Anyone Else Watch 'Good Eats' on the Food Network?

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
Anyone Else Watch \'Good Eats\' on the Food Network?

It's a cooking show hosted by Alton Brown, and recently he has been using headlamps and flashlights on the show. On today's episode I was able to identify that it was a Surefire E2. To spend $100 on a flashlight he too must be a flashaholic.

It's amazing the things you begin to notice on TV/Movies as a flashaholic... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
Re: Anyone Else Watch \'Good Eats\' on the Food Netw

Watch today's epsiode and you'll notice the flashlight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yep, Alton Brown is brown just might be my favorite host/character on TVF. He really knows his stuff, and makes it fun to watch and learn.

StevieRay

Enlightened

DITTO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened

It's good to know I'm not the only one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

Oh yeah! We just made his "Pressure Cooker Chili" two days ago - WOW!! Did I say "WOW"?!

I'd say it was a bit too meaty, like eating a bowl of steak! We used beef, pork, and lamb - YUMMY!!

Yesterday I made the same chili without the pork & lamb (though I used ground beef instead of beef stew meat) specifically to use as a hot dog chili - it turned out EXCELLENT as well!

raggie33

*the raggedier*

yep i watch that show mag i like it a lot.hey sig was that the one where he was a cowboy?.i watch a lot of foodnetwork and animnal plantet and discovery chanel and natinal geographic and history chanel. o ps im geting so i dont like meat to much any more .

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

raggie - yep he was a cowboy and he had a partner as well - that was a funny show (and GREAT chili..."excuse me" - /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)!

Good channels you're watching - there's too much other garbage on the other channels these days!

Nope - gotta have my protein through meat, I imagine I could lose some weight if I backed off?! Hey there's no meat in cake and that wouldn't help!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

r2

Enlightened

I've never seen the show (it's not broadcast in England as far as I know) but I bought both of his cooking books. I love his approach of teaching how things cook and why you should or shouldn't do certain things instead of just laying out a bunch of dogmatic rules like so many cooking shows/books.

- Russ

Chris_Medico

Newly Enlightened

raggie33

*the raggedier*

nice kitch3en is that a exaust vent above stove?i need one of them i got a filter type vent but it dont vent outside and wehn i cook steaks i make lots a smoke sadly searing them

DaveT

Enlightened

Definitely try his meatloaf - garlic croutons, carrots, etc...best I've ever had.

Chris_Medico

Newly Enlightened

It is an exhaust hood. It has filters like commercial ones. It works very well. It moves so much air on HI that I have to open the little window over the sink to keep the doors from whistling.

I need to take some more pictures with me (or maybe someone better looking) in them so the proper scale can be seen. The kitchen looks small in the pictures but isn't.

Banshee

Enlightened

I lik ehow Alton explains the "science" of his cooking as well as the historical genesis of why foods are the way they are today. Definately a Fodd Network fave....
(He's not as cute As Rachael Ray though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

JackBlades

Enlightened

Yes, and he's a knife knut, too. He's been spotted at the Blade Show in Atlanta.........

They did a show awhile back on how they install all those little cameras that look back at him from inside the oven, fridge, etc.

Brock

Flashaholic

My wife watches them all and won't delete them from TiVo. I have it on some good info that one of our own is friends with him and may have given him that flashlight!!!

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Sigman said:
Oh yeah! We just made his "Pressure Cooker Chili" two days ago - WOW!! Did I say "WOW"?!

I'd say it was a bit too meaty, like eating a bowl of steak! We used beef, pork, and lamb - YUMMY!!

Yesterday I made the same chili without the pork & lamb (though I used ground beef instead of beef stew meat) specifically to use as a hot dog chili - it turned out EXCELLENT as well!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's great. I remember that he received some heat from chili fans who said "That's not chili!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

I guess it was just because it wasn't really traditional because of the tortilla chips and the canned salsa. I've always been interested in his baking epsiodes, that's really why I watch him. Including the Ice Cream Episode from today. I've been making Ice Cream for some time and nice to see his take on it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Not to mention this epsiode was pretty funny.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

I guess the tortillas (taking the place of masa flour) and the salsa are just convenience ingredients.

The tortillas really do absorb a lot of moisture and add an intersting flavor as well. The salsa saves chopping up tomatoes, onions, green peppers, etc and depending on what salsa you use - indeed also affects the flavor!

We made a pretty spicy pot! Love those chipotles!! With the pressure cooker, the meat was soooo tender and it was such a quick way to make a tasty "bowl of red"!