Kroll: Resistance is Futile?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've read in a couple spots that the Kroll is adding considerable resistance to a setup. My SL Lux Jr. is pimped out with reflector, lux III and increase current, BUT still has the dang Kroll. Is there a replacement switch that would do the trick?

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
What resistance is it giving you ? Perhaps one way to approach the problem (if it is one) would be to start replacing the individual parts with more conductive ones.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I read somewhere that replacing the bottom spring with the one from a miniMag decreses resistance a bit. You'd have to look for compatible springs with lower resistance to swap out the innards. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif or find another clikie?

chrisse242

Enlightened
Well, it's not the original Kroll in the SL Jr. Luxeon if I recall correctly. Are you sure your Kroll really adds any noticeable resistance? They switched from plastic to metal for the threads, maybe they imroved resistance as well... Did anyone ever test the new Kroll for resistance?

Chrisse

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's it; I don't know. I remember reading about Kroll resistance, but don't have the wherewithall to check myself.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
metal krolls sounds like a good idea... i know that my krolls all give me fits.. in the VIP.. it'll go into 'blinky' mode really quick.. and on lower levels.. it'll turn on at different brightness levels all on it's own.. on thee groovy... when the battery is low the brightness varies a lot if i turn the light off n on...

I put pro-gold on the contact surfaces which helps a lot.. but what i really want is an FET controlled kroll.. and i'll make one soon as i have the nanos made and have a free day... plan is to put in a tiny Lithum sell in the cavity under the spring to operate the gate on the FET... and hack the contact to close the gate switch... the FETs i use are 0.045ohm... which is 40mW loss on the FET.. and 3/100ths of a volt.

-awr

DavidR

Newly Enlightened
This sounds like a great fix although I think I would need one of your great diagram to completely understand it. I would deffinately like to buy one when you get around to making them.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Harry... enough that 30hrs/day would be juuusst about right.

Fortunately.. the MM design is almost complete.. the BAM! design is mostly complete.. Nano design has been done for months just waiting for the circuit boards to arrive.

The digital kroll is a backburner item.. probably get some time to play with that when i get the BAM metal ordered after i'm done designing the driver circuit for the same.

-awr

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
My SL JR Lx gives me no problems. the switch is much more beefier than a kroll, and never flickers or doesn't come on. Now my regular kroll I have, it does all kinds of evil things...