Not a light, Multi-Wavelength Optical Tool

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I sold and commissioned enough stuff to pay the extra bills and finish my current project. Like the subject line was going to say 'It's not just a flashlight, It's a Multi-Wavelength Optical Tool' just refered to MWOT from now on. I have found that different colors serve different purposes, especially when camping. I used to carry several different small lights with different emitters, then I finished this.
mwot25ol.jpg

It is a 2D mag with a uFLEX driver and a 8AA to 2D adaptor. Installed in the business end is a QUAD sink (from the shoppe), 4 20mm IMS reflectors, and 4 emitters. (TV1J white, cyan, royal blue (all LUX III) and a R/O G2H)
mwot15wm.jpg

These are controlled in brightness by the stock pushbutton, and color is selected by the 5 position rotary switch. there is a white selection at either end.
mwot31tw.jpg

The 20mm IMS reflectors throw very nice with good sidespill. A 2D m@g reflector will thr farther, but the IMS throw better then Faren optics, so somewhere in the middle.
I just took my 3 boys (10,7,2 1/2) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif camping a few days ago and was able to field test the MWOT. The white light was gread for walking around the campsite and rooting around in the tent durring the early evening.
mwot46uy.jpg

The R/O even though MAX drive is 1000mA is BRIGHT. Besides, I had to isolate the emitter with a small piece of material from a transistor heatsink, so a bit underdriven is good. This one was GREAT at low levels for walking around after my eyes were adjusted to the dark, and it didnt seem to spook the wildlife on high levels.
mwot59gp.jpg

The green/cyan really light up the folliage, even at low levels, and great for spotting the kids in the dark at a distance.
mwot64me.jpg

And the RB, well.... it just looks cool. I imagine it could scare away racoons and such, and be used to track fishing line.
mwot78ep.jpg

I tried all the colors in a field and was able to flood the trees about 150-200 yds away, even with the R/O.

I really like this Light, oops, tool. Granted it may be a bit bigger, but with 8 brightness levels and 4 colors, it replaces 3 or 4 smaller carries.

Jeff

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Hi, Jeff.

Cool mod, variable light level with different colors. It is like carrying different colored ARC AAA or photon III, except this is much bigger and throw much further. Awesome to...ol. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
A very nice idea! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernie

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
fantastic... the whole time i was reading i was like 'how the heck are you changing levels if there is only one knob.. and it dawned on me nFlex... since only running one at a time. That is a fantastsic four.

-awr

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cool.

Is your switch make-before-break, or does the uFlex
not care if it is run without a lot (for a few milliseconds), or do you only change colours while it
is off?

Thanks - Greg

jtice

Flashaholic
REALLY cool!

How is the nflex dealing with the no load situation when you flip between leds?
I would assume there is a breif time when there is no led connected.

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
That was my question too. A make-before-break
switch connects the new contact before breaking contact
on the old one. A break-before-make switch will have
a momement where no load is connected.

Greg

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
that's a good question.. you'd def. want a make before break switch if you wanted to switch while it's on.. that is such a nice idea.. especially with the nFlex for dimming.. which i had more than the 25hrs/day i'm already using /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-awr

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was concerned about thet at the beginning. But the switch IS make before break. you can actually turn on two at a time if you turn it slow enough.
Jeff

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
that's good.. with nFlex driving the constant current you'll just run them 1/2 power (ish) when switching.. that would be really neat to see it go through the colors from the front while it's on!

-awr

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
you would think so. position 1 is white, position 2 is red/orange. With the lower Vf the red takes all the power. Position 3 is green, and still the red takes all the power. position 4 is blue, at this point I can get the green abd the blue to both light up. And position 5 is white again, and here also I can get the blue and white to both go on.

My other projuct finally found a perminant home.. This one is a PROLIGHT RGB 3W LED controlled from a circuit from a 'SAUCE' wand with transistors to give it full current. This is now in a 2C m@g. Nice feel and controll from the modded pushbutton. Only real problem is the 3 focal points, but Hey, it looks really cool, kinda throws, and if you take the head off, it makes a nice wall of changing light. I'll try to post pics soon on this one.

Jeff