HDS Systems        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "The Light" Twin Lux3/18650/IMS 20 (Beamshots!)

Enlightened

Default \"The Light\" Twin Lux3/18650/IMS 20 (Beamshots!)

Some backgroud before I start getting into the details of my unnamed light (for now, "the light").

In the back of my mind during my ~2 years of lurking in the shadows of CPF, I've wanted to stray
    away from the idea that non-round lights are just little multi-5mm LED toy lights.
    Oh and andrewwynn, your light doesn't fall into the "toy light" category [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

This project started out simply as something fun to do while learning Rhino 3, and then machining
    it out with my father's CNC mill (MaxNC 15). I got the hang of Rhino (first computer modeling of
    any kind) in about 2 weeks doing models of rather simple things; Luxeon III emitter, reflectors,
    5mm LED, etc...

I have been EDC'ing this light for about 2 weeks, and it's just bare aluminum, so it's not as nice and shiny as it could be.

From left to right: 3D Mag, 2C Mag, 3AAA 1W Dorcy, "The Light", 1AA Dorcy, 1AA Dorcy, 1AAA Dorcy.

For right now, it's just a momentary. I plan on fully micro-controlling "the light".

Issues that will be addressed in the next prototype:
    1. Front and back plates will be reworked to remove (for the most part) seams and maybe even the screws.
    How I'm doing this will remain secret for now.
    2. Each half will mate with each other, rather than just lay flat (OOOoooo, dirty).
    3. Charging port and possible docking station with built-in charger.
    4. Countless other minor tweaks.

Now the big question: am I going to do a "run"?
    Maybe, this will depend on quite a few things.
    How long it takes to complete a single Rev-B light.
    How much interest "the light" has.
    How many people want it plated.
    Price...
    And also how complete each light will be when shipped. I may just make the bodies, and not a complete light.
    If this is the case, I would welcome someone buying lots of bodies and stuffing them for resale.

Edit: Added first image.

Default Re: \"The Light\" Twin Lux3s, 18650s and IMS 20s

Love the light, nice and outside the box [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Can i recommend one thing?

Is there enough materal, to make the middle thinner?
    So it looks more lke two lubes blended together?

The indention would provide more grip I think. and might add alittle flare to it.

I would be interested in a body once you know the final results.

GREAT work,

~John

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
    jtice said:
    <snip>
    Is there enough materal, to make the middle thinner?
    So it looks more lke two lubes blended together?

The indention would provide more grip I think. and might add alittle flare to it.
    <snip>

[/ QUOTE ]

I did think of doing that when I first started designing, but settled for mirror-like flat sides for my first one.
    I could make the area for the electronics (between the emitters and batteries a little shallower and do just that.

I guess, we'll see.

Thanks for the feedback!

Hey! that looks like the size of an alcohol flask. I wonder what the cops will say...
    Nice job, BTW.

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
    Kryosphinx said:
    Hey! that looks like the size of an alcohol flask. I wonder what the cops will say...
    Nice job, BTW.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you should say that. I've also got "plans" for a tri "Light" that has a slight curve to the body, just like a flask.

Nice work [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] It there a need for the batteries and/or reflectors to be separated by metal or could all that extra metal be removed for a lighter and smaller unit [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

Nice light - looks a LOT like a light I have had 1/2 finished in the garage for a while, so I really like it.

You have also run into the real challenges of lights of this type - the seals and closing the ends. Also of course, it takes custom electronics (just got my boards this past week)

Nice finishing work. If I had known you had access to your own CNC, I might have been bugging you to make some things for me. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
    CromagNet said:
    Nice work [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] It there a need for the batteries and/or reflectors to be separated by metal or could all that extra metal be removed for a lighter and smaller unit [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because this was my first time using a CNC mill, I gave a little extra room just about everywhere to make sure I didn't waste 12 hours (for each half, not counting fly-cutting an aluminum block the right size and rounding of the bottom) checking up on the CNC every 15 minutes to find out I should have made this spot a little thicker, or something along those lines.

So that will be one of those minor tweaks [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Rossitron said:

[ QUOTE ]
    For right now, it's just a momentary. I plan on fully micro-controlling "the light".

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, if you have a spot in which to locate a true momentary switch, the LionCub/Heart circuitry would be perfect. Would you mind PM'ing me?

SO...

The race is on for the first to market...

Bill

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
    bwaites said:
    SO...

The race is on for the first to market...

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it you have a similar light in development? If you've already posted about it, I guess I missed it and I'm sorry. I didn't mean to step on anyones toes.

But if you haven't then well, competition makes for happy consumers [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Can you do beamshots?

Flashaholic*

There is always room for another CPFr to build a light and sell it. Great minds think alike - and differently enough to have fun. Competition always is better - it spurs us all on.

As you have noticed, there are a lot of "round lights" on the market, and somehow, they are the same, yet different.

If you are interested in working together on something, i am open to that as well. I found a way around the 24 hours of machining you are doing that might work for both of our projects.

Rossitron,

Not me, just HarryN and Andrew.

I might point out that effective Aug 1 you cannot ship unprotected LiIon cells by common courier, so you must use protected 18650's to be able to ship UPS, FedEx etc.

I didn't see that you were using unprotected cells, just wanted that out there for everyone.

I think the light is cool, I've been following the other similar projects for some time.

Bill

Nice light! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodjob.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Rossitron,

It needs a lanyard attachment point somewhere on the back, it's just a thought [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif[/img]

Later
    Kelly

That is just what I was thinking of and you are 50 steps ahead of me!!! I was going for the optics over the reflectors to get more of a flood, but that's a minor detail. With a few tweaks, I would be very interested in buying in bulk. Some things I would love to see would be the charging port and built-in charger, 3 position switch with 1/2, 1 and 2 light options. I would ABSOLUTELY be honored to try your prototype though. Check your PM. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wow.gif[/img]

hope you got in-touch with MrB.. the LH driver would work well for this mod.. i'm not sure if' youd have to run the two emitters in parallel or series with full bat. volt.. but i bet that'd be a hellova nice solution.

-awr

Enlightened

Metroid:
    I think you misinterpreted my offer [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

"I can give you the current model for the body to save you some time." In other words, I can send you the computer Rhino 3 model file, not the physical prototype itself. Sorry [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

*Flashaholic*

Geeezzz i thought this was a piece of Cad work, i didnt know you actually made it.
    even if i had a machine shop at hand, i cant see it comming out like that .

""I may just make the bodies, and not a complete light.""

did you really say that? that you would make up these awesome bodies, and sell them ? or was that a slip of the keyboard?

how much would a body like that run , if say 30 peoples bought one?

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
    VidPro said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd rather not put a dollar figure on it at the moment because I'm trying my best with my 2nd revision to keep the work by hand to a minimum while removing as many of the visible seams as possible.

But I will say this, I would have a hard time sleeping at night if I charged more than $200 for a body, unless each one turns out being as time consuming as the first one was [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I should have some renders of the second revision at some point tomorrow, but don't hold me to it.
    Stay tuned!

I mis-read that offer the first time through too.. but caught it the second time.. yeah that'd have been a little over-the-top nice of an offer :-D

I really like the 'lobed' idea.. i had a MM design that did that x 4 lobes.. but now it's just rounded and flat... looks a bit like a seed you'd plant to get this light.. or an infant maybe.. what are the dimensions?

I love the 20IMS.. this light is very similar to the MaxiMighy concept.. just scaling up the MM to either a 2-pack of 18650s or 3 pack of 17670s.. (same exact WH total).. keep us posted.

-awr

Enlightened

Oh yeah, about beamshots:
    Right now I only have some SYAK's in my prototype but I can still post some beamshots at some point tomorrow after I top off the batteries.

Would a side by side non-saturating comparison with a stock 3D Mag fit the bill? Or do you guys want LED vs LED beamshots?

*Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
    Rossitron said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    VidPro said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd rather not put a dollar figure on it at the moment because I'm trying my best with my 2nd revision to keep the work by hand to a minimum while removing as many of the visible seams as possible.

But I will say this, I would have a hard time sleeping at night if I charged more than $200 for a body, unless each one turns out being as time consuming as the first one was [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I should have some renders of the second revision at some point tomorrow, but don't hold me to it.
    Stay tuned!

[/ QUOTE ]

i would have a hard time sleeping at night, if i PAID $200 for a body [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] it might keep me up at night just staring at it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

if its the polishing , which can take forever, well i can do that myself, its the machining i cannot do.
    well unless you include cutting aluminum sheet metal out with snips and bending it into semi-round shapes [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Enlightened

VidPro:

To be honest with you, with the way I'm polishing, it's just about the fastest part [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

After I do the rounding operation on a half with the CNC, the body has lots of little steps in it, which look very small, but take ALOT of sanding by hand to remove. I can rework the toolpath to take smaller steps, making the machining take longer, or I can find other ways of sanding. That's a little down the road from where I am with Rev-B right now.

I'm flexable, assuming I do a run, if you just want a raw body, I can sell you just the raw body.

do you have a 4-axis mill? would it be possible to turn the part on an axis that is in the center of that arc.. and run an end mill up and down to cut that curve.. rotating a degree per swipe.. might get you a smoother starting point.. it's the tool path i was planning to use for making that shape on my MM.

=-awr

Nice light! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I can relate to your concern of how one slight error or 2 seconds of inattention can turn a days labor into scrap! So cool to have the idea realized and up and functioning!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

ok.. been chatting all night with a driver supplier.. going to get some samples and figure out if there is a nice way to implement it into this light.. If you could make bodies.. i might be very interested in populating the insides.. with a driver.. a charger.. so that you can simply have a charger jack to refill the batteries.. i can get as many as 150 of the drivers.

This light would be a gem to have.. should get about 3500 lux or more.. quite a lot of light from such a small light.

-awr

So to recharge the Li-Ions the tail needs to be unscrewed? any chance of leaving a small "hole" somewhere in the light so that a bi-pin or coaxial connector can be embedded? I'm thinking that with one of those BatterySpace.com protection circuits this could basically be a self contained light that never needs to be opened. A charger of some sort would be needed, of course but that's just another detail, right? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

jtice raises a good point. Any little bit of contouring you can add to the body would help grip and might modify its aesthetic appeal.

Jon

Very nice - excellent work there dude [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodjob.gif[/img]

Will

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast