Anti-personel laser pointer

badhorsey

Newly Enlightened
Three hundred bucks for a Leadlight??? Blimey. The same money would get you a 55mw Wickedlasers... although you'd end up in jail if you tried to use it the same way.

LaserFreak

Enlightened
Yeah..no kidding. I don't see how a pulsed laser could cause nausea, either.

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
This does look like an overpiced Leadlight. Maybe with the addition of a screw-focus objective, and pulsed operation.

Nothing that makes it worth a couple of hundred dollars.

I've seen a (real) device like this used on TV. It was about the size of a big 7-cell M@g light, and fired a 532nM green beam about the width of a baseball, and it had a very annyoying flicker rate.

It was used by a prison "response team" (Basically the gaurds dudded-up like a SWAT team) to storm the cell of an uncoperative prisioner. He wouldn't come out of the cell, was suspected of making a knife out of bedsprings, or whatever. It might have even been another guard posing as a prisoner in a training exercise. I was only really paying attention to the laser system. (big surprise! Ha.) The gaurds wore LCD goggles that had a flicker rate timed to the laser's beam, so they couldn't see the beam at all, but the prisoner was blinded as they aimed it on his face just as they rushed him for a tackle, making it harder for him to fight back effectively.

I felt "icky" just watching the flicker rate on TV, I can't imagine what a facefull of that green light would feel like. They should probably call it the "Epileptor 2000" or something.