best cheap Lux III 2xCR123 light?

r2

Enlightened
I've seen a lot of cheap LED lights show up lately, and I'd like to find the best one I can. The ideal for me would be a Surefire L4 body and switch with an Aleph 1 or Aleph 2 head and a DB917 Lux III or something similar. Unfortunately, that solution costs a couple hundred dollars. How close can I come with a cheap Chinese knockoff light (or anything cheap--it doesn't have to be Chinese /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

I've heard great reports about the QIII, but I really prefer the 2xCR123 format. Is there something similar that takes two cells, with good throw, a regulator, and 1-2 hour battery life? I'm particularly interested in lights people have actually tried, not just seen listed on ebay or a website somewhere.

I don't really care about dual brightness, but I do like a good clicky switch. A textured aluminum reflector is also a big plus.

How close do the cheap lights come? I know I won't see anything as good as the Aleph or the Surefire, but how close can I come in a cheap light?

Any recommendations are appreciated.

- Russ

Galiphrey

Enlightened
If you like the Q3 but prefer the 2xCR123a format, then what you want is Q3's older brother:

TM-301X-3

Also consider the bug-out-gear 3W dropin led module, used with something like the Brinkmann Maxfire (~$20 at Walmart).

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
I feel like a spokesperson for Inova. INOVA T3! You will fall in love with it! $60.00 +/-. Single brightness level, awesome optic system, textured aluminum HAIII body black with chrome bezel, clicky tail switch. Solid build quality using the best parts and CR123's. I am telling you, you will not be disappointed. Oh yeah and a little over 2 hours of runtime regulated perfectly. Check out http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/inova_t.htm

DanK

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3W Kaman looks promising: 700 lux, regulated, for about $18.

Among name brands, the 3W 332L by Nuwai (in silver) or Essential Gear (in black) is a great, under-$40 semiflood. These are the lights currently burning a hole in my wallet.

I know it's only about 2.3 watts, but I'm crazy about my 19-LED, 400,000 mcd Quake II 2xCR123A floodlight.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for the Inova T3. Great light, I'm happy with mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Blades

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't rule out the T2
5 hours of run,nice beam .

I have the T2,T3,T4. All very nice. Will be getting a T1 just to round things out.

r2

Enlightened
Has anyone tried out some of the recent eBay lights? A search for 3W LED or 3W Luxeon pulls up a number of choices, but many of them are unbranded. Anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks for the advice so far, and for any other tips,

Russ

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try Emilions 15 level Light,
For more info Check out his site,its 60 bux shipped.

Benny

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll vote for the Nuwai one as well. I have 2 of the QIII's that i keep as every day carry lights.

Shane

Galiphrey

Enlightened
The Inovas are probably the best constructed lights you can find for the money, and the regulation circuits are very good: for example, the T2 gives a lot of _constant_ light over those 5 hours. The only thing is that the prospective buyer should be aware that these are specialized by the TIROS optics. In certain applications, it's great; but in others... I need sidespill!! (That, of course, is a personal preference.) Oh, also, I wish they could accept rcr123's.

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy a Q-III and upgrade it with ETendue`s 2Stage Switch module.

Or better yet if tou want a light that is HA3
Etendue sells these:

Q-III Complete set with : 65$
- Natural HA3 ( Brighter color than JIL-CR2 UP )
- TX0K (Vf-K, better for 17670)
- Mineral Glass, O-ring
- Dual Switch (By Goldserve : Off->Low->Off->High)
- O-ring at switch, for those who want to elect Q3 up.

I have bought one of these,and they are great /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Great price too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Benny

Galiphrey

Enlightened
Benny, I bought one too, from Etendue (that rhymes), and also would recommend it--the HA3 QIII, I mean. But if r2 prefers the 2xCR123 format: just curious, how about the Streamlight "2L3W"? I haven't noticed much mention of that one. Anybody have one? (It has intrigued me for some reason.) It's a bit pricey, and is not HA3, and does not have the tail-cap-clicky; but it is well regulated and has high/low, and it _looks_ neat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Another idea for two cr123's: you could use Etendue's dual kydex holster for the QIII. Would that count? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well,there is always the Q-III Mother /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
It doesent come in HA3 Though,
I like the Kydex Holster idea BTW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The Streamlight 2L3W doesent look bad at all,havent tested it though.

Review

Benny

Galiphrey

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MorpheusT1 said:
The Streamlight 2L3W doesent look bad at all,havent tested it though.

Review

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh; and it looks like the price has come down since the last time I checked. <interesting...> Look at that runtime curve. It might be a good candidate...

-Ben

matthewdanger

Enlightened
I like my T2 a lot. It is bright and very white. It has usable, but "ringy" spill. The regulation is rock solid. It has HA III finish and is reasonably priced. I got mine at LAPolicegear.com.

r2

Enlightened
I've been a bit concerned about the lack of spill in the Inova T series based on other people's reports. Having a tight spot is great for the throw and fun to play with, but decent sidespill can save a lot of searchlight-style scanning in practical use.

Several people here have endorsed the T series; do you have any comments on the spill of these lights? I've never seen one in person, so I'm just going on what I've read.

Thanks,

Russ

matthewdanger

Enlightened
The spill from my T2 is in the form of several rings. It doesn't look pretty on a white wall but in practice it works pretty well. It is usable.

Luxman

Enlightened
Another vote for Nuwai...

For 1x123 then QIII.
For 2x123 then the 2 stage TM-301X-3.
Good throw, spill and color.

I have both and like them very much...