CPF is, well, bluntly, falling apart....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just What The F**K HAPPENED?

I read that whole Revelations thread three times over.

I'm still lost.

What has happened to the fun, happy place called CPF that i knew when i first joined?

*throws head down and cries*

who....what....when....where....

its like

well....

i guess, when you think about it, we all just generally screwed up.

Bigtime.

Lightmeup

Enlightened
Nah, relax. The number of people involved in that mess are a mere handful compared to the total membership. A couple of folks got a little too profit-oriented and it caught up to them. That's all. It's human nature. The sky is not falling. You are now returned to your regularly scheduled programming. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nethiker

Enlightened
CPF isn't falling apart, it's growing. Some important issues that have been festering under the surface have been exposed and are hopefully being delt with. We have lost people, hopefully some will return, and others will be replaced with new members. Down the road, we will be a better and stronger community than ever.

Let's learn from our mistakes and move on towards a better future.

Greg

jtice

Flashaholic
A few bad apples arent going to ,,, totally, ruin things for the rest of us.

It may have only been a handful of ppl directly envolved,
but it really envolves the entire community.

I would think that it would make ppl think about who and how they do business,
but it seems many just dont care. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

As you said, CPF IS growing,
more members, more dealers, more creators,
there will be bumps and huge pot holes on the road,
but that doesnt mean its not for the best.

~John

AuroraLite

Enlightened
...not. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Greg, well put!

So many things have happened in what seems to be a short period of time, and I have to admit I haven't finished all my 'readings' to get the full and complete picture of 'who, what, when, how...' So I can't say I have all the facts and truths and even though I do, some of what happened had became a well learnt lesson/history.

But I do know what I do/say/act today will always have consequences on where I live tomorrow--and like Confucius have said, 'Do not give, what you do not like to receive'--I believe if we could be kind, considerate, respectful and try to be understanding to each others, we as a community will always stand. Not alone, but together. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grouphug.gif

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF is a great place still and THE best place on the internet for flashlight info and discussion, period.

CPF has an awesome membership and generally people get along great and are respectfull and friendly to each other.

This is all just growing pains and that stuff happens, as long as everyone is willing to let go of the angst, everybody learned and this negative will turn into a positive.

The "CPF Cooldown" was a good idea in my opinion. It made me realize that cpf is a bigger part of my life than I realized (and I need to evaluate wether that is appropriate). It did suck too, I want my CPF! Of course this paragraph is part Sasha buttkiss for that inevitable time in the future that I act like a butt!

This sure won't be the last time that drama pops up, its the nature of the beast.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope CPF doesn't fall apart due to bad apples. Bad apples tend to have tendency to ruin the whole shipment in the 21th century. You can look at London attack. I hope the bad apples will not attack CPF server. The administrator must install strong firewalls and antivirus program. My comment seem repetitive but it is necessary. We must prevail against bad apples for the sake of democracy !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grouphug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are "bad apples" on every forum on the internet, how they are dealt with is up to the moderators of those forums. This isn't a new thing and it isn't going to go away so much as have the effects minimized, John Goncz is a classic example of a "bad apple" if your saying to your self "who is John Goncz?" then the minimalization is working. My sincere apologies if I have opened a basket of bad apples. I would have said a can of worms but who wants to find one half of a worm in the apple you just bit into.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Just my opinion, but I figure CPF is doing about as well as any other BBS.

The noisy folks are most visible. The people who are dissatisfied will be more vocal than those that don't care.

Give it 6 months, and you'll see it wasn't as big a deal as it seemed.

Daniel

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw the turmoil myself and I am truly dissapointed in the people who were involved in the LionCub/Tactical warehouse/Dan thing. Money got the best of em and they, correction, HE deserves whats coming... Hopefully a ban which will thus end half of our problems here. Otherwise, CPF is doing quite well I guess. Not falling apart entirely, its just that a title "revelations" kinda makes us think its over and the attention on the whole issue makes it look like the end of the world. I realized that a few minutes ago myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. All is good neg, and please, visit CPF more often! Not enough youth around here.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the dookie has hit the fan!

I would not say that CPF is falling apart, more like growing pains. With 13,000 to 14,000 members rolling... doo-doo happens. And doo-doo needs to be aired out and then buried.

Luckily, my flashlight purchased have to do with building my own mods (WX1S nFlex Luxeon V 8AA in 2D Mag) or buying lights from manufacturers (Peak and upcoming LRI Proton) I'll go for the turn-key BAM 4 K2 emitter beast in a few months.

An atomic bomb starts off as a single atom splitting....

I saw a newsgroup fall apart and I noted the end was near. It had to do with recumbent bicycles and politics and mudslinging destroyed it. The vast majority of members faded away as the political battles spread into months of crapping on threads, etc.
Luckily, the CPF moderators will not allow that sort of garbage to hit the fan. CPF is not the wild, wild west but it does have to blow off steam every once in a while to expose problems and solve them.
That which does not kill you, makes you stronger.

What a tangled web we weave when we choose to deceive.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
TOTAL disagreement with the title of this thread and nothing could be further from the truth. Call it more "growing pains", and move forward. Don't dwell on the negative, learn from it, and move on!

This still one of the GREATEST communities on the WWW! There are other places and forums on the WWW for those who like to say "Whoa is me, poor me, pity me, I'm right, you're wrong, be on my side". Get it?!

I'd say - move on, learn to step over the pebbles so we can run over them next time (if there's a next time - ahhhh human nature, interaction, and group dynamics - what a science!).

Status
Not open for further replies.