Luxeon swap scenario: What would you do?

grnamin

Enlightened
I have a U2 with a greenish tint and a KL4 with a very bright, white tint. I'm able to open the bezels of both lights and expose the LEDs for extraction. Would you swap out the LEDs if you were in my shoes? Ideas please.

grnamin

Enlightened
With CPF being down for maintenance and not being able to get any feedback, I got antsy and performed a double transplant operation. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I took the nice white and bright Lux V from the KL4 and transfered it to the U2. I then took the Lux III TX1J I had and put it in the KL4. Now I have a U2 with a beam tint I'm very happy with and a KL4 running on 2x123 (soon to be 1xPila 168x) that has a nice focused beam with good sidespill. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
The KL4 uses a boost circuit, meaning it is very likely the Lux 3 you transplanted into it is seeing 6 volts from the 2 CR123 cells. Im surprised you havent let out the magic smoke already.

A single Pila 168 is still overdriving the Luxeon, but at a much lower level. This combo should run fine, but the LED will degrade (decrease in lumens)much faster.

grnamin

Enlightened
I did see smoke, but the LED kept functioning after that and continues to do so. Analong, good eye. PAM61D. BTW, my current generation KL1 just died on me. I'll probably transplant the driver of the KL1 into the KL4. Would that be a buck/boost circuit because it can handle from 1 to 3 x 123s?

grnamin

Enlightened
Looking back, I think the smoke might have come from the super glue gel I used to secure the LED to the heat sink. I activate the light before it had time to cure properly.

turbodog

Flashaholic
both the u2 and kl4 head use a lux v

you can easily tell by looking at the emitter

a lux 1 or lux 3 has a single die emitter

a lux v has 4 dies on the emitter, the yellow area is MUCH larger than the yellow area on a lux1/3