What's next after Surefire L4?

DaveH

Enlightened
What\'s next after Surefire L4?

I had an L4 for a couple of years. I love it, but instead of buying a knife next month, I'm thinking of getting another light. I don't want any menus, I don't want any custom, it needs to be as bright or brighter.

I used to think maybe an L5 or U2.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

stringj

Newly Enlightened
Re: What\'s next after Surefire L4?

I recently purchased a L4 as my first and only 5 watt light. I had no idea what I had been missing. I made it much more useful though by adding a two stage Aleph tail cap with 15 ohms of resistance by McGizmo. I now have a very nice two level light that runs on a rechargeable li-on cell. I recently ran the light on the low setting for 14 hours and the li-on cell took 1290 mAh to charge back up. This was a great $50.00 accessory.

Jerry

stringj

Newly Enlightened

Protected 17670 cells from AW. Sorry for the hijack DaveH.

Jerry

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, Jerry. And, likewise, apologies to DaveH for the hijack.

DaveH, as to your topic, you might find that a SF E2L goes well with your L4. I love mine. Same size as L4, but with more of a throw than a flood beam. And, runs great on AW's protected R123s.

Andrew

Flashdark

Enlightened

1. L2, 2-stage, regulated LED.

"Low Power" setting - slightly dimmer than the old KL-1 but otherwise identical. About 10 1/2 hours +/- duration.

"High Power" setting - slightly brighter than the KL-4, biut otherwise identical. About 45 minutes +/- duration.

5-position tailcap. Lockout, unlocked - push for momentary "low", push easy for momentary low, harder for momentary high, constant low - push for momentary high, constant high.

2. U-2, 6-stage power level from much less than KL-1 to slightly more than KL-5 level. Beam is identical with the KL-5. FM-64 or F-70 Beamshaper can be added for more flood. Lockout, click on - click off tailcap like the L4. About 48 hours duration on the low power setting, 1 hour on high.

If you are worried about size, go with the L2. It is a great light. Because of the dimmer setting of the U2, and the resultant 48 hours of duration at it's lowest setting, the U-2 has more than 4 times the duration and is far more power-versatile, but you are now at the size of an M2 and EDC becomes more of a problem.

3. Forget the L5. It is just a U2 at power level 5.

Hope this helps.

DaveH

Enlightened

Flashdark, thanks, sounds like U2, may be what I should consider.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast

Craig at Ledmuseum says he couldn't fit a Pila 168S in his L2, so this would pretty much rule it out for me.

best regards

DaveH

Enlightened

Do I need to still be concerned with getting a good tint for a U2?

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened

DaveH,

I can highly recommend the U2. I've had mine for about 12
days now and love it. More throw that the L2 or the L4 and
comes with 6 light levels.

Great light ............. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

This flashlight stuff is intoxicating ...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy23.gif

grnamin

Enlightened

I think this combo would be awesome:
new-type KL3 (when it's finally available /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) + E2C adaptor + FM64 beamshaper + 2x123 flared Aleph body + Aleph two-stage switch = throw
monster and wide beam capability with two stage illumination in a small package.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not to mention horriblyh out of proportion-Have you seen how the new KL3 looks on a P series body? It'll look like a old school hand grenade... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JMagic

Newly Enlightened

U2!! and you can use cheap 18650 rechargeables with 90 minutes run time on max level!!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

U2, because that's like six lights in one. The L5 doesn't add much over the L4.

grnamin

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
270winchester said:
Not to mention horriblyh out of proportion-Have you seen how the new KL3 looks on a P series body? It'll look like a old school hand grenade... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It'll look something like this:
orig.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I think it'll work nicely with the beamshaper and two-stage switch though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif You're right, it will look like a German WWII grenade. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif