi-LED lights.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

I'm rather fond of my SL 3CXP/LED...

The LEDs and Xenon are one individual switches, a reverse clickie for the LEDs with a momentary clickie for the Xenon. As a walking light you can have the LEDs lit and a thumb at the ready for the Xenon.

I've had the Propolymer 3C LED for some time. I can't just go buying every Chinese light that comes along, and I don't dislike the PP except for twist to stay on. It and the 4AA are still quite vital.

I also give thumbs up to Twin Task 3C, though I like the 3CXP/LED switching SO much better!

And evryone should have a M*g 2C with 3x123 and a hot bulb as a matter of course!

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dim,

Beamshot of ALX-233C

dsc005554zr.jpg

Beamshot of Ledbeam 3C

dsc004302cr.jpg

The Ledbeam has more throw than the ALX-233C. The beam has a more whiter tint than the ALX.

The ALX-233C switch is very smooth. Goes from 100%, to 50%, to 25%. Hold the switch down, light flashes.

The ALX-233c comes with a flashlight holster. Ledbeam no holster.

The fit and finish on the ALX-233C is excellent.

For the price you can't beat the Ledbeam.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast

Elektrolumens Tri-Star Phazer

dsc007933nt.jpg

The Magmod built by 3rd Shift has the longest throw of any light I own. (Magmod 3C Beamshot)

dsc007944ix.jpg

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast

For ultimate throw you can go for a direct driven lux III on a C sized hotlips installed in a 3C mag. Lotsa lux on that one. You can also get the LEDbeam 3C, which is similar to the DD mag, the elektrolumens FT3C, and the Tristar phazer.

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow, I didn't except this many replies. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I've got a lot of reading to do to figure out half these lights. I noticed that almost every light listed is uses three cells. Is there a reason for that? Are all of these lights direct drive?

Ersanada, would you happen to know how the beam of the AL-233C compares to the SL 3CXP/LED and the SL TT 3C? What's the build quality of the AL233C? How water resistant is it?

Anyone have a beam shot of the Pelican Sabrelight 3C?

How much punishment can some of these lights take?

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast

3 cell lights is compromise in weight and performance. 4 cells are too heavy, cummbersome.
Scuba dive must have a laser beam to punch through all the debris in the water. It must have pressure relief valve. Pelican lights have pressure relief valve. One important aspect of Pelican is that it has some kind of metallic cube to absorbs any sudden surge in battery that might fry the bulb. That's why I favor Pelican if you have to go into water environment.

Vortex

Newly Enlightened

Get a 3C maglite and mod it with a Lux III or buy a modded one here. It will focus to a really tight spot. I have a Tristar Phazer. Here is a good review with detailed pics comparing a Tri star Vs. Lumapro and a Lux III modded maglite: Click ME

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast

My favorite would have to be the EL FT-3C, sometimes found on BST Lights forum.