L4: Best Rechargeable Solution?

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please help. All the accolades heaped on the L4 have about got me convinced I need to get one, but I am constitutionally unable to pay for 2 CR123 primaries for a fairly short runtime. (I think Quickbeam's review put it at about 1.25 hr. in regulation).

I want a rechargeable solution that will give decent runtime (at least 30-45 minutes in regulation), with no loss in brightness, and I'd strongly prefer protected cells.

I have heard that AW's protected 17670 cells are one answer, and his "worldwide charger" would also be necessary. The cells are currently "out of stock". I also heard that Pilas are a possibility, and there goes another large chunk of change for the cells, charger, etc. I also read somewhere that performance is diminished on the Pilas.

I already have AW's protected R123s and the accompanying charger, which works great with my E2L (KL1). Aren't there any cells I can charge with that same charger that will work with the L4?

AW did say that Alephs will work with the above charger, so should I just give up on the L4 and cough up the dough for a small Aleph flood (and, if so, what model would you recommend?)

I know my frustration is showing, but I would appreciate any guidance from fellow CPFers on this issue.

Thanks very much.

glock_nor_cal

Enlightened
you need to get the Pila 168S from JS Burly's. It's a single protected battery that substitutes for 2 123A's. It has no decrease in runtime or brightness. I bought 2 of them for both of my L4s, and a charger, and I have no regrets.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
AFAustin said:
AW did say that Alephs will work with the above charger, so should I just give up on the L4 and cough up the dough for a small Aleph flood (and, if so, what model would you recommend?). . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like my McLuxIII-PD. I am using Battery Space RCR123As, getting a little over an hour with them before the light starts blinking in bright mode. They are selling a charger and 4 batteries for around $20.

It basically outperforms my Surefire A2 for not too much more money. I think you would have somewhere near the same money in a Surefire L4 by the time you have a McGizmo 2-stage tailcap and a rechargeable system going.

Here was today's use:

At work I went to do an inspection at a job site. The PD can slip into my pants pocket when I am wearing "see clients" clothes, and is excellent for poking around buildings that have no electricity. After work I read a while with a Surefire F04 Beamshaper and low beam. (Ok, I'm strange, but it is relaxing to read by flashlight after a work day that takes you all the way to darkness in July.) At midnight I was dispatched out of bed to an aid call (volunteer firefighter). I was in the kitchen grabbing my uniform coat, and lit up the room by standing the light on end on high beam. Driving to the call I used the light to read the piece of paper on which I had written the address. When I got close I pointed the light out the window to read addresses on mailboxes. This light really throws!

No other light I own will do all that: two brightness modes, tail-standing, rechargeable batteries, and a choice of flood w/F04 or spot without. Plus it can use Surefire filters and is pocketable.

I think the L4 would be a good light too. It should do all of the above (with a McGizmo tailcap) except for the throw. But I don't own one, so that is not a first-hand opinion. You might also want to check the HDS EDCs. Again, I don't own one of those.

Hope that helps.

Scott

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Glock. I know the Pilas are good, but am trying not to invest in yet another charging system if I can avoid it.

Scott, thanks for that very informative post. Sounds tempting, but my pocket thrower is a E1L, and I'm really looking for a pocket flood companion.

Thanks again, and hoping for some more suggestions....