How was the HA on your HDS EDC?

sbebenelli

Enlightened
I received my EDC basic 42 a couple weeks ago and the HA on it has several nicks and the screw holes look like they was done after the HA was applied then the holes where chamfered. I got a set of screws from arewethereyetdad and when I put them in you can see bare aluminum all around them. I'm just wondering if this is rare or has anyone else received one like mine. I love this light and I know several months from now it will have more nicks and scratches and none of this will matter. Also I plan on buying the updated clip later this month when it's available so the screw holes won't matter either.

makar

Enlightened
In general the anodization on sharp edges including screw holes disapears very fast. Because if there is an impact or even normal wear and tear the tension gets very high at these edges. This is because the force comes to a very small area and therefore the tension gets high (tension=force/area).
Unfortunately i don't have a HDS (yet!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif and can't refer to this specific model.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since it hangs around my neck a lot, I will say mine get's banged into ali trim on road cases, dropped the bezel once and get's it's share of abuse. None of the HA has chipped off. Just wanted to mention it's general HA-III strength.VDG

JohnF

Enlightened
Coatings perfect on both of mine - Basic 60 GT and Ultimate 60 XR. Both get dropped to pavement more than I care to fess up to, with nothing more serious than a very tiny ding (perceptable only with a fingernail).

Wish I could say the same about my Gladius... but that, and the lack of a clip, are the only bad things I can say about it.

John F