NEXTORCH - 300 m long-shot E6        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best cheap Lux III 2xCR123 light?

Flashaholic

Default best cheap Lux III 2xCR123 light?

I've seen a lot of cheap LED lights show up lately, and I'd like to find the best one I can. The ideal for me would be a Surefire L4 body and switch with an Aleph 1 or Aleph 2 head and a DB917 Lux III or something similar. Unfortunately, that solution costs a couple hundred dollars. How close can I come with a cheap Chinese knockoff light (or anything cheap--it doesn't have to be Chinese [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

I've heard great reports about the QIII, but I really prefer the 2xCR123 format. Is there something similar that takes two cells, with good throw, a regulator, and 1-2 hour battery life? I'm particularly interested in lights people have actually tried, not just seen listed on ebay or a website somewhere.

I don't really care about dual brightness, but I do like a good clicky switch. A textured aluminum reflector is also a big plus.

How close do the cheap lights come? I know I won't see anything as good as the Aleph or the Surefire, but how close can I come in a cheap light?

Any recommendations are appreciated.

- Russ

Default Re: best cheap Lux III 2xCR123 light?

If you like the Q3 but prefer the 2xCR123a format, then what you want is Q3's older brother:

TM-301X-3

Also consider the bug-out-gear 3W dropin led module, used with something like the Brinkmann Maxfire (~$20 at Walmart).

I feel like a spokesperson for Inova. INOVA T3! You will fall in love with it! $60.00 +/-. Single brightness level, awesome optic system, textured aluminum HAIII body black with chrome bezel, clicky tail switch. Solid build quality using the best parts and CR123's. I am telling you, you will not be disappointed. Oh yeah and a little over 2 hours of runtime regulated perfectly. Check out http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/inova_t.htm

DanK

The 3W Kaman looks promising: 700 lux, regulated, for about $18.

Among name brands, the 3W 332L by Nuwai (in silver) or Essential Gear (in black) is a great, under-$40 semiflood. These are the lights currently burning a hole in my wallet.

I know it's only about 2.3 watts, but I'm crazy about my 19-LED, 400,000 mcd Quake II 2xCR123A floodlight.

Flashaholic*

Another vote for the Inova T3. Great light, I'm happy with mine. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Blades

Don't rule out the T2
    5 hours of run,nice beam .

I have the T2,T3,T4. All very nice. Will be getting a T1 just to round things out.

Flashaholic

Has anyone tried out some of the recent eBay lights? A search for 3W LED or 3W Luxeon pulls up a number of choices, but many of them are unbranded. Anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks for the advice so far, and for any other tips,

Russ

Try Emilions 15 level Light,
    For more info Check out his site,its 60 bux shipped.

Benny

You can't go wrong with any of the above mentioned Inovas, great lights! Also check Quickbeams review of the Nuwai TM-301X-3, http://www.flashlightreviews.com/rev...i_tm301x3.htm.
    I got a Silver TM-301-X (Q-III's mother) from the nice folks at http://www.eliteled.com/products/fla...tm301x-3.html. Fast delivery and only $42.50 + 5.95 shipping and ins. (USA). I love it, Quickbeam does too.

I'll vote for the Nuwai one as well. I have 2 of the QIII's that i keep as every day carry lights.

Shane

The Inovas are probably the best constructed lights you can find for the money, and the regulation circuits are very good: for example, the T2 gives a lot of _constant_ light over those 5 hours. The only thing is that the prospective buyer should be aware that these are specialized by the TIROS optics. In certain applications, it's great; but in others... I need sidespill!! (That, of course, is a personal preference.) Oh, also, I wish they could accept rcr123's.

Buy a Q-III and upgrade it with ETendue`s 2Stage Switch module.

Or better yet if tou want a light that is HA3
    Etendue sells these:

Q-III Complete set with : 65$
    - Natural HA3 ( Brighter color than JIL-CR2 UP )
    - TX0K (Vf-K, better for 17670)
    - Mineral Glass, O-ring
    - Dual Switch (By Goldserve : Off->Low->Off->High)
    - O-ring at switch, for those who want to elect Q3 up.

I have bought one of these,and they are great [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Great price too [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Benny

Benny, I bought one too, from Etendue (that rhymes), and also would recommend it--the HA3 QIII, I mean. But if r2 prefers the 2xCR123 format: just curious, how about the Streamlight "2L3W"? I haven't noticed much mention of that one. Anybody have one? (It has intrigued me for some reason.) It's a bit pricey, and is not HA3, and does not have the tail-cap-clicky; but it is well regulated and has high/low, and it _looks_ neat. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Another idea for two cr123's: you could use Etendue's dual kydex holster for the QIII. Would that count? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Well,there is always the Q-III Mother [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    It doesent come in HA3 Though,
    I like the Kydex Holster idea BTW [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The Streamlight 2L3W doesent look bad at all,havent tested it though.

Review

Benny

[ QUOTE ]
    MorpheusT1 said:
    The Streamlight 2L3W doesent look bad at all,havent tested it though.

Review

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh; and it looks like the price has come down since the last time I checked. <interesting...> Look at that runtime curve. It might be a good candidate...

-Ben

Another vote for T3.

-David

Flashaholic*

I like my T2 a lot. It is bright and very white. It has usable, but "ringy" spill. The regulation is rock solid. It has HA III finish and is reasonably priced. I got mine at LAPolicegear.com.

Flashaholic

I've been a bit concerned about the lack of spill in the Inova T series based on other people's reports. Having a tight spot is great for the throw and fun to play with, but decent sidespill can save a lot of searchlight-style scanning in practical use.

Several people here have endorsed the T series; do you have any comments on the spill of these lights? I've never seen one in person, so I'm just going on what I've read.

Thanks,

Russ

Flashaholic*

The spill from my T2 is in the form of several rings. It doesn't look pretty on a white wall but in practice it works pretty well. It is usable.

Flashaholic*

Another vote for Nuwai...

For 1x123 then QIII.
    For 2x123 then the 2 stage TM-301X-3.
    Good throw, spill and color.

I have both and like them very much...

Flashaholic*

I have the T1 (which has about the same beam as the T2 but not quite as bright) and the T3. While both lights use the TIROS and don't have a conventional smooth corona, the T3 has a wider optic in addition to being much brighter, resulting in a much wider "spot." The light is so bright that I couldn't think of any indoor application where you would need to "scan" the light- it really blasts photons like a shotgun and there will be enough ambient light reflected off of other surfaces to see everything clearly. Outside, you will definitely appreciate the extra throw produced by the TIROS. I think the T3 is a great choice considering the parameters you have listed.

I wouldn't recommend the stock TM-301X-3 as it is DD with a poorly heatsinked head. I had mine modded to one of the brightest LEDs I have, but stock it was not very well made or designed.

It does feel really good in the hand, though.

Enlightened

I just received my Nuwai TM-301X-3 last Friday (7/15). Haven't had a lot of time to play with it yet, but so far I'm liking it alot. Its my first Lux III light and I'm favorably impressed with how it stacks up throw-wise against my Stramlight TL2. TL2 is brighter, and has somewhat longer throw. TM-301X-3 has advantage of 2-stage switch and luxeon durability and is still mighty bright on the high setting. This unit may end up becoming my "go to" light.

Does theSurefire F04 e series beamshaper fit on any of the Inova lights?

Enlightened

The Pelican M6 LED is not bad for the bucks. You get a combination of a great flood beam with considerable throw. Bout 100-120 minutes runtime. I don't know if this is considered "cheap" for you, but it's a great light for the price! You can get a good deal on this light here: http://www.batterystation.com/m6led.htm

Flashaholic*

didnt read a single post but here is my recomendation http://www.szwholesale.com/product_i...products_id=35

The light I tested is one of those, but with a Digilight logo on it. That one may or may not have the same bin star in it, but mine is TW0J.

http://lights.chevrofreak.com/roger/comparagraph.png

When my new equipment shows up I'll do a runtime test with some CR123's.

Flashaholic

That looks quite a bit like this light on eBay:

eBay search for "MXDL CR123A"

though not exactly the same. Anyone know if these lights are regulated? They look good from the pictures & description, but if anyone has any experience with them I'd love to hear a report.

The eBay lights have 3WL printed on the bezel, and a google search turns up this:

another 3W light with "3WL" as the model number

(scroll down to the one labeled HY-3WL) which looks exactly like the one you linked to. I wonder if they are connected to the eBay lights in any way?

One more question: are any of these lights easily mod-able? Do they use Luxeon Stars, or bare emitters? It's always nice to be able to swap in a new star with minimal fuss.

Thanks,

Russ

- Russ

Chevrofreak,
    Any idea how the 3W light that you recommend compares with the similarly priced 3W Kamen, which is likewise sold by szwholesale? I've ordered the Kamen because it alone claims to be regulated.

Flashaholic

The light he pointed to appears to be the same as this one:

LED museum review of similar light

I can also find a few eBay lights that appear to be the same thing:

ebay search for "us made luxeon 3w cr123"

and

ebay search for "luxeon 3 watt cr123 box"

I can't confirm they are the same light, but they look identical and I suspect they are sourced from the same place.

- Russ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast