Is this LED lantern any good? UPDATED

PrimiToad

Newly Enlightened
7258487_640.jpg

Thanks for your responses.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Is this LED lantern any good?

Check here and here for discussion of the Innovage Outdoor Power Lantern.

There are also some other LED lantern threads here and here.

-john

DaveT

Enlightened

Boscovs.com is the only place I know that regularly carries these (I saw them in their store one time).
You can get them there for $9.97, which in my opinion is a screaming deal.
Even with shipping and handling (not sure how much they charge), a very good value.
Dave

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

I guess it depends on what you want to do with it. Yes please do check out the other threads on this one.

Mine's pretty much used exclusively for power outages. I'm not out beating it around camp - so it doesn't see that type use. It sits on a shelf "on standby"!

83Venture

Enlightened

I have two I got at Boscoves. Last time I went camping my daughter dropped it about two feet onto the grass - dosen't work anymore. Nice ability to dial up/down any level of light but pretty fragile. Also make sure it works if you get any, one of the two I got didn't.

DaveT

Enlightened

Yep, definitely check that they work before you leave the store, if you buy it in person. I bought several to get to friends - one didn't work when I returned home. These are not very tough, but as Sigman said, if they're kept for blackouts/etc and used in the home, they should work well (my opinion).
Dave

flashlite

Enlightened

NO! This lantern is not any good. I just noticed the other day that two of the LED's were not working. Figuring there was a bad connection somewhere, I took the whole thing apart. Once I got to the "post" that the LED's are mounted on, I connected the battery pack to see if I could find a loose connection by jiggling some things. That's when I noticed that the whole post was getting really hot...almost too hot to touch. Slowly, some of the other LED's started to flicker and burn out.

It's not worth the $10. I also noticed that overall construction is very poor. I guess I can at least salvage some LED's and the potentometer for some other projects. I can't figure out why it was getting so hot. Was it a bad potentiometer? Can you overdrive 12 LED's with 6 volts?

Oh, and there was no literature inside the box and there is no contact information on the Innovage web site.