I won the luxon lottery

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well.. i was more than intrigued by seeing this light:

GoldenRawSlanted.jpg

Fred aka photonfanatic polished the bajeezzes out of this little RAW light.. and we all had figured he was just going to taunt us with it.. but.. no.. he offered it for sale, and i saw the post minutes old and said 'I'll take it'..

It arrived today and i have to say i'm blown away by the simplicity of the design as much as the polishing job and gold plating.. however.. what i'm REALLY blown away by is this:

measuring the current.. i first got 600mA.. but after putting on some progold and warming up the battery.. it output 750mA... but the more interesting test would be the light output..

Even though it would appear there is a cut-down McR20 in there... My little Golden RAW could be called the golden egg... with less than HALF the current going through that little emitter.. I measured 1600-1700 lux at one meter!

HOLY COW!

That's about what my lion cub pulled with a fresh battery with the IMS20 reflector.. i get about 1800 or so now.. to your eyes.. the difference is not perceivable.

So.. did i win the luxeon lottery or are all these bliming RAWs this bright?

No buyer's remorse on this one.

-awr

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just the first 150 of them -- the u-bins. I bet the gold flash looks a lot better in person than it does pictures (and it looks pretty good in pictures)!

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the legion of satisfied Orb users, Andrew. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif And I wish I'd had the money for that bugger, but.. well, I guess I'll have to settle for one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
it sure does look like a bullet.. it feels a little like a bullet if you turn it on while it's facing you!

I've played with U bin emitters before but they don't output like this monster.... i'm going to do a test putting similar current and power into this and the UX1K i have and measure the output... i'm convinced this has to be on the high side of the range... because at 1/2 the drive it's almost as bright as the LionCub with a Tbin... i measured 1.7A with my LionCub and it gets about 1800 lux with the McGiz reflector (although it is blocked a bit... coincidentally probably about as much as the raw reflector is cut down.

With the RAW.. i measured 600mA the first time but after that i measured 750mA and for brightness.. 1600-1700 with a fresh bat.. but maybe 1500-1600 even after numerous test uses... that's amazing.

-awr

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
ya know what.. i'll do that.

(40 minutes later)..

beamshots

I did two runs.. one with the exposure set to the low brightness lights (lioncub and RAW)... and one for the RT4 on high.

The first run looks a lot like naked eye view.. when in the world did a LionCub and RAW become the 'low brightness lights?!'

-awr

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like mine

Orb.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Shane

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I Measyre 1600 Lux on my RAW Ubin and the battery could have taken a longer charge. The Size, simplicity and the power on the U make it a real winner in 2005 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes it's simply stunning.. not overdriven.. though the battery is pushed a bit at a little over 2C. I'm going to have to get some spares. quite a gem... well jewelry in my case being so polished and Gold plated.. it's quite marvy.

-awr

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had people tell me that it looks like a lipstick tube - till I turn it on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
it def. looks like a lipstick tube.. well especially mine since it's GOLD.. did i mentino it's GOLD? (grin). definitely a stand-out light.. I guess that just like the real lottery.. this one was a shared lottery. very cool.

-awr