"The Light" Twin Lux3/18650/IMS 20 (Beamshots!)

Rossitron

Newly Enlightened
\"The Light\" Twin Lux3/18650/IMS 20 (Beamshots!)

Some backgroud before I start getting into the details of my unnamed light (for now, "the light").

In the back of my mind during my ~2 years of lurking in the shadows of CPF, I've wanted to stray
away from the idea that non-round lights are just little multi-5mm LED toy lights.
Oh and andrewwynn, your light doesn't fall into the "toy light" category /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

This project started out simply as something fun to do while learning Rhino 3, and then machining
it out with my father's CNC mill (MaxNC 15). I got the hang of Rhino (first computer modeling of
any kind) in about 2 weeks doing models of rather simple things; Luxeon III emitter, reflectors,
5mm LED, etc...

render9lb.jpg

I have been EDC'ing this light for about 2 weeks, and it's just bare aluminum, so it's not as nice and shiny as it could be.

From left to right: 3D Mag, 2C Mag, 3AAA 1W Dorcy, "The Light", 1AA Dorcy, 1AA Dorcy, 1AAA Dorcy.

For right now, it's just a momentary. I plan on fully micro-controlling "the light".

Issues that will be addressed in the next prototype:
1. Front and back plates will be reworked to remove (for the most part) seams and maybe even the screws.
How I'm doing this will remain secret for now.
2. Each half will mate with each other, rather than just lay flat (OOOoooo, dirty).
3. Charging port and possible docking station with built-in charger.
4. Countless other minor tweaks.

Now the big question: am I going to do a "run"?
Maybe, this will depend on quite a few things.
How long it takes to complete a single Rev-B light.
How much interest "the light" has.
How many people want it plated.
Price...
And also how complete each light will be when shipped. I may just make the bodies, and not a complete light.
If this is the case, I would welcome someone buying lots of bodies and stuffing them for resale.

Edit: Added first image.

jtice

Flashaholic
Re: \"The Light\" Twin Lux3s, 18650s and IMS 20s

Love the light, nice and outside the box /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Can i recommend one thing?

Is there enough materal, to make the middle thinner?
So it looks more lke two lubes blended together?

The indention would provide more grip I think. and might add alittle flare to it.

I would be interested in a body once you know the final results.

GREAT work,

~John

Rossitron

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
jtice said:
<snip>
Is there enough materal, to make the middle thinner?
So it looks more lke two lubes blended together?

The indention would provide more grip I think. and might add alittle flare to it.
<snip>

[/ QUOTE ]

I did think of doing that when I first started designing, but settled for mirror-like flat sides for my first one.
I could make the area for the electronics (between the emitters and batteries a little shallower and do just that.

I guess, we'll see.

Thanks for the feedback!

Kryosphinx

Enlightened

Hey! that looks like the size of an alcohol flask. I wonder what the cops will say...
Nice job, BTW.

Rossitron

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Kryosphinx said:
Hey! that looks like the size of an alcohol flask. I wonder what the cops will say...
Nice job, BTW.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you should say that. I've also got "plans" for a tri "Light" that has a slight curve to the body, just like a flask.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif It there a need for the batteries and/or reflectors to be separated by metal or could all that extra metal be removed for a lighter and smaller unit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice light - looks a LOT like a light I have had 1/2 finished in the garage for a while, so I really like it.

You have also run into the real challenges of lights of this type - the seals and closing the ends. Also of course, it takes custom electronics (just got my boards this past week)

Nice finishing work. If I had known you had access to your own CNC, I might have been bugging you to make some things for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rossitron

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
CromagNet said:
Nice work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif It there a need for the batteries and/or reflectors to be separated by metal or could all that extra metal be removed for a lighter and smaller unit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Because this was my first time using a CNC mill, I gave a little extra room just about everywhere to make sure I didn't waste 12 hours (for each half, not counting fly-cutting an aluminum block the right size and rounding of the bottom) checking up on the CNC every 15 minutes to find out I should have made this spot a little thicker, or something along those lines.

So that will be one of those minor tweaks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Rossitron said:

[ QUOTE ]
For right now, it's just a momentary. I plan on fully micro-controlling "the light".

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, if you have a spot in which to locate a true momentary switch, the LionCub/Heart circuitry would be perfect. Would you mind PM'ing me?

Rossitron

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
bwaites said:
SO...

The race is on for the first to market...

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it you have a similar light in development? If you've already posted about it, I guess I missed it and I'm sorry. I didn't mean to step on anyones toes.

But if you haven't then well, competition makes for happy consumers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast

There is always room for another CPFr to build a light and sell it. Great minds think alike - and differently enough to have fun. Competition always is better - it spurs us all on.

As you have noticed, there are a lot of "round lights" on the market, and somehow, they are the same, yet different.

If you are interested in working together on something, i am open to that as well. I found a way around the 24 hours of machining you are doing that might work for both of our projects.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

Rossitron,

Not me, just HarryN and Andrew.

I might point out that effective Aug 1 you cannot ship unprotected LiIon cells by common courier, so you must use protected 18650's to be able to ship UPS, FedEx etc.

I didn't see that you were using unprotected cells, just wanted that out there for everyone.

I think the light is cool, I've been following the other similar projects for some time.

Bill

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice light! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodjob.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast

Rossitron,

It needs a lanyard attachment point somewhere on the back, it's just a thought /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Later
Kelly

Metroid

Newly Enlightened

That is just what I was thinking of and you are 50 steps ahead of me!!! I was going for the optics over the reflectors to get more of a flood, but that's a minor detail. With a few tweaks, I would be very interested in buying in bulk. Some things I would love to see would be the charging port and built-in charger, 3 position switch with 1/2, 1 and 2 light options. I would ABSOLUTELY be honored to try your prototype though. Check your PM. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wow.gif

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

hope you got in-touch with MrB.. the LH driver would work well for this mod.. i'm not sure if' youd have to run the two emitters in parallel or series with full bat. volt.. but i bet that'd be a hellova nice solution.

-awr

Rossitron

Newly Enlightened

Metroid:
I think you misinterpreted my offer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

"I can give you the current model for the body to save you some time." In other words, I can send you the computer Rhino 3 model file, not the physical prototype itself. Sorry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast

Geeezzz i thought this was a piece of Cad work, i didnt know you actually made it.
even if i had a machine shop at hand, i cant see it comming out like that .

""I may just make the bodies, and not a complete light.""

did you really say that? that you would make up these awesome bodies, and sell them ? or was that a slip of the keyboard?

how much would a body like that run , if say 30 peoples bought one?