SL Scorpion rubber sleeve

Stream

Enlightened
One CPF member mentioned that the rubber sleeve on his Scorpion would slip off after repeated use. Has anyone else had this problem with the Scorpion?

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it keeps slipping take it off and clean the body with rubbing alcohol and then dry. Spray on some hair spray and quickly put the rubber sleeve back on. The hair spray will dry and the sleeve should stay put for awhile any way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's funny you should ask that, because that exact statement you're referring to actually went through my mind a couple of times today.

For me, no, it has not happened. But then, I haven't used it all that much in the two year's I've had it. It's a great little light though, really great, in my opinion.

I do have a stainless steel Thermos Coffee mug (the travel type) that has a rubber sleep in the middle, for grip/appearance, and it used to slip off. I just used a little Rubber Cement, and it slips no more. I'm almost certain that if the rubber sleeve on a Scorpion slips, a little Rubber Cement will fix it. You'd still be able to remove it, if necessary, as that stuff isn't really permanent like super glue (but you might need to reapply it afterward).

Stream

Enlightened
Trashman wrote:
[ QUOTE ]
It's funny you should ask that, because that exact statement you're referring to actually went through my mind a couple of times today.

[/ QUOTE ]
That is funny lol. The rubber sleeve slipping hasn't been a problem for me either, and I hadn't thought about it until I read that statement. After that I got neurotic and started clicking it to see if it would start to slip off after repeated use, it seemed to slip up a few millimeters. I pushed it back down a little bit to where it felt more snug. It feels very firm and tight, though, and I can't quite imagine that it could slip very far. Then again, I haven't owned it for more than a couple of weeks or so, and I don't really have specific use for it right now -- other than playing with it lol.
My work light is a SL jr.Luxeon since it uses regular cheap Alkalines and I don't require a super bright light for the work I do. The Scorpion goes with me everywhere else for any situation that might require a flashlight.
[ QUOTE ]
It's a great little light though, really great, in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]
Definitely! It seems like very good quality. I love this light, it's extremely bright and makes a very nice round spot of light with lots of usable side-spill.

Wolfen wrote:
[ QUOTE ]

If it keeps slipping take it off and clean the body with rubbing alcohol and then dry. Spray on some hair spray and quickly put the rubber sleeve back on. The hair spray will dry and the sleeve should stay put for awhile any way

[/ QUOTE ]
Have you tried this on your Scorpion?

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the same method with bicycle handlebar grips.

But when I want to remove the grips, I gently pry with a screwdriver to put the small plastic tube of WD-40 inside. I spray WD-40 on the inside of the grip. I get my hand and start to work the grip up and down. The grip will loosen, and it will slide off.

I use the hairspray to install the grip.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I may be the one always betching/griping about my SL Scorpion's darn rubber sleeve.

It is OLD. I bought it second hand a LONG time ago form a fellow CPF'er. I estimate its maybe 5-6 years old at least. I got a new rubber sleeve on there about 1 1/2 to 2 years ago along with a new head assembly and its been sitting in my draw in its original package ever since then (replaced by Pelican M6, sure bigger but no sleeve to deal with and I like the LOTC vs clicky, then lost and replaced that with an E2e, now I am using a U2 for a 2 cell light.)

I carried my SL Scorpion in my pocket and pulling it in and out, and clicking it on and off pretty much didn't work out for me. Sitting on a desk it may be fine but I find the rubber a little bit on the grippier side. I tried the hairspray trick and worked for a week and then back to slipping off.

Given the option to have a TL-2 (smaller, glass lens, but no clicky) I would rather have a TL-2 than Scorpion, but price is also a factor.

Stream

Enlightened
Jason wrote:
[ QUOTE ]
I carried my SL Scorpion in my pocket and pulling it in and out, and clicking it on and off pretty much didn't work out for me. Sitting on a desk it may be fine but I find the rubber a little bit on the grippier side. I tried the hairspray trick and worked for a week and then back to slipping off.

[/ QUOTE ]
Was the pocket very tight?
[ QUOTE ]
Given the option to have a TL-2 (smaller, glass lens, but no clicky) I would rather have a TL-2 than Scorpion, but price is also a factor.

[/ QUOTE ]
I actually wanted the TL2, but I couldn't find one on ebay. Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't the Scorpion and TL2 basically the same light except for the body and switch? It looks like they have the same bulb and reflector.

Ernsanada wrote:
[ QUOTE ]
I use the same method with bicycle handlebar grips.

But when I want to remove the grips, I gently pry with a screwdriver to put the small plastic tube of WD-40 inside. I spray WD-40 on the inside of the grip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good idea, cause I was wondering how I would even get it off if I wanted to do something about it. But has anyone else who has had the Scorpion and used it for some time had any problems with the sleeve slipping off?

[ QUOTE ]
I get my hand and start to work the grip up and down.

[/ QUOTE ]
What are you talking about? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif lol

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stream - I never put a light into a tight pocket. A few times I'll throw it into my front jean pocket which was fairly big, just getting it out was a problem. Most, well 90% of the time it was in a back pack or coat pocket.

eBay for lights?? why not shop at a online retail store? The prices I've seen aren't too bad, ~$36 for a SL Scorpion, ~$43 for a TL-2.

Checking part #'s, and a few websites, the TL-2/NF-2/Scorpion use the same bulb. It may even be the same reflector, but I am not making any assumptions. I called SL up about putting a glass lens into my Scorpion from the TL-2 and the person on the phone said it would not fit.

So the TL-2 is smaller, has a glass lens, and a different body/switch. Those three are the primary differences.

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you go to any motorcycle store you can buy grip glue which is used to glue the grips onto handlebars, clip ons etc. It works great on the scorpion and it will last until you want to take the rubber off.

The scorpion is a great light and I've gotten a lot of use from mine. You can find them on sale for about $20 every once in a while.

Steve

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whenever I can't get the grips off a bike, I do something similar, I just lift the end with a screwdriver, but instead of wd-40, I just shoot some window cleaner or soapy water in there. I'm not really sure, but I'd think wd-40 might be hard to completely remove from inside a grip and it might eat away at the rubber (I could be wrong, that's just what I've thought in the past). I guess if the grips are going to be thrown away, it'd be alright though.

Regarding the cheap online stores for SL scorpions, etc.... I bought mine at Defensedevices.com. Back when I bought it, probably a couple of years ago, it was only 32 bucks! With the shipping I payed $38.xx. I think the last time I checked there they were around $34 bucks.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stream,
The hairspray method is how I keep the rubber grip on my (wife's) Scorpion.

Tim

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have one of the Minim*gs (and a couple other lights) covered in "Sport Tape" (self sticking grip tape - got it at Walmart before the move) and it is pretty nice stuff!

Good texture, not at all grippy the way rubber is. As a bonus it looks "tactical".

I held a Scorpion once, and I'm fairly sure I'd customize it in this fashion!

Stream

Enlightened
Jason wrote:
[ QUOTE ]
eBay for lights?? why not shop at a online retail store? The prices I've seen aren't too bad, ~$36 for a SL Scorpion, ~$43 for a TL-2.

[/ QUOTE ]
Take a look at my location: Norway! It's hard finding an online retailer that will even ship abroad, and the ones that do often charge huge fees for shipping -- brightguy charges over $60. After that you also have to add the ridiculously high import tariffs and tax for items over $30 when it arrives at customs in Norway. Ebay sellers usually never have trouble marking the package as a gift or a value less than $30, and they have much more reasonable shipping prices (including tracking and insurance).
[ QUOTE ]
So the TL-2 is smaller, has a glass lens, and a different body/switch. Those three are the primary differences.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is the head on the TL-2 the same diameter as the Scorpion?

Stingray wrote:
[ QUOTE ]
If you go to any motorcycle store you can buy grip glue which is used to glue the grips onto handlebars, clip ons etc. It works great on the scorpion and it will last until you want to take the rubber off.

[/ QUOTE ]
So you've had the rubber sleeve on your Scorpion slip off, how far does it slip?
By the way, when would you want to take the rubber off? When it's worn out and needs replacing?

[ QUOTE ]
The scorpion is a great light and I've gotten a lot of use from mine. You can find them on sale for about $20 every once in a while.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll take a dozen lol.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stream - I am aware of your location in Norway. I have shipped internationally before and I can get a light out to Norway for $5 or $9 depending on package size using USPS Global Priority Mail and that takes about 4-6 days.

www.productwizard.com is like an hour and a half aweay and they carry Streamlight and Surefire products (but with gas prices and all at $2.60 a gallon it is probbbaly cheaper just to ship it.) So if you need anything fowarded. I can make a trip down there and then to the post office.

I think marked as gift from me, there shouldn't be any customs and it is a heck of a lot cheaper than $60! (thinking, $8 to ship to me and I get it the next day.)

I'll give you a shout today of what kind of militarty pricing I can get on flashlights (Scorpion and TL-2.)

Jason

Stream

Enlightened
Wow, thanks Jason. That's a very gracious offer. I love CPF, people here really go the extra mile (literally in your case). I already have the Scorpion, but I'm really interested in the TL2 (especially the new LED version). I'm also very interested in the TL3 -- unless you know of a brighter light for the same price. BTW, you mentioned military pricing, are you in the military?
[ QUOTE ]
but with gas prices and all at $2.60 a gallon.........

[/ QUOTE ]
$2.60 a gallon? That's cheap! How about $9 a gallon? That's what gas costs over here lol.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Rats! I couldn't find the stuff on Walmart.com!

I'm telling you this Sport Tape (I really think that is what it said on the package - I just have no idea where the package or the roll of tape are since we moved!) is the stuff. It is a friction kind of tape, with a cloth-like feel to it.

I have it covering the better part of a 3D M*g, 95% of a Minim*g with an Opalec and a tail switch, approxamately 45% of my Elektrolux Starlux and some of it is holding the bezel on an old Sams Club 3D (Rayovac Industrial). It is never cold or hot to the touch, just nice.

And YIPPEE! I found what's left of the roll! And there is still at least one big light worth left!!!

Need to look for more next time at Wallyworld!

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can also use friction tape, from any hardware store, or skateboard tape from any sporting goods store.

I like the rubber sleeve more than tape. The tape is too sticky for me.

Stream, the sleeve slips down only a millimeter or two and then stays there, but you might notice it when you use the clicky, depending on how big your thumb is. Grip glue works the best, hairspray works too.

Trashman, WD-40 doesn't hurt rubber and is easy to clean off but I'd just lift up the edge with a screwdriver and shoot some compressed air up there to remove the sleeve.

Stream

Enlightened
How would you customize the Scorpion with this tape? Would you take off the sleeve and replace it with tape or wrap the tape over it?

[ QUOTE ]
Stream, the sleeve slips down only a millimeter or two and then stays there, but you might notice it when you use the clicky, depending on how big your thumb is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? It sounded to me like it slipped almost all the way off, that's what had me in a panic lol. I find that it's easier to use my index finger instead of thumb when clicking it on, and I've started to use the momentary function (pressing lightly on the switch with my thumb) more often instead of activating it fully when I don't need it for more than a couple of minutes.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I don't remember how deep the cut is for the rubber sleeve. I'd LIKELY take the rubber off, and use the tape until I got the diameter I liked.

quote: I like the rubber sleeve more than tape. The tape is too sticky for me. :end quote

This "Sport Tape" I talk of has NONE of the stickiness you mention. I can't sat exactly what it feels like... but perhaps rough leather is close.

I REALLY like this stuff, can you tell?