Nite Ize LED replacement bulb

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked one up last night after reading how white the beam is and seeing a marginal improvement in candlepower over the original Opalec Newbeam (thanks to the LED Museum for that one!:D).

Well, I'm not sure what I should have expected for $8.99 plus tax but to say I was underwhelmed would be putting it mildly. For those interested, this does not have a low voltage indicator like the NewBeam. The overall construction was not up to par (in my opinion) and the black shroud covering the electronics and sides of the LEDs was flimsy. In fact this shroud was not round but was pushed out of shape by a large component on the board so that it actually looked oval from the top. While beam was whiter than my NewBeam it did not seem to be as bright. I'm wishing I'd just spent the extra $$ for another NewBeam.

Does anyone else have experience with these units? Did I just get a bad one?

Jon

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one and found it handy for a bedside light so I bought another for my wife's side of the bed. No powerhouse light but very nice for use in the house at night. I also used it on an evening walk but found it to be just a little too dim for comfort although it is much nicer than the stock minimag beam. Battery life is VERY good.

PRO- Easy to install, pretty darn cheap, Even-WHITE beam that isn't overpowering for indoor use at night.

CON- Pretty cheap construction, on one of mine the LEDs are all canted off to one side, a touch fragile (don't overtighten that head to turn it off or you'll hear an ugly CRACK). Beam is set as a flood with no focus.

Would I buy more? Hell yes, I think they make the mini-mags much more useable than stock.