Fenix Outfitters        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rechargeable A2?

Default Re: Rechargeable A2?

Another data point on the A2: Even if the bulb is dead, you still need to leave it in place for the LED's to lit at all - I know first hand since during some experiements I killed my A2 bulb and tried to run the LED's without it

EDIT: Comment above seems to only apply to my own A2 as several others have tried and their A2's work fine with no bulb in place.

As to modifying A2's for the resistor/LED swap, I might consider doing this for others in the future, but I currently have no time for doing my own projects . Here is the original thread by AuroraLite that showed me how to do the change:
    Dummy reference guide to SF A2 modding with MJ led (or 35k 5mm) leds

Will
    Last edited by wquiles; 11-13-2005 at 09:05 AM.
    Please no PM/Visitor Msg's. Email for questions/Paypal: wquiles [at] gmail {dot} com

Quote Originally Posted by wquiles
    Another data point on the A2: Even if the bulb is dead, you still need to leave it in place for the LED's to lit at all - I know first hand since during some experiements I killed my A2 bulb and tried to run the LED's without it
    Now that is strange, both of my A2 run without the bulb inserted!
    I had to tighten the bezel a little more as usual, but it worked.

On the other hand, why do you want to remove the dead bulb without having a new one to swap?

Quote Originally Posted by pyro
    Now that is strange, both of my A2 run without the bulb inserted!
    I had to tighten the bezel a little more as usual, but it worked.
    I tried it once again and my A2 will not fire its LED's without the bulb in place. Maybe a tolerance issue with my unit?

Quote Originally Posted by pyro
    On the other hand, why do you want to remove the dead bulb without having a new one to swap?
    It took my a week to get a replacement A2 bulb, so in the meantime I tried it and found it would not lit. I put the dead A2 bulb back and the LED's worked again

Will
    Please no PM/Visitor Msg's. Email for questions/Paypal: wquiles [at] gmail {dot} com

Silver Moderator

Hello Will,

I just took the lamp out of my A2 and the LED's came on without any problems...

Tom
    Behind every Great man there's always a woman rolling her eyes...

Most batteries don't die - they are tortured to near death, then murdered...

I tried it again just now and the LED's don't come ON without a bulb. Must be a slight tolerance problem in my particular unit

No worries on my side since even if it dies, I will simply leave the dead bulb in place while I put in a replacement.

Good to know that most other A2's work fine without the bulb in place

Will

Flashaholic

For those people that couldn't fit the MP700s into their A2s,i have a solution.

Peel off the wrapper of the battery and try putting the cell into the A2. If it fits,re wrap it using tape.Any thin wide cellophane tape will do.Take out the black disc covering the positive terminal and start wrapping. Make sure you wrap so that the tape covers every part of the battery walls as the whole 'can' is the negative terminal! So make sure the sides are not exposed. Another thing is you have to cut just the right amount of length of tape to wrap the battery as the overlapping tape will increase the diameter on that particular part of the battery,and may get stuck when you try to put it into the A2 afterwards. Lastly, replace the small black disc on top of the battery and you're set.

My MPs fit nicely after rewrapping them so i hope your MPs will too!
    Regards,

Brian

Flashaholic

Guys, after using the LEDs for a while with MPs each led developed a different tint.One remained white,one developed a warm, slightly yellowish tint and one had a green tint! I thought of changing the LEDs so I've opened up the head and took the LED ring out to have a look and i discovered that the soldering is way beyond my skill to change those LEDs.Anyone had their LEDs' tints change before?
    Regards,

Brian

Brian,

I don't have experience on a tint change, but given that I found (link) that the MP700's really overdrive the LED's, I am not surpriced to hear this strange behavior change. If you can, I would investigate putting new LED's AND also increasing the resistor values to something in the 90-110 ohm range.

Will

Flashaholic

wquiles,

I really wanted to change thoes LEDs but i simply don't have the kind of skill or confidence in doing it myself.I'm worried that i might really ruin the ring if i do it.Can anyone help me change the LEDs? The tint appeared after just 1 hour of reading in the dark.Should i remove the ring now to avoid further tint change until i have sucessfully changed the LEDs?
    Regards,

Brian

Since the LED's are already changing tint, just leave them there. They might get worst or simply die, but since you are going to eventually change them, I would not worry too much about it.

Try to find somebody local to help you with the swap. Maybe somebody at an electronics/computer repair shop might be able to do the swap for a small fee.

Will

BrianChan,
    Sorry to hear about the tint shift in your LEDs. Were you running them in LED mode right off the charger? I usually hit the high mode for a few seconds to take the edge off of freshly charged cells. I have green LEDs though, I'm sure color shift is more obvious with white.
    Light is sweet and pleasing to the eyes....

Flashaholic

Guess I'll just leave them in the light until it dies.Yes i run them right off the charger a few times.Maybe that's why the tint changes due to the high current.The tint pretty much stays the same now.It's not that bad,i'll have to look into the LEDs to notice the tint.For shining on the pages of a book it's still perfectly fine for reading.

Guess i'm the first person in CPF with an A2's LED change tint.
    Regards,

Brian

I sanded my white LEDs to get rid of the angry blue in the beam. It takes away a little of the throw, but it makes such a smooth diffused beam. I've done it to my red and green A2s especially to get rid of the ringy beam. Maybe that would help a little with the color shift?

Flashaholic

Leukos,

Thanks for the tip! I'll try it out tonight.The tint might not be so obvious anymore.
    Regards,

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by BrianChan
    Hi leukos and wquiles,

Thanks for the info.I'm the same as leukos,no soldering skills to do the mod but i really wish to do so because i really like the A2 + rechargeable combo,i'll really hate it if the LEDs are fried. Wquiles,can the A2 run without the LED ring? I was wondering if you can do the mod you did to your LED ring for me?I'll pay any costs related to the mod including return postage.I'll send the ring to you,and PP you the funds.What do you think?
    Howdy! I'm just joining the Surefire bandwagon and had to chime in with pics of the A2 working w/o the led ring. I'll be doing the rechargables soon so I'll be sure to present a pictorial how-to for putting on the ~90ohm resistors on the led ring.

Last edited by Arkayne; 12-08-2005 at 03:23 AM.

Flashaholic

Luekos,

PM sent.

Bumping this thread as I have a question about running RCR123's, I use Powerizer 3.7-4.2 volt batteries. My A2 has red leds in ring, and each resister is marked 1000. Is it ok to run these with RCR123's.

Also, I noticed when I took out leds that the circuit was open when I did not turn tailcap switch all the way out to lockout. I measured voltage and got a reading from front of circuit. I got no voltage reading when I turned the switch out to lock out position, or close approximation to lock out position, I found this out when I noticed that my batteries were being depleated just sitting there, main light off, but switch just turned so that main light was off. I took reading of my batteries overtime and sure enough they were being depleated. They were not being drawn down when I turned switch to lockout position. I think this condition is sort of what mahoney was talking about earlier in this thread. The resistor in the tailcap is not matched to the voltage output of the LiIon's.

Bill

Bullzeyebill,

If you use Li-ions in your A2 unmodified, you will overdrive your LEDs. As far as it being ok, that may need to be qualified. BrianChan had a vf shift with his white LEDs. TMK, no one using Li-ions has reported a failure. I have hundreds of hours using Li-ions with my green A2, unmodded and no problems (just a burned out lamp after 60 hrs). The best option is to put higher resistor values on the LED ring so as to not damage the LEDs.

As to your question about batteries being depleted, I have not tried your particular experiment, but I imagine with the LEDs removed and the tailcap set in low mode that the batteries are sending current through the circuitry and the 10ohm resistor and slowly draining the batteries through heat dissipation. The easiest solution seems to back the tailcap out to the lock-out position when not in use.

leukos, thanks for reply. What does 1000 on each resistor mean? anyone know? I am not concerned about current drain, I just thought it was interesting to know.

Bill

Flashaholic

Ive a newer A2 (rounded body).
    AWs RCR123 (label removed) fit after a bit sanding at the end of the battery tube.

The resistor in the tailcap has 10 Ohm.
    Each led has its own 33 Ohm resistor.

Current to each led with 2*3V CR123 batteries is 40 mA (-->bit too much).
    Power to the led-resistor is 53 mW (-->ok).

Current to each led with 2*4,1V RCR rechargeables is 70 mA (-->too much)
    Power to the led-resitor is 162 mW (-->bit too much).

So Ive changed the stock leds to THC-leds, which can handle the higher current. You can also use a 5 mm 0,5 watt type.

Works flawless so far.

Flashaholic

Energie, where did you get the THC-led's from? I've been looking for a while and can't find them anywhere.
    Those 0.5W led's from led-tech.de look interesting too.

My A2 is modded with Nichia NSPL-500S warm white LED's and 100 Ohm 0805 SMD resistors in the LED ring. These replace the stock 33 Ohm resistors.

Current draw with AW's RCR123's and the 10 Ohm tailcap resister in series;

Fully charged, 4.16V per cell;
    116mA. Or 38.67mA per LED.

Fully discharged, 3.5~3.6V per cell;
    84mA, or 28mA per LED.

Runtime analysis;
    [code]
    SF MA02 AW protected RCR-123: 32min 26sec
    LF HO-A2 AW protected RCR-123: 29min 20sec
    SF MA02 Soshine RCR-123: 41min 23sec
    LF HO-A2 Soshine RCR-123: 36min 20sec
    FM Strion Socket Kit Soshine RCR-123: 31min 55sec[/code]The AW protected cells cut out at ~3.5V, the Soshine unprotected cells cut out at ~3.0V and quickly bounce back to ~3.3V after a few minutes.
    My AW cells fit in my round A2 with the labels removed but don't fit in my 4 flats A2.
    The Soshine cells drop into both A2's perfectly.

Flashaholic

Ive got the THC Leds from this shop (closed): Link
    The 0,5 Watt led from led-tech.de is brighter than the THC led.

Your 100 Ohm resistor is perfect with RCR 123.
    Ive left the 33 Ohm resistors in the A2 because sometimes I use CR123 batteries.

Thanks for the runtimes.

FYI, lsdiodes.com only had single-die THC3's left for sale, no four-die.

You can still send email to sales@lsdiodes.com and ask if they still have any left.

Cheers,
    Gary
    Keyser Sze was a flashaholic.

I'd suggest one of Koala's onion rings - these are regulated PCBs for the Aviator that take any bi-pin LED without soldering and substitutes entirely for the stock LED ring. Modification is completely reversible, and IMHO, this should be how the light came from Surefire.

I'll hopefully get one for Christmas, along with some Nichia GS, snow LEDs, and high-CRI 5mm diodes to play with. ^_^

Flashaholic

Couldn't agree more with the onion rings, but I got tired of waiting so 100 Ohm resisters it is for now.

Flashaholic

I just got my A2 LED blue. Only one of my 17670 fit (and I need this one for my L2). Works great with one rechargable and with 2 123. Is 2 RCR 123 safe for a A2 LED (the central light source is a white LED)?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12